Man in the High Castle

2»

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    I watched that on Amazon Prime and thoroughly enjoyed it too. I added my comments to the list as well.
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    I watched the pilot but not read the book.

I don't want a spoiler from anyone who has read the book, so can anyone who has not read it, speculate for me as to how the Americans in the pilot think they lost the war?

A big part of the show was the newsreel showing the winning of the war. This means hundreds of thousands or millions definetly knew the outcome of the war.

So are we talking time machine? Or mind control or what?

Like I said, no spoilers from the book please, just speculative chat and theories.

I can see only two possible answers:

1. It is footage from an alternative universe/timeline

or

2. It is fake footage that has been constructed for some as yet unknown reason.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I think there was also reference to either Hoover or Roosevelt not getting elected and a very inept president taking charge instead. Admittedly why the US lost was rather skirted over but then they only had an hour.

Wasn't one of them assassinated?
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I haven't read the book, but what I am suspecting after watching the pilot is that what we are seeing is a parallel universe, and the "Man In The High Castle" is an American in OUR universe who has discovered a portal to the parallel universe, learned that in that other universe the allies lost WWII, and sent the film reel through the portal, perhaps hoping to inspire people to fight the Germans and Japanese occupying that universe's America.

Yes good thinking, this theory makes sense.

Only thing that bothers me about that is that if the Germans won the war in a timeline or parallel universe, then fair dues to them, they won. I don't think outsiders from that timeline should interfere or try to change things.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't one of them assassinated?

Possibly. If (hopefully) the full series is commissioned I'll re-watch the pilot and take note:D Though I'm sure a full series would clarify such things.
    Though how and why the newsreel exists I expect to be teasered throughout, and if the series gets the chop I doubt we'll ever find out:(
    Sadly my aged memory can't quite recall what the conclusion was in the book.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Yes good thinking, this theory makes sense.

Only thing that bothers me about that is that if the Germans won the war in a timeline or parallel universe, then fair dues to them, they won. I don't think outsiders from that timeline should interfere or try to change things.

Interesting point.

Of course, it's possible something went wrong with a time travel experiment in our timeline in the first place, and caused a change which lead to the Nazis winning the war. In that case, the people who remembered the original timeline would merely be working to correct it. It wouldn't be interference.

Are the Nazis working to suppress the newsreel on general principle, and think it's a fake, made as propaganda, or do some of the Nazis know there's been a change to the timeline?

Maybe Nazis from our timeline deliberately caused the change?

I hope the series gets made and we eventually learn the answers. :)
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    It is official. Amazon Prime has ordered a full season (according to DS).
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    It is official. Amazon Prime has ordered a full season (according to DS).

Excellent ;-)
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • moldoviamoldovia Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    After watching the entire series I look forward to season two.