NFL - UK Broadcasting Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I assume that Red Zone will be disabled during the Wembley games forcing everyone to watch that game? Maximise those ratings for the visiting NFL brass.
  • TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mromega wrote: »
    Haven't seen it mentioned above, but Sky will also be showing from next Wednesday and also on Thursday before the game, Showtime's Inside the NFL with JB, Cris Collingsworth and Phil Simms - it's consistently rated as one of the best NFL recap shows on TV..
    Excellent. I watched it regularly when in the States a few years ago and it was head and shoulders above the other NFL review/preview shows. Good rapport between the contributors and less of the hype found in ESPN and NFL Network shows.

Irritating though that Sky haven't put it on Series Link.
  • mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Excellent. I watched it regularly when in the States a few years ago and it was head and shoulders above the other NFL review/preview shows. Good rapport between the contributors and less of the hype found in ESPN and NFL Network shows.

Irritating though that Sky haven't put it on Series Link.

It is a new cast this year, Greg Gumbel hosts with Phil Simms, Boomer Esiason, Ed Reed & Brandon Marshall with contributions from Mike Carey.
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On CBSs coverage of Patriots - Dolphins there was no on screen line of scrimmage or yellow line to show where the first down would be, is this a CBS thing to not have it or was it not working? FOX have it for their match which Sky are showing now.
    Forum Member
    shaun_d wrote: »
    On CBSs coverage of Patriots - Dolphins there was no on screen line of scrimmage or yellow line to show where the first down would be, is this a CBS thing to not have it or was it not working? FOX have it for their match which Sky are showing now.

It's a CBS thing in a way.

CBS only send the First & 10 system to their main game of the week, on the other games it's added down stream at CBS HQ in New York.

Sky take their feed directly from the stadium, so you also don't get the ticker along the bottom of the screen, or the score updates from JB in New York.

Fox add the First & 10 at the stadium for their games.
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a CBS thing in a way.

CBS only send the First & 10 system to their main game of the week, on the other games it's added down stream at CBS HQ in New York.

Sky take their feed directly from the stadium, so you also don't get the ticker along the bottom of the screen, or the score updates from JB in New York.

Fox add the First & 10 at the stadium for their games.

I hate it, I wish Sky would take the network feed for those CBS games. It feels like watching a game from the last Century without the 1st down lines. I can't believe they are doing it this way for another season, that is not the way to draw in new fans.
  • kevthelutonbeekevthelutonbee Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    I hate it, I wish Sky would take the network feed for those CBS games. It feels like watching a game from the last Century without the 1st down lines. I can't believe they are doing it this way for another season, that is not the way to draw in new fans.

Once upon a time the reason given for some of the features being missing was that the NFL effectively controlled what was sent overseas and decreed it was to be the stadium feed and nothing else

In terms of commentary teams Nantz and Simms used to really jar with me, like the job Aikman does but given his history I am probably biased, IMHO he commenates the way he played the game, in an understated manner. Moose Johnson and The Goose have me in stitches some weeks
    Forum Member
    Some horrible mistakes early doors in the C4NFL coverage.

They cut back to the studio on 4th Down and had to replay the Field Goal attempt "off tape" and then cut back to the studio again on a punt reception.
  • AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They cut back to the studio on 4th Down and had to replay the Field Goal attempt "off tape" and then cut back to the studio again on a punt reception.

Teething problems with the new production company I imagine. New studio, and presumably new personnel involved, though it's North One (ex-Chrysalis so ex-Football Italia) so they should know what they're doing.

I would guess the pictures dropping out were an issue out of their control.

Noticably a more serious tone last night compared to previous seasons and no "Ask Mike" either, which may have had nothing to do with NFL but had been an entertaining sideline for a couple of minutes nonetheless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    The HD picture quality on CH4 seemed to be greater than last year.
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Having the Atlanta Braves listed as playing one of the three Wembley games wasn't the best way to start the season
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    Having the Atlanta Braves listed as playing one of the three Wembley games wasn't the best way to start the season

It's the Atlanta Falcons. The Braves are the baseball team. ;-)
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    It's the Atlanta Falcons. The Braves are the baseball team. ;-)

Tell the C4 production team - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bw-AkOaIYAAIbs9.jpg:large
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear.

What's worse is that the falcons logo is a Falcon, in the shape of an F.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Anyone know of any radio commentary this year? Last Year Absolute 90's did the games on a Sunday night at 9PM.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member
    Seems there is no UK channel carrying commentary
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was really weird. They didn't even apologise for their cock up either, just carried on as if nothing had happened. A very poor start.
  • tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know of any radio commentary this year? Last Year Absolute 90's did the games on a Sunday night at 9PM.

Tune in radio app is good. If you input the team name it lists all the stations in that teams radio network. A lot don't broadcast online due to rights issues but there is normally a couple that do. The other option is to buy the audio pass which is good value and mikes cheaper than the TV pass which has UK blackout restrictions.

I dropped Sky Sports and just watching the College season which has all the US production and no uk rubbish and some cracking games. Though Eurosport are good for taking Monday Night Football with US feeds.
  • Staffs SteveStaffs Steve Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Commentators for the Week 1 games,

Packers @ Seahawks (NBC) - Al Michaels, Chris Collingsworth, Michelle Tafoya.
    Patriots @ Dolphins (CBS) - Greg Gumbel, Trent Green.
    49ers @ Cowboys (Fox) - Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Erin Andrews.
    Colts @ Bronco's (NBC) - Al Michaels, Chris Collingsworth, Michelle Tafoya.
    Giants @ Lions (ESPN) Mike Tirico, Jon Grudden, Lisa Salters.
    Charges @ Cardinals (ESPN) Chirs Berman, Trent Dilfer.

To complete the line up's from week 1 - Evan Washburn was the sideline reporter for CBS at the Patriots Dolphins game and Lindsay Czarniak covered the sidelines for ESPN at the Charges Cardinals game.

The week 2 line up's are as follows;

Pittsburgh @ Baltimore (CBS) Jim Nantz, Phil Simms, Tracy Wolfson.
    Falcons @ Bengals (Fox) Kevin Harlan, Rich Ganon.
    Chiefs @ Broncos (CBS) Jim Nantz, Phil Simms, Tracy Wolfson.
    Bears @ 49ers (NBC) Al Micheals, Chris Collingsworth, Michelle Tafoya.
    Eagles @ Colts (ESPN) Mike Tirico, Jon Grudden, Lisa Salters.

And finally the Sunday games on Sky for Week 3 (Sunday 21st September) have been announced.
    Green Bay @ Detroit (17:30) and Denver @ Seattle (21:00)
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see how FOX deal with the two London games they are covering this year. They've not always thrown everything behind their coverage of such games while CBS tend to give it a much higher profile in America (including in Week 4 this season when it looks like it'll be the main regional game)

With the dedicated spot in Week 8 I wonder if FOX will get behind the London game or brush it off as a quirk in the schedule
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the timing on that 'morning' London game? Presumably it will clash with the normal pregame show on Fox so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. Will they go without a pregame show that week?
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    What is the timing on that 'morning' London game? Presumably it will clash with the normal pregame show on Fox so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. Will they go without a pregame show that week?

The London game starts at 0930 ET so presumably the pre game show will simply start at 0830 instead of 1200.
  • Staffs SteveStaffs Steve Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how FOX deal with the two London games they are covering this year. They've not always thrown everything behind their coverage of such games while CBS tend to give it a much higher profile in America (including in Week 4 this season when it looks like it'll be the main regional game)

With the dedicated spot in Week 8 I wonder if FOX will get behind the London game or brush it off as a quirk in the schedule

Yes it's difficult to tell. In Week 4 CBS are sending their highest ranked commentary team of the day (Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts and Jenny Dell) to Wembley, so it looks like the main game for them.

Week 8 is a double header week for CBS and not Fox. It would be hard to imagine that Fox would make their main game of the day at such an early timefor a US audience, unless the Lions and the Falcons notch up an incredibly strong first 7 games.

Week 10 (Cowboys @ Jaguars) is a Fox double header, however the 49ers are due to play the Saints in the same time slot which may be seen as the more tasty game. Games in Week 10 are of course subject to flex scheduling. The Packers @ Bears is the current SNF match for Week 10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    The London game starts at 0930 ET so presumably the pre game show will simply start at 0830 instead of 1200.

0530 PT is awful early for a pregame show though, I wonder if they might just look to fit it around the London game. A little pre match then half time and there should be around half an hour after the game before the afternoon games start.
    Week 8 is a double header week for CBS and not Fox. It would be hard to imagine that Fox would make their main game of the day at such an early time for a US audience, unless the Lions and the Falcons notch up an incredibly strong first 7 games.

It will be their only nationally televised game that week though and you would imagine the NFL will lean on them to give it plenty of hype because this is an experiment and they would love to be able to have an extra time slot for nationally televised games. If this works you could see a game every week in this slot in future seasons.
    Week 10 (Cowboys @ Jaguars) is a Fox double header, however the 49ers are due to play the Saints in the same time slot which may be seen as the more tasty game. Games in Week 10 are of course subject to flex scheduling. The Packers @ Bears is the current SNF match for Week 10.

Sunday afternoon game times aren't set that far in advance. All the games later in the season (outside the Thursday, Sunday Night and Monday national games) are just listed as 1ET if they are at teams in the Eastern or Central time zones and at 4ET if they are Western games. Fox won;t have selected which games they want to move for their double header yet (and as you say Flex scheduling will also apply by then). It is however very, very difficult to imagine that Cowboys @ Jags will be one of the top matchup in that early time slot though, whoever gets moved.