Options

Look Leeds and Leeds United

Comments

• Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Top 2 stories tonight were both Leeds related.

The sports reporter obviously doesn't know much about Sheffield Utd as he kept saying they were in Championship and had to be told be a supporter that they are in league 1

Out of interest, was the reporter Chris Slegg? He is a BBC London man- but was up in Sheffield tonight- see BBC London beyond the M25 thread.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, was the reporter Chris Slegg? He is a BBC London man- but was up in Sheffield tonight- see BBC London beyond the M25 thread.

No it was Look North's own reporter whose name I forget.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    No it was Look North's own reporter whose name I forget.

Oh well, no excuse then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well, no excuse then!

It was Paul Ogden - Huddersfield Town commentator according to his twitter lol.

Obviously Harry and Tanya couldn't be bothered with the wind and snow to go to Bramall Lane.;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Well I've just watched Look North from Leeds here in Caleta de Fuste, Feuteventura.

No local news for us - not even a weather forecast!!!! ;-)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Slegg is a very poor sports reporter as any viewer of BBC London News will tell you, his idea of covering any story is to do a long piece to camera and perhaps interview a couple of people.He has no idea how to put a proper package together.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Well the aerials in places such as Sleaford, Spalding, Skegness and Boston point to Belmont which until 12 years ago broadcast Look North from Leeds. It now broadcasts Look North from Hull.
    And Tyne Tees on ITV instead of Yorkshire :(
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Meanwhile if any further proof were needed the programme is Leeds biased you need look no further than the new opening titles, which were changed this week by pure coincidence. One shot each of Bradford, Sheffield, York and a shot of Leeds town hall, Leeds station and Kirkgate market in, wait for it..........yep, Leeds! You couldn't make this stuff up.
    So no Knaresborough or Harrogate either? Or Bedale or Ripon or Northallerton or .... etc. The titles are only short and cannot feature every single place in the whole of the region they cover.

What a nonsense argument. Much the like OP's.
    twarde wrote: »
    Well I've just watched Look North from Leeds here in Caleta de Fuste, Feuteventura. No local news for us - not even a weather forecast!!!! ;-)
    Not really much point in a weather forecast for Spain, really! "It's going to be sunny" doesn't take long to say ;)
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Tyne Tees on ITV instead of Yorkshire :(

You what? Belmont has never broadcast Tyne Tees.
    So no Knaresborough or Harrogate either? Or Bedale or Ripon or Northallerton or .... etc. The titles are only short and cannot feature every single place in the whole of the region they cover.

What a nonsense argument. Much the like OP's.)

I appreciate that, and indeed I never said they could or should. Rather that three out of the six shots being of Leeds is somewhat taking the piss.

Btw I am the OP
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watch Granada Reports when it comes to local news, even though I'm in Chesterfield!

Originally it was laziness, getting Granada on ITV HD, and didn't want to switch over to the SD channel. But I like getting all the news from the North-West, makes me feel part of a wider region, and Manchester has always been a "cool" place to me where things happen. Also I like the Granada Reports presenters and reporters a lot more than the ones from Calendar. The folks down at Central News are OK, I suppose :)

It's odd, because national news, I'd always choose BBC over ITV, but regional, I think ITV, or more specifically Granada, are better. Look North used to bug the balls off me years ago, ditto Calendar. (East) Midlands Today was markedly better.

I'm in a black spot for determining which TV region is "mine". I live on the outskirts of Chesterfied, but also equidistant to Alfreton and I'm almost under a Derby postcode. So there's really a choice of Yorkshire or East Midlands regionalised programming... in theory! But weirdly the best signal for us here always came from whatever the transmitter is called that services the West Midlands, so particularly back in the analogue era most people here would get the local (ahem!) news from Birmingham, Coventry etc via Midlands Today/Central as that was "our" clearest local BBC/ITV reception.

In this age of digital, twin tuners, signal boosters etc, it's easier to get the transmitter region best suited to your locale, but I always found it weird that we in this nether-region between Chesterfield and Alfreton would get West Midlands programming when we are flipping miles away! Even back then as a youngster I used to wish I lived in the Granada region: they made Corrie and the King of Manchester Tony Wilson (RIP) read the news. Still Central did make Blockbusters, I suppose :D
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granada News is only regional service apart from ITV Wales that has escaped the mass cuts imposed upon regional newsrooms a few years back.

Granada always gets the best deal. Even ITV London is bare to the bones.

They was the only English show apart from London to keep its full 30 minutes of news, as apposed to 20 minutes mixed with nationwide reports.

Yet, we here in Central got cut to the bones also, when we have an equally important region is terms of potential viewers,

Granada is always favoured by ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Granada News is only regional service apart from ITV Wales that has escaped the mass cuts imposed upon regional newsrooms a few years back.

Granada always gets the best deal. Even ITV London is bare to the bones.

They was the only English show apart from London to keep its full 30 minutes of news, as apposed to 20 minutes mixed with nationwide reports.

Yet, we here in Central got cut to the bones also, when we have an equally important region is terms of potential viewers,

Could be because Granada owns 68% of itv.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »

Totally agree. I have never, ever liked Granada Television and I wonder if that is why I find ITV just has nothing to offer any more?
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carlton had more imagination when it came to presentation. Don't know about programming though,
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some thoughts from the supremo of BBC News:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/31023066

His views on local/regional news are interesting
  • Options
    damocdamoc Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    I'm gutted!
    I've just watched Look NORTH(not Leeds), expecting to see half an hour of Leeds news and features and there was none! That's wasted 30 mins of my life, I may have to complain!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    damoc wrote: »
    I'm gutted!
    I've just watched Look NORTH(not Leeds), expecting to see half an hour of Leeds news and features and there was none! That's wasted 30 mins of my life, I may have to complain!

Yes there was there was Will Cornick losing his appeal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh! sorry that was 1 minute out of 30!
    Maybe we'll get longer tomorrow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh! sorry that was 1 minute out of 30!
    Maybe we'll get longer tomorrow!

Well you have for the last god knows how many years, you had the top two stories last night do you want them every night as you normally get?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some of you on here are deluded and talk cobblers. If you don't like Look North watch calendar for your local news or your nearest city's tv channel (if they have one).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of you on here are deluded and talk cobblers. If you don't like Look North watch calendar for your local news or your nearest city's tv channel (if they have one).

Why should we it's Look North Yorkshire and they should reflect it every night like they did tonight and have news across the county not Leeds.
  • Options
    creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Look North over Christmas , all South Yorkshire News , never cover Calderdale, Halifax and Huddersfield don't get a look in
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are Calendar any better at covering a wider area then?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    You what? Belmont has never broadcast Tyne Tees.
    D'oh! Sorry :blush: Did it again. Got it confused with another local one here in North Yorkshire.

Because of the way the town varies in heights in places I have my aerial pointed at Emley Moor but my parents (who only live a short distance away) have to have theirs pointed at some other one the other way; which I always forget the name of!

ETA: A quick Google tells me I mean Bilsdale.
    I appreciate that, and indeed I never said they could or should. Rather that three out of the six shots being of Leeds is somewhat taking the piss.
    Fair enough, maybe. But hardly that important really.
    Btw I am the OP
    It was so long ago I forgot :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ETA: A quick Google tells me I mean Bilsdale.

Ah that would make sense! Although the regional BBC news from Bilsdale is Look North from Newcastle, not Hull.
    Fair enough, maybe. But hardly that important really.

Well, I think it is really. The opening titles do say a lot, given that half the shots are of the same city. If Look Leeds wasn't so biased in the first place I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, we should just accept that our regional BBC News does cover the whole region fairly and switch to ITV.