Options

Simultaneous episodes of same show.

PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,307
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tonight at 8.00pm, viewers have a choice of FIVE different episodes of NCIS, which can be found on Fox, Fox+, Universal, 5USA and 5USA+1. Is this a record for most different episodes of a show airing simultaneously??

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not as if the episodes in question are all from the same season as the different channels are showing different seasons which is good as people could be watching the show at different paces
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of weeks ago Universal or could have been Fox were showing the same episode with Uni or Fox at 1pm and Channel 5 showing the exact same episode at 2.15!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the guides for the next week I've found another two instances where five different episodes of NCIS will be airing simultaneously, any advance on this? Can we find six?? :D:D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Looking at the guides for the next week I've found another two instances where five different episodes of NCIS will be airing simultaneously, any advance on this? Can we find six?? :D:D

So I can not watch it five times rather than not watch it once? Some of the channels seem to have American soap operas like that on just about continuously.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NCIS is on CBS Action as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, having established that, with 5/5USA, Fox and Universal all showing it, it can end up with five different episodes on at once (when you take the +1's into account), the question is can we find an instance where it's on Fox, Universal, 5/5USA and CBS all at once, thus making six simultaneous airings. Or for even more of a challenge, throw Universal+1 into the mix as well and try to find an instance of SEVEN different episodes all showing at once.
  • Options
    James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    So I can not watch it five times rather than not watch it once? Some of the channels seem to have American soap operas like that on just about continuously.

There is NO Channel in the UK showing an American Ongoing Soap Opera - which is why I won't entertain Pay TV
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get Fox +1 via BT TV but it seems that NCIS is sometimes shown to offen on loads of different channels as has been said.
    I know someone that loves watching NCIS but I have never really gotten in to the show.
    Only two channels can be recorded at anyone time so anyone that loves NCIS would be missing out if it was on more than two channels at nearly the same time.
    We look for a choice of programmes and having NICS on at nearly the same time on more than one channel is not really choice.
    Also the poster above is right in saying there is no longer a US soap opera being shown in the UK.
    Back in the early 90s my sister used to watch The Young and the Restless when she was off high school due to having to get an knee op and she loved the show.
    She also used to watch a US show called China Beach and I used to love watching the US drama Picket Fences.

Darren
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I don't get Fox +1 via BT TV but it seems that NCIS is sometimes shown to offen on loads of different channels as has been said.
    I know someone that loves watching NCIS but I have never really gotten in to the show.
    Only two channels can be recorded at anyone time so anyone that loves NCIS would be missing out if it was on more than two channels at nearly the same time.
    We look for a choice of programmes and having NICS on at nearly the same time on more than one channel is not really choice.
    Also the poster above is right in saying there is no longer a US soap opera being shown in the UK.
    Back in the early 90s my sister used to watch The Young and the Restless when she was off high school due to having to get an knee op and she loved the show.
    She also used to watch a US show called China Beach and I used to love watching the US drama Picket Fences.

Darren

As far as I am concerned when a programme is mass produced like that (as are many other American ones) then it is a soap opera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    American Daytime Soaps are unique, a breed apart, and despite all the reports of their imminent demise, they continue to hold their own sufficiently to exist for today's ever decreasing TV audience landscape

Snap shot

Primetime 18th January 2015 9.00pm ABC 'Resurrection'. 3,220,000

Daytime 19th January 2015 3.00pm ABC 'General Hospital'. 3,183,000
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love 'Bold' and Y&TR to return to UK screens!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    I'd love 'Bold' and Y&TR to return to UK screens!

The last mention of any such a thing was Electric Sofa Media - which turned out to be a load of tripe

The likes of CBS Drama rely on back catalogue titles that they can repeat and repeat

I thought Sky Atlantic would have indulged - but they wheeled out the same old same old as daytime fodder

Stinks - but that's just the way it is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why on earth would Sky Atlantic lower itself to US soaps, they are not exactly HBO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep - better to show X Files, E.R. GREAT!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    why on earth would Sky Atlantic lower itself to US soaps, they are not exactly HBO.

ABC's General Hospital is MAGNIFICENT DAYTIME TV, HBO can go get lost tomorrow .........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    James68 wrote: »
    Yep - better to show X Files, E.R. GREAT!!!!!!!
    still better than any US soap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Denial is not a river in Africa
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denial is not a river in Africa
    I could say the same to you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you don't know Port Charles, NY - then you cannot really have an opinion
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While flicking channels pre-Only Connect tonight, I did spot that CBS Action and CBS Drama were both showing JAG at the same time - would assume this was different eps, though can't be 100% sure - you'd think that it'd be in the interest of channels from the same operator to actually crosscheck for these sorts of clashes, though! May make it difficult for viewers if they're trying to follow the series and accidentally flip to the wrong channel and find themselves at a different point in the run - this is the kind of situation where channel DOGs would actually live up to their purpose!

I seem to recall post-Freeview-addition POP and a then-pre-FV Tiny Pop having Timothy Goes to School clattering into itself around lunchtime for a few weeks, too...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good spot! I've just looked into this further and it occurs weekdays at 2.00pm. Action are showing season 2 whilst Drama are showing season 8.

I suppose it's to be expected that when multiple broadcasters have the rights to syndicated shows, duplication will occur, but as you say you wouldn't necessairily expect it to happen when the two channels showing the same programme are operated by the same broadcaster!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, but is a bit 'boring' alongside 'stacked shows' on channels, as well
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall Family Guy being on BBC Three and on FX at the same time but that is the most I have ever known.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before Christmas BBC1 and Alibi Channel were both showing the same episode of New tricks at the same time. An episode concerning a biker gang murder.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is NO Channel in the UK showing an American Ongoing Soap Opera - which is why I won't entertain Pay TV

I would say that's a good reason to subscribe.