Options

A BBC "channel just for Ukip voters"

jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
Forum Member
✭✭
I've searched and I can't seem to find a thread on this so I thought I'd start one myself.

Anyway, there was a very interesting article in the Independent yesterday about the BBC's plans to launch a channel called BBC Brit:

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/the-bbc-appears-to-have-made-a-channel-just-for-ukip-voters--gJPqj3t9og

An unnamed source within the BBC has been quoted as saying that the channel is being targeted toward the type of people who vote Ukip. So what do you think? Is this further confirmation of the BBC's pro-Ukip bias? Especially when you consider the recent announcement that, in 2014, Nigel Farage appeared on Question Time on more occassions than any other member of any other party

Comments

• Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »
    I've searched and I can't seem to find a thread on this so I thought I'd start one myself.

Anyway, there was a very interesting article in the Independent yesterday about the BBC's plans to launch a channel called BBC Brit:

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/the-bbc-appears-to-have-made-a-channel-just-for-ukip-voters--gJPqj3t9og

An unnamed source within the BBC has been quoted as saying that the channel is being targeted toward the type of people who vote Ukip. So what do you think? Is this further confirmation of the BBC's pro-Ukip bias? Especially when you consider the recent announcement that, in 2014, Nigel Farage appeared on Question Time on more occassions than any other member of any other party
    This is misleading. It's up to each political party to put forward representatives to appear on programmes like Question Time. In Ukip's case (for fairly obvious reasons) they always put up Farage, whereas the other parties spread the load amongst many people. The question you should be asking is whether Ukip appeared on Question Time more times than any other party - and the answer to that is no.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member

Yep, aimed at the type of people who vote Ukip, only if you live in Poland though, and I doubt you would catch many Ukip voters in Poland.

It's not a UK channel, but one of BBC Worldwide's portfolio.

Is the commissioning template awful? Yep, but a lot of channels/media organisations talk in this type of language.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and you should also realise that whenever a newspaper quotes an "unnamed source" you can bet your life they made the quote up themselves.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I thought that the BBC hated UKIP.

UKIP supporters and politicians keep saying so :p

But aye if the new channel is aimed at people who would likely vote UKIP, it is sort of odd for them to be showing it in Poland rather than the UK...
    Unless the common thing is the rough demographic that matches.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The presentation in the link is very amusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is misleading. It's up to each political party to put forward representatives to appear on programmes like Question Time. In Ukip's case (for fairly obvious reasons) they always put up Farage, whereas the other parties spread the load amongst many people. The question you should be asking is whether Ukip appeared on Question Time more times than any other party - and the answer to that is no.

Farage is just the most prominent case. As a regular viewer of QT, I can assure you that Paul Nuttall and Suzanne Evans have also appeared on multiple occassions. There are probably others whose names I've forgotten.
    mromega wrote: »
    Yep, aimed at the type of people who vote Ukip, only if you live in Poland though, and I doubt you would catch many Ukip voters in Poland.

It's not a UK channel, but one of BBC Worldwide's portfolio.

Is the commissioning template awful? Yep, but a lot of channels/media organisations talk in this type of language.

When the article says "Ukip voters" I assume they mean the type of people who characteristically vote Ukip, rather than actual Ukip voters. And there are definitely these elements in Polish society. Ukip sit in the European parliament alongside a Polish party with even more extreme views. Racism has been identified as a major problem in Polish society recently, especially amongst football hooliganism firms, which are alive and well over there as detailed in a BBC documentary a few years ago which led to concerns as to their suitability to host Euro 2012. It is disturbing to think that license fee money is being spent to pour petrol on this fire. And, in any case, the BBC press release says that the channel is launching in Poland but that it will be expanded to other territories in the coming months and years. The fact that it is planning to commission its own original programming indicates that it is very likely we will see this channel launching in Britain at some point, especially seeing as it has been named BBC Brit. Clue is in the name and all that...
    Oh, and you should also realise that whenever a newspaper quotes an "unnamed source" you can bet your life they made the quote up themselves.

Do you have a source for that claim? You may well be right about the tabloid press but this is the prestigious The Independent we're talking about here. They can't just make stuff up when they've got such a reputation to uphold.
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The presentation in the link is very amusing.

Isn't it just? BBC Brit? It sounds like something out of a Chris Morris sketch! I've never read quite so much bullshit marketing jargon in my life!
    Nilrem wrote: »

But aye if the new channel is aimed at people who would likely vote UKIP, it is sort of odd for them to be showing it in Poland rather than the UK...

That is what they always claim but, as seen here, the empirical evidence suggests otherwise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is disturbing to think that license fee money is being spent to pour petrol on this fire.
    This channel will be wholly owned and operated by BBC Worldwide, which means no licence fee money is involved at all.
    And, in any case, the BBC press release says that the channel is launching in Poland but that it will be expanded to other territories in the coming months and years. The fact that it is planning to commission its own original programming indicates that it is very likely we will see this channel launching in Britain at some point, especially seeing as it has been named BBC Brit. Clue is in the name and all that...
    There is absolutely no indication this channel will ever be launched in the UK. It's clearly intended for the international market.
    Do you have a source for that claim? You may well be right about the tabloid press but this is the prestigious The Independent we're talking about here. They can't just make stuff up when they've got such a reputation to uphold.
    Have you not noticed that every single reference to Ukip is from an anonymous unnamed source. There's nothing from BBC Worldwide to link the channel to Ukip or Ukip voters. You may also have noticed the headling (written by the journalist) which says the BBC "appears" to be making a channel for Ukip voters. This is just typical tabloid journalism. I think we should expect higher standards from the "prestigious" Independent.
    That is what they always claim but, as seen here, the empirical evidence suggests otherwise
    There's no evidence whatsoever, it's just journalistic bombast.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »

It's basically the international version of "Dave" which BBC Worldwide owns the controlling stake in.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Farage is just the most prominent case. As a regular viewer of QT, I can assure you that Paul Nuttall and Suzanne Evans have also appeared on multiple occassions. There are probably others whose names I've forgotten.

When the article says "Ukip voters" I assume they mean the type of people who characteristically vote Ukip, rather than actual Ukip voters. And there are definitely these elements in Polish society. Ukip sit in the European parliament alongside a Polish party with even more extreme views. Racism has been identified as a major problem in Polish society recently, especially amongst football hooliganism firms, which are alive and well over there as detailed in a BBC documentary a few years ago which led to concerns as to their suitability to host Euro 2012. It is disturbing to think that license fee money is being spent to pour petrol on this fire. And, in any case, the BBC press release says that the channel is launching in Poland but that it will be expanded to other territories in the coming months and years. The fact that it is planning to commission its own original programming indicates that it is very likely we will see this channel launching in Britain at some point, especially seeing as it has been named BBC Brit. Clue is in the name and all that...

Isn't it just? BBC Brit? It sounds like something out of a Chris Morris sketch! I've never read quite so much bullshit marketing jargon in my life!

Absolutely hilarious
  • Options
    PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a load of nonsense.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You had me on this for twenty seconds then I read what it's about and saw I was duped and the article is trash.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So according to the sample schedule that means anyone who watches Would I Lie to You, Sherlock, Live at the Apollo or the Graham Norton Show is more likely to be a UKIP Voter ?

I recall the same was said about Farage and Question Time in 2012 as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This channel will be wholly owned and operated by BBC Worldwide, which means no licence fee money is involved at all.

BBC Worldwide, whose profits are wholly returned to the BBC to supplement revenues from the license fee. So where do you think they got the funding to start this channel up? Either way, it's immaterial. My main point that BBC funds are being used to pour fuel of the fire of racism in Polish society stands.
    There is absolutely no indication this channel will ever be launched in the UK. It's clearly intended for the international market.

The fact that the channel is going to commission its own original programming and has been named BBC Brit are both quite clear indications that the end goal is to launch this channel in the UK at some point in the future.
    Have you not noticed that every single reference to Ukip is from an anonymous unnamed source. There's nothing from BBC Worldwide to link the channel to Ukip or Ukip voters. You may also have noticed the headling (written by the journalist) which says the BBC "appears" to be making a channel for Ukip voters. This is just typical tabloid journalism. I think we should expect higher standards from the "prestigious" Independent.

Obviously it is from an unnamed source. They would risk losing their job if they went on the record with this. Trade secrets and all that. And of course, BBC Worldwide haven't made a direct link between this service and Ukip. The BBC, by the terms of their charter, can't be seen to link any with their services with any political party, movement or ideology. And, as the unnamed source said, the service may target Ukip voters but won't necessarily find its audience amongst Ukip voters: "it’s what a Guardian reading BBC exec thinks people in Ukip want". You've got to read between the lines. The service is obviously being targeted not necessarily at Ukip voters, but rather people who share the beliefs and values of Ukip voters. Hence why it's scheduled to show hours and hours of Top Gear - a programme well-known for espousing such values and its popularity amongst this sector of the audience. And the Independent is certainly not a tabloid - it has a reputation for its high journalistic standards that would be badly damaged if it was found to have made stuff up.
    There's no evidence whatsoever, it's just journalistic bombast.

I was talking about the empirical evidence that Farage appeared on Question Time in 2014 more often than any other person. That is an undeniable fact. But if you ever tell a kipper that they will deny it, spin the figures (as one has already attempted to in this thread), change the subject or end the conversation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Absolutely hilarious

How is it hilarious?
    What a load of nonsense.

How is it a load of nonsense?
    A.D.P wrote: »
    You had me on this for twenty seconds then I read what it's about and saw I was duped and the article is trash.

How is it trash?
    skp20040 wrote: »
    So according to the sample schedule that means anyone who watches Would I Lie to You, Sherlock, Live at the Apollo or the Graham Norton Show is more likely to be a UKIP Voter ?

I notice you don't mention the hours and hours of Top Gear in the schedule. Wonder why...
    I recall the same was said about Farage and Question Time in 2012 as well

It was true of 2012 and its true of 2014. One of the reasons for Ukip's breakthrough in the past few years is the relentless promotion it has received from the BBC's current affairs/politics programmes, if you ask me
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member

I was talking about the empirical evidence that Farage appeared on Question Time in 2014 more often than any other person. That is an undeniable fact. .

David Dimbleby has appeared more times than anyone else.

Farage may have appeared more times on the panel.

http://thehoneyballbuzz.com/2012/12/14/nigel-farage-appears-disproportionately-often-on-bbc-question-time/

This link has the stats from 2008 to 2012, and Farage was second to Vince Cable at that time. The bigger parties spread the appearances more, as they have a bigger pool.

I would be interested about Natalie Bennet v Caroline Lucas for the Greens, as every time Natalie Bennett opens her mouth you can hear the votes fading away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it hilarious?

How is it a load of nonsense?

How is it trash?

I notice you don't mention the hours and hours of Top Gear in the schedule. Wonder why...

It was true of 2012 and its true of 2014. One of the reasons for Ukip's breakthrough in the past few years is the relentless promotion it has received from the BBC's current affairs/politics programmes, if you ask me

I selected a few programmes form a screenshot, but you must be right I am in absolute denial the fact that a new Channel -that will not be shown in the UK and appears to be replacing existing channel BBC Entertainment - and shows Top gear then it must be for militant UKIP voters, UKIP Voters initially from Poland I see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    David Dimbleby has appeared more times than anyone else.

Farage may have appeared more times on the panel.

http://thehoneyballbuzz.com/2012/12/14/nigel-farage-appears-disproportionately-often-on-bbc-question-time/

This link has the stats from 2008 to 2012, and Farage was second to Vince Cable at that time. The bigger parties spread the appearances more, as they have a bigger pool.

I would be interested about Natalie Bennet v Caroline Lucas for the Greens, as every time Natalie Bennett opens her mouth you can hear the votes fading away.

Well, yes, if you must be pedantic, Farage appeared on the panel on Question Time in 2014 more often than any other person. I'm sure you and everyone else knew my meaning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Worldwide, whose profits are wholly returned to the BBC to supplement revenues from the license fee. So where do you think they got the funding to start this channel up? Either way, it's immaterial. My main point that BBC funds are being used to pour fuel of the fire of racism in Polish society stands.
    BBC Worldwide does not receive ANY income from the BBC or from the licence fee. It raises its own funding through business loans on the basis of the likely profit it will make. How can this point be "immaterial"? Your main argument that BBC funds are being used is totally and utterly wrong.
    The fact that the channel is going to commission its own original programming and has been named BBC Brit are both quite clear indications that the end goal is to launch this channel in the UK at some point in the future.
    It doesn't suggest anything of the sort. The name BBC Brit could easily mean they will be taking the best of the BBC's homegrown British output and showing it around the world. Your claim is pure guesswork - and pretty baseless guesswork at that.
    Obviously it is from an unnamed source. They would risk losing their job if they went on the record with this. Trade secrets and all that. And of course, BBC Worldwide haven't made a direct link between this service and Ukip. The BBC, by the terms of their charter, can't be seen to link any with their services with any political party, movement or ideology. And, as the unnamed source said, the service may target Ukip voters but won't necessarily find its audience amongst Ukip voters: "it’s what a Guardian reading BBC exec thinks people in Ukip want". You've got to read between the lines. The service is obviously being targeted not necessarily at Ukip voters, but rather people who share the beliefs and values of Ukip voters. Hence why it's scheduled to show hours and hours of Top Gear - a programme well-known for espousing such values and its popularity amongst this sector of the audience. And the Independent is certainly not a tabloid - it has a reputation for its high journalistic standards that would be badly damaged if it was found to have made stuff up.
    Every reference in that article - and in your post - to Ukip and Ukip voters is directly attributed to an unnamed source. Even if you're gullible enough to believe that's a real person and not just the rantings of the journalist, if you don't know who this person is then how can you possibly give their comments any credibility. They could be a complete moron for all you know, or someone with a grudge!
    I was talking about the empirical evidence that Farage appeared on Question Time in 2014 more often than any other person. That is an undeniable fact. But if you ever tell a kipper that they will deny it, spin the figures (as one has already attempted to in this thread), change the subject or end the conversation.
    No need to spin any figures. If every time Conservative, Labour or Liberal representatives were invited on the programme they sent in their leader, then things would look quite different. The fact that they don't is down to the parties, not the BBC. You're accusing the BBC of bias just because the parties choose to send different people each week. Pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I selected a few programmes form a screenshot, but you must be right I am in absolute denial the fact that a new Channel -that will not be shown in the UK and appears to be replacing existing channel BBC Entertainment - and shows Top gear then it must be for militant UKIP voters, UKIP Voters initially from Poland I see.

If you had bothered to read my posts in this thread, you would have seen that I have already addressed this point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you are saying that the programmes to be shown are all racist and designed to fuel racism ? such as Room 101 . How come they are on the BBC already in UK with no complaint and shown by other channels as repeats ?

The channel will not launch in the UK just as BBC America which is basically the American version of BBC Brit has not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you had bothered to read my posts in this thread, you would have seen that I have already addressed this point

You may call it addressing others may see it as changing your own goalposts when the faults were pointed out in your argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Worldwide does not receive ANY income from the BBC or from the licence fee. It raises its own funding through business loans on the basis of the likely profit it will make. How can this point be "immaterial"? Your main argument that BBC funds are being used is totally and utterly wrong.

I never said they did. In fact, I said the opposite. That profits from BBC Worldwide are returned to the BBC in the UK to supplement license fee revenue. Improve your reading comprehension if you're going to enter into discussions on a public forum. And it is an immaterial point because, whomever may be putting up the funding for this service, it will still be a BBC-run service carrying the BBC branding attempting to court a bigoted audience in a country which already has difficulties with issues like this.
    It doesn't suggest anything of the sort. The name BBC Brit could easily mean they will be taking the best of the BBC's homegrown British output and showing it around the world. Your claim is pure guesswork - and pretty baseless guesswork at that.

Well, then, you have obviously taken a different interpretation to me. And you haven't addressed the fact that they will be commissioning their own original programming alongside BBC series. What was that I was saying about the standard of your reading comprehension? We shall both see who is right at some point in the next few years.
    Every reference in that article - and in your post - to Ukip and Ukip voters is directly attributed to an unnamed source. Even if you're gullible enough to believe that's a real person and not just the rantings of the journalist, if you don't know who this person is then how can you possibly give their comments any credibility. They could be a complete moron for all you know, or someone with a grudge!

Quite ironically, you haven't cited a source for these baseless claims. And I would suggest it is you who is gullible if you think the Independent are going to risk their journalistic reputation on a story like this.
    No need to spin any figures. If every time Conservative, Labour or Liberal representatives were invited on the programme they sent in their leader, then things would look quite different. The fact that they don't is down to the parties, not the BBC. You're accusing the BBC of bias just because the parties choose to send different people each week.

So you're spinning the figures to disprove my point that, when confronted with empirical data, certain people have a tendency to spin the figures? 10/10 for irony. In any case, as I've already detailed in this thread, Ukip don't always send Farage to represent them on QT. Paul Nuttall and Suzanne Evans have both appeared on several occassions. There was also another female Ukip MEP who appeared on the programme whose name I've forgotten but I remember she took umbrage with some of the comments made by Joey Barton, who appeared on the same edition. Anyway, the fact that members of Ukip have appeared so frequently when they only have 2 MPs and they are both recent defectors is indicative of a Ukip bias at the BBC.
    Pathetic.

Is there really any need to get so personal and resort to insults?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you are saying that the programmes to be shown are all racist and designed to fuel racism ? such as Room 101 . How come they are on the BBC already in UK with no complaint and shown by other channels as repeats ?

The channel will not launch in the UK just as BBC America which is basically the American version of BBC Brit has not.

No, such as Top Gear, the main programme that the entire schedule of this channel seems to have been built around.
    You may call it addressing others may see it as changing your own goalposts when the faults were pointed out in your argument.

It's hardly changing the goalposts. It's clearly detailed in the article I linked to in the OP: "It’s worse than BBC Ukip - it’s what a Guardian reading BBC exec thinks people in Ukip want". In other words, this channel will probably find an audience amongst those who share Ukip's values and beliefs, but not necessarily vote for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said they did. In fact, I said the opposite. That profits from BBC Worldwide are returned to the BBC in the UK to supplement license fee revenue. Improve your reading comprehension if you're going to enter into discussions on a public forum. And it is an immaterial point because, whomever may be putting up the funding for this service, it will still be a BBC-run service carrying the BBC branding attempting to court a bigoted audience in a country which already has difficulties with issues like this.

Well, then, you have obviously taken a different interpretation to me. And you haven't addressed the fact that they will be commissioning their own original programming alongside BBC series. What was that I was saying about the standard of your reading comprehension? We shall both see who is right at some point in the next few years.

Quite ironically, you haven't cited a source for these baseless claims. And I would suggest it is you who is gullible if you think the Independent are going to risk their journalistic reputation on a story like this.

So you're spinning the figures to disprove my point that, when confronted with empirical data, certain people have a tendency to spin the figures? 10/10 for irony. In any case, as I've already detailed in this thread, Ukip don't always send Farage to represent them on QT. Paul Nuttall and Suzanne Evans have both appeared on several occassions. There was also another female Ukip MEP who appeared on the programme whose name I've forgotten but I remember she took umbrage with some of the comments made by Joey Barton, who appeared on the same edition. Anyway, the fact that members of Ukip have appeared so frequently when they only have 2 MPs and they are both recent defectors is indicative of a Ukip bias at the BBC.

Is there really any need to get so personal and resort to insults?
    I see exactly what other people mean when they talk about you moving the goalposts when the flaws in your arguments are pointed out. You specifically said that licence fee money is being spent on this channel, and when you were corrected you then changed it to claim you were saying the opposite.

I'm amazed you've got the nerve to talk about other people's reading comprehension when you've been so completely taken in by an obvious tabloid bullshit. Shame on the Independent for lowering their standards so much, but even more shame on you for being so gullible and stupid as to believe it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's clearly detailed in the article I linked to in the OP: "It’s worse than BBC Ukip - it’s what a Guardian reading BBC exec thinks people in Ukip want". In other words, this channel will probably find an audience amongst those who share Ukip's values and beliefs, but not necessarily vote for them.
    According to who? This quote didn't come from the BBC or even from BBC Worldwide. No, the quote you refer to is apparently from an unnamed source who does not appear to speak on behalf of, or represent, the channel in any way.

When will it sink in? This journalist has taken a small bit of publicity material and then constructed an entirely fictional story around it.