Options

Am I the only forum member who dislikes the Carter family?

~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
Forum Member
I cannot take to the Carters, with the exception of Shirley. I've not warmed to one of them and I wouldn't miss them if they were axed tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed Stan. I've liked Nancy at times, but now I just want them off the screen. So no, you're not alone.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I cannot take to the Carters, with the exception of Shirley. I've not warmed to one of them and I wouldn't miss them if they were axed tomorrow.
    No. I like Stan; otherwise I'm not keen.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do a search and you'll find loads of 'I hate the Carters' type threads.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

nope, you are not alone, I am fed up with the lot of them
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Nope, they are very much hated on this forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Why is there so much hatred for them. I dont mind them. The only ones i didnt like are gone/going... tosh and lee abd babe. Shame johnny went though. The rest r ok.
  • Options
    ARYMARYM Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole of Eastenders is terrible TV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bizzee_bee wrote: »
    Why is there so much hatred for them. I dont mind them. The only ones i didnt like are gone/going... tosh and lee abd babe. Shame johnny went though. The rest r ok.

Johnny was good. He was pleasant to watch. Nancy's not too bad and I'd like to see more of Lee. It's just Linda, Mick, Shirley, Dean and Stan who are constantly just *there*

Did you see Mick when he accidentally confused Linda for Tanya? He didn't need to be in that scene.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

No. Just by a vocal minority who create thread after thread slagging them off. It's rinse and repeat on basis that if they say it often enough it somehow makes it the truth.

Poll in last few weeks showed them to be popular with majority. Ignored by minority of course! So it continues - rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I like Shirley, Stan and Nancy mainly. And Babe and Buster but technically she is a 'Smith and he is a 'Briggs'. :)

Mick and Linda need to be toned down but I don't dislike them, like next week, Linda is involved with Sharon's story, Kat's story and her own with the baby and Dean...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    No. Just by a vocal minority who create thread after thread slagging them off. It's rinse and repeat on basis that if they say it often enough it somehow makes it the truth.

Poll in last few weeks showed them to be popular with majority. Ignored by minority of course! So it continues - rinse and repeat.

Don't be so horrible! Everyone on this forum is so negative these days.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member

absolutely not! i always feel like im missing something, as this forum has an OTT love for the Carters, where as i could not care less.
    i dont dislike them, but if they were to be axed tomorrow it would not bother me in the slightest.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I love Nancy and Stan. Linda is decent on her own, but with Mick she can grate as I don't like Danny Dyer. And Tina is likeable and I enjoy her scenes with Sonia.

I would not miss Mick, Lee, Aunt Babe, and especially Dean, who I feel is overrated.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Shirley is still my favourite, followed by Stan. I like Babe, and Mick and Linda make great landlords. Don't mind Nancy and Lee, but dislike Tina, and never got the Johnny hype....he was wet.

I don't think there's a family in EE where I like them all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Nearly every EE thread ends up with hate for the Carters, it's probably the most overly discussed topic I've seen. There is a post on the first page about Lee that I'm not even bothering to open because I know the way the thread will pan out.

Personally, I like them all. They're an important part of EE now and a big reason why the show is on the rise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't like them either. They are just so deeply bland and nowhere near involved enough in other people's stories. Their general integration is poor, they just seem like-hangers on, shoved in our faces in the hope we will like them more, but that's not how it works. A lot of them have also been poorly cast - Danny Dyer and Kellie Bright are terrible actors, Lee and Nancy we barely know, and there's far too many of them as well.

I confidently predict not one of them will still be there in 2020.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Don't be so horrible! Everyone on this forum is so negative these days.

I am confused by your contradictory posts.

A recent poll showed that 75% + like the Carters.
  • Options
    Julie_SmithJulie_Smith Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    What annoys me is nancys constant whining to mick about dean,a man who raped her mother and was going to burn down the vic,
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't like mick and Linda. They are more bareae as background characters but they've been shoved down our throats last year that hey need to stock as such for a lot of people to warm/enjoy it then again. They work in the vic though but they should have any stpories for a while. Lee and Nancy should and they Cavan just push those stories along. Babe also could do with one.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »

Exactly this. Still hoping for one big anti-Carter thread so people can congregate there to whine about the big bad Carters instead of trying to pretend that everyone hates them because they shout loudest about it.

I think the Carters have been the best thing to happen to EE in years - I like some more than others, but that's to be expected. I certainly wouldn't have any of them (even Shirley who I don't particularly like) at the top of any axe list for the show because they add a lot or have the potential to add a lot.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I like the Carters! :) I especially like Mick, Linda and Nancy. Won't miss Lee though. I'll miss Stan, he's been great. Tina needs to grow up but she can handle a storyline if given one.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike Nancy with a passion. Not the actress. The character.

My only issue in terms of who i like and who i don't. I would love to know how she won all these newcomer awards. Being apart of no storylines and talking in a childish manner somehow makes you connect with viewers and become popular.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly this. Still hoping for one big anti-Carter thread so people can congregate there to whine about the big bad Carters instead of trying to pretend that everyone hates them because they shout loudest about it.

I would LOVE a giant anti-Carter thread where people could discuss their hatred of them to their hearts' desire. Because yes, so many threads just dissolve into anti-Carter diatribe.

I have no problems with people disliking certain characters, or even a whole family. Totally cool. There are a few characters loved by the majority whom I don't like. But to hijack thread after thread just to moan about how terrible the Carters are got old a long time ago.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand Mick. I think the character is actually morphing into a real life Danny Dyer.....god help us all.:D
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the Carters, all of them, but I do think they could have been used more smartly. They've had too many storylines and the old saying 'familiarity breeds contempt' is extremely accurate when it comes to soaps. I also think it was a huge mistake to run the rape storyline so early on in Linda's character life and can't help feeling it would have been more effective to see a slow burning storyline where Dean became obsessed with the whole Carter unit as the perfect family he never had, instead of just obsessed with Linda in a sexual way.

And IMO they're just not the same without Johnny. He gave them a vulnerablilty and sweetness and it just feels a bit empty without him.