Maggie's Death Ray

itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Margaret Thatcher agreed to a top secret 'death ray' laser to be used against Argentina during the Falklands War
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2974203/Margaret-Thatcher-agreed-secret-death-ray-laser-used-against-Argentina-Falklands-War.html#ixzz3T93Jclqq

How cool is that. It was never used but still think its cool.

Comments

• PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    death ray. lol.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, I am glad the British military were taking an interest in this technology. Hope they still are.

The American research in to free particle lasers is fascinating. The will need a mega watt laser to cope with the new hypersonic cruise missiles the Russians and Chinese are building.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds very Flash Gordon like.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

I suggest you repair to your nearest W H Smith and peruse the latest "Guns 'n Ammo" mags along with all the other oddballs.

Or maybe violent computer games are more your bag?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't she project laser beams from her eyes?
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest you repair to your nearest W H Smith and peruse the latest "Guns 'n Ammo" mags along with all the other oddballs.

Knew that was coming.

If you think laser guns are not cool, when they will be able to stun instead of kill like normal bullets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

GGP on his weird pedestal again.

Military tech is very cool for people who follow tech or like to be informed of new advances in military hardware. Just because people of your ilk find it odd someone finds it cool, doesn't mean a lot of people don't.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

Only if you mentioned Arthur Scargill to her.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Death ray, isn't that a large flatfish?
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now every kid can buy them in Maplins and dazzle pilots...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

http://postimg.org/image/4cautc2w5/
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Typical badly researched inaccurate piece from the Mail. Normal search lights were used at Suez, not a "navel laser weapon". The laser wasn't invented until long after Suez.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,578
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »

Military tech is very cool for people who follow tech or like to be informed of new advances in military hardware. Just because people of your ilk find it odd someone finds it cool, doesn't mean a lot of people don't.

Who do not have a girlfriend or any sort of social life
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »

or perhaps you're projecting.

Military tech is cool, it involves state of the art electronics and technology. Not finding it cool probably means you're forever alone.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt based on Tesla tech. The Yanks raided his flat upon his death under the 'illegal-alien law' (despite him being an American citizen for about 60 years) and took away barrowloads of documents, many of which are still kept under lock and key to 'protect the public'.

He was working on a Peace-Ray, the patent is available on the internet but it's missing key elements.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The American research in to free particle lasers is fascinating. The will need a mega watt laser to cope with the new hypersonic cruise missiles the Russians and Chinese are building.

And the rest.. It's a small matter of physics and how quickly you can transfer energy into the target. Railguns still do that bigger, louder, faster. Give or take the challenges of keeping them in one piece.

But the DM article seems to be talking about 'dazzlers' rather than 'death rays', which is fairly old-tech and complicated by this-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_on_Blinding_Laser_Weapons

Which makes it tricky given it's not easy to dazzle without risking permanent damage, especially through optics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

More interesting to 'follow tech' that helps humans instead of killing them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There seems to be quite a few of these threads lately specially designed for nerds and armchair generals that like space invader scenarios.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member

I normally agree with you on most things but I think you're being very harsh here. You are not praising weapons that kill people by saying "hmm lazer technology, that looks pretty cool, I wonder how they are building that". I'm not some war hawk but it IS cool to see futuristic technology and weapons built. It is just a bit of escapism and wonderment.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    More interesting to 'follow tech' that helps humans instead of killing them.

You make it seem like "following tech" is some niche idea for "nerds" as you call them. The world is OBSESSED With tech and I am too. Advancement in technology in normal life and yes military tech is just endlessly fascinating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make it seem like "following tech" is some niche idea for "nerds" as you call them. The world is OBSESSED With tech and I am too. Advancement in technology in normal life and yes military tech is just endlessly fascinating.

I agree, except when you have some posters yapping excitedly about nukes and nuking as though they are re enacting their childhood 'battleship' games again.
    It becomes rather creepy when they talk about hitting Russia hard etc without thinking of the consequences of this particular childhood battleship game being able to hit them and their loved ones back hard.
  • worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, I am glad the British military were taking an interest in this technology. Hope they still are.

That is why Russia and China are building them.
    Area 51 is a smoke screen.
    We no longer need big areas to develop modern day weapons they are developed in tiny backstreet laboratories with very few staff.
    We will never know what weapons we possess until they are used if ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally agree with you on most things but I think you're being very harsh here. You are not praising weapons that kill people by saying "hmm lazer technology, that looks pretty cool, I wonder how they are building that". I'm not some war hawk but it IS cool to see futuristic technology and weapons built. It is just a bit of escapism and wonderment.

Not so cool when NHS budgets etc are being cut to support the development of these weapons.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Especially the military tech that crossed over into civilian life, like, um, I dunno, computers to post things on Internet message boards. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Especially the military tech that crossed over into civilian life, like, um, I dunno, computers to post things on Internet message boards. ;)

So you think the Internet would not be around if not for the military tech?

On the other hand the money not spent on military tech could mean everyone having a better quality of life rather than posting endlessly on Internet message boards...