What would have happened in Doctor Who had Colin Baker stayed past 1986?

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,393
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wanted to expand on a discussion last week about what would have happened in your opinion if Colin Baker had stayed as The Doctor into 1987 and beyond and had achieved his desire to be the longest Doctor ever. It's a sort of parallel thread if you like!

No one knows for certain what would have happened off course, but as I said last week I do believe the Sixth Doctor would have become popular in his own right, based on the more humorous slant he was given in Season 23. In fact it's been stated that viewers were becoming more comfortable with his interpretation at this point after his initial hostile portrayal, so maybe from that point of view his Doctor may have turned out to be quite a good one.

What would have happened with Doctor Who itself is more difficult to predict. I think JNT would have left eventually and maybe the show would have been given the fresh impetus it needed. Would it still have been cancelled in 1989? Who can say for certain? With the same scripts McCoy had in his first Season, it may have stayed the same and maybe that still would have happened. With a New Producer, maybe Cartmel wouldn't have been given the job of script editor and the silliness of Season 24 and cringey issues like the Kandyman wouldn't have happened. With a New Producer, the show could have been overhauled and maybe saved from the axe, but would we then still have the show we have today?

The joy of doing a thread like this is there are no right or wrong answers. It's all down to speculation and what you think. What I think may never have happened, it could have gone in a completely different direction.

:)

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if Colin had a new costume it may have helped. His portrayal in season 23 was much better then the previous one. I think more people would have liked him if he had stayed on. Unfortuntely, the scripts would still have been poor for season 24. Least we would have been spared the awful regeneration in Time and the Rani.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Season 24 was pretty terrible so I'm kind of glad he was spared that, but I would have liked to see what he could have done with the stories from season 25 and 26. Sylvester McCoy was good for the mysterious gothic style that took over the show but he always missed the mark for me when it came to a proper dramatic performance, especially when it came to anger and being an imposing presence.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    I think if Colin had a new costume it may have helped. His portrayal in season 23 was much better then the previous one. I think more people would have liked him if he had stayed on. Unfortuntely, the scripts would still have been poor for season 24. Least we would have been spared the awful regeneration in Time and the Rani.

That really depends on whether JNT would have stayed for Season 24. I wonder if his wish to leave would have been granted had Baker not been sacked.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would have happened if season 23 was the one as planned... and the show had carried on along that course....