The 'Of The Doctor' Trilogy has been AMAZING.....More please

Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
Forum Member
✭✭
I was a massive Doctor Who fan in 2008 and that was soley due to Catherine Tate as the amazing Donna Noble and her partnership with 10!

It will never be topped for me i don't think.

The series badly lost its way for a few years but

I have to say honestly

The Trilogy of

'The Name of the Doctor', 'The day of the Doctor' and 'The Time of the Doctor'

have been INCREDIBLE VIEWING.

Very very emotionally satisfying episodes. The heart is starting to creep back into the series. Something which it has badly lacked since 2008

Highlights include

- The reveal of the War Doctor
- The 13 Doctors save Gallifrey (Especially 'No sir, all 13) That was knee weakeningly epic.
- Tom Baker as the Curator/Future Doctor
- The Belltower Regeneration (so, so epic and heart racing)
- Amy Pond appears (Accompannied by the Rings of Ahkaten theme) SOB

So for me the series is starting to pic up. They just need to not focus on the twisting plots and NON resolutions and have a neat and emotionally satisfying series arc for the 8

Amazing start for the future though.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed "The Day Of The Doctor". The rest have been atrocious.

I thought after the brilliance of "The Day Of The Doctor" it would continue into greater things but sadly, "The Time Of The Doctor" was a very boring damp squib.
  • Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed "The Day Of The Doctor". The rest have been atrocious.

I thought after the brilliance of "The Day Of The Doctor" it would continue into greater things but sadly, "The Time Of The Doctor" was a very boring damp squib.

Wheres i absolutely LOVED it. I thought it was everything it needed to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends of mine, who had an eye on DW but who are not 'whovians' have had the same reaction.

Good for you, OP :)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rewatched The Name Of The Doctor last week and for me it's the best one out of the three, though still not as good as I'd like. I think with this episode it had no hype to live upto unlike the other two which in both cases were a bit of a letdown.

However, trying to be positive, all three were better than some of the earlier episodes of Matt Smith's Era.

Certainly wouldn't call any of them amazing though imo.

:)
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree. Three of my top 5 Who episodes of all time rolled into the space of a few months. Absolutely incredible trilogy in my eyes. We had the tension, the humour, the action and the heartbreaking ends. My personal highlights:

The Doctor says goodbye to River.
    Clara convinces the Doctor not to blow up Gallifrey
    Capaldi cameo
    The Wicked Witch of the Well
    Naked: all of it.
    The bell tower speech.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wearing a wig.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    agree that it is mostly a return to form. Just a couple of points that niggle for me.

firstly it seems that the time of the doctor was the trenzalore incident prophecised in dorium's prophecy as it was shown that no one could 'bear false witness' but it seems the whole 'or fail to answer' part was completely forgotten about as he obviously didn't answer.

secondly he spent 600 years in time of the doctor being the protector of christmas town because it was an ongoing situation when he had resigned to the fact that he would have to stay there forever, and at the end of the episode the situation was still the same and in no way resolved so surely he still couldn't leave, and yet Im guessing they wont want to bog down capaldi's first episode with giving an explanation for why it's now okay for him to leave so it will mean the whole episode will stay forever unresolved
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    secondly he spent 600 years in time of the doctor being the protector of christmas town because it was an ongoing situation when he had resigned to the fact that he would have to stay there forever, and at the end of the episode the situation was still the same and in no way resolved so surely he still couldn't leave, and yet Im guessing they wont want to bog down capaldi's first episode with giving an explanation for why it's now okay for him to leave so it will mean the whole episode will stay forever unresolved
    ..the crack disappeared and The Doctor blew up all the Daleks there. It's pretty resolved.
    Forum Member
    ..the crack disappeared and The Doctor blew up all the Daleks there. It's pretty resolved.
    why would the timelords just leave for no reason. also it was multiple species hanging all around the planet trying to get down there so blowing up a few daleks wouldn't solve the problem
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why would the timelords just leave for no reason. also it was multiple species hanging all around the planet trying to get down there so blowing up a few daleks wouldn't solve the problem

Only the Daleks remained fighting the soldiers of the Papal mainframe. This was explicitly stated in the episode.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the name of the doctor and day of the doctor. The time of the doctor was such a let down and I found myself getting quite bored of it.
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Day of the doctor was great apart from the zygon plot, seemed a waste and just distracting. And then the doctor interfering at the end by forcing humanity to share the planet with an invasing force. I'd have thought he'd have learnt after his last interfering resulted in the master as PM and the all the fun that brought.
    Night of the doctor just seemed to be the usual " if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with B.S". I mean what killed the doctor in the end? Boredom. Clara seemed to be dropped off and picked up constantly to kill time.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day of the doctor was great apart from the zygon plot, seemed a waste and just distracting. And then the doctor interfering at the end by forcing humanity to share the planet with an invasing force. I'd have thought he'd have learnt after his last interfering resulted in the master as PM and the all the fun that brought.
    Night of the doctor just seemed to be the usual " if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with B.S". I mean what killed the doctor in the end? Boredom. Clara seemed to be dropped off and picked up constantly to kill time.

He seemed to do ok when he interfered and forced the silurians to share the earth with the humans, so using Madame Vastra as an example the Zygon story may not be over. They're on earth living in peace (probably). Maybe this could be exploited one day by someone trying to stir things up , like the Master, oh maybe you have a point :) Or they just live happily ever after ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    the whole 'or fail to answer' part was completely forgotten about
    My bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rasp wrote: »
    My bad.

and remember what Raquel (off of Only Fools and Horses fame) said to Clara and the Doc when she explained the TRUTH FIELD:

CLARA: I'm an English teacher from planet Earth, and I've run off with a man from space because I really fancy
    MARTA: I think, perhaps, you should stop talking till you get used to it.
    DOCTOR: Used to what?
    MARTA: What did you say your name was?
    CLARA: Bubbly personality masking bossy control freak.
    DOCTOR: I'm wearing a wig! No, ah, I see. Yes, of course. It's a truth field. Oh, that is so quaint. I haven't seen a truth field in years. I'm wearing a wig.
    ABRAMAL: No one can lie in this town. Especially this close to the tower.
    (The couple walk on.)

http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/34-2.htm
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    and remember what Raquel (off of Only Fools and Horses fame) said to Clara and the Doc when she explained the TRUTH FIELD:

CLARA: I'm an English teacher from planet Earth, and I've run off with a man from space because I really fancy
    MARTA: I think, perhaps, you should stop talking till you get used to it.
    DOCTOR: Used to what?
    MARTA: What did you say your name was?
    CLARA: Bubbly personality masking bossy control freak.
    DOCTOR: I'm wearing a wig! No, ah, I see. Yes, of course. It's a truth field. Oh, that is so quaint. I haven't seen a truth field in years. I'm wearing a wig.
    ABRAMAL: No one can lie in this town. Especially this close to the tower.
    (The couple walk on.)

http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/34-2.htm
    understand what your saying that maybe this was suggestive that he only couldn't fail to answer until he was used to the field but my problem is the question was being asked from the time he arrived and he did at no point feel compelled to answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    understand what your saying that maybe this was suggestive that he only couldn't fail to answer until he was used to the field but my problem is the question was being asked from the time he arrived and he did at no point feel compelled to answer.

A message was being asked from the time he arrived (and across all time and space), but no one knew what the message was till much later in the episode when eleven gave "handles" the Seal from Gallifrey to help him translate it.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On screen time it was straight away that they got to the crack, but I dont think they showed them walking up to the tower and into it. Also no one knew what the question from the crack was until handles translated it and that was only after the Doctor worked out that it was Gallifrey on the other side of the crack.
    So Im deducing that, from the time the Doctor encountered the truth field until he actually knew what the question was, there was enough time for him to be used to it, so that he could stop himself speaking!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good episodes. Loved it. :)
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    A message was being asked from the time he arrived (and across all time and space), but no one knew what the message was till much later in the episode when eleven gave "handles" the Seal from Gallifrey to help him translate it.
    suppose if you think about it like that it just about works. to be honest that's why I like to come on this forum, beecause if something dosen't seem to make sense there's usually someone who can use what was seen to rationalise it:)
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trilogy actually started out quite well I have to be honest I didn’t like ‘Time’ as much as the others.

Steven Moffat to be fair does set up intriguoing mysteries well as so in ‘Name’ and I liked the literal fall of the Doctor with the highlights of the Doctors realisation about Trenzalore ,the good bye to River and the WOW moment of the revelation of John Hurt. Day of the Doctor had the spectacle of the Time War segments, the conscience and the snappy interaction of the four Doctors ‘‘Time ‘ by comparision feels quite dis-jointed and I actually liked Time and the Doctor probably the least.

There have been weak elements in all the stories so the pay-off this year didn’t quite come off on reflection. I was so disappointed that we never saw Clara actually defeat the GI in Name and the whole Zygon plot in Day felt like an insubstantial add to what should have been the main plot of the end of the Time War.

‘Time’ felt ill thought out in part with some terrible comedy for me with the turkey, the Doctor being Clara’s boyfriend ,the naff on-going ‘naked’ joke and the introduction of characters I wanted to care for ( Clara’s family and Tasha Lem) but couldn’t.
    Must admit though I have only been able to see ‘Time’ the once On Christmas Day so maybe a new watch might make me feel differently.

I don’t want really want more like this now to be honest. We’ve had 4 years of eccentric,magical and sentimental story arcs. really hoping for a change with Capaldi
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like all 3 of them, I kind of dont get why the church of the papal mainframe is a church and the nudity bit, but I guess we get 'weird' in Who with so many different life forms ect!
    I agree it has been harder to follow Moffat's story arcs that go across 3 different series, but Im glad they wrapped them up at last!
    I also love Matt's Doctor's regeneration line, Ive just finished re-watching it too!

'We all change when you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives, and that’s okay, that’s good you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.'
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trilogy actually started out quite well I have to be honest I didn’t like ‘Time’ as much as the others.

Steven Moffat to be fair does set up intriguoing mysteries well as so in ‘Name’ and I liked the literal fall of the Doctor with the highlights of the Doctors realisation about Trenzalore ,the good bye to River and the WOW moment of the revelation of John Hurt. Day of the Doctor had the spectacle of the Time War segments, the conscience and the snappy interaction of the four Doctors ‘‘Time ‘ by comparision feels quite dis-jointed and I actually liked Time and the Doctor probably the least.

There have been weak elements in all the stories so the pay-off this year didn’t quite come off on reflection. I was so disappointed that we never saw Clara actually defeat the GI in Name and the whole Zygon plot in Day felt like an insubstantial add to what should have been the main plot of the end of the Time War.

‘Time’ felt ill thought out in part with some terrible comedy for me with the turkey, the Doctor being Clara’s boyfriend ,the naff on-going ‘naked’ joke and the introduction of characters I wanted to care for ( Clara’s family and Tasha Lem) but couldn’t.
    Must admit though I have only been able to see ‘Time’ the once On Christmas Day so maybe a new watch might make me feel differently.

I don’t want really want more like this now to be honest. We’ve had 4 years of eccentric,magical and sentimental story arcs. really hoping for a change with Capaldi

As opposed to the previous five years which had no sentiment in them at all?
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,475
    Forum Member

[Snip]

BIB: I felt underwhelmed by "Time.." at first, but it seemed much better to me on re-watch. :) Too much new stuff going on for me to process the emotional content the first time around. Emotions came through on re-watch.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I loved all three when I watched them. Lots of high emotion, stirring drama, nostalgic nods to classic Who and brilliant comedy.

Of course there are always faults if you look for them (or read threads about them on this forum :D ) but they didn't spoil my enjoyment at the time :)