Pets and the Afterlife

13»

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    This reminds me of something that happened to me when our beloved cat died very suddenly.
    We had just buried him and I was sitting in the hallway in tears, my husband with me.
    All of a sudden, we both heard a very distinct miaowing. We both looked at each other in disbelief because we don't have any other cats.
    We searched out the source of the miaowing and it was from a mug that had been used for coppers in the kitchen. It was one of those mugs that has a cat on it which miaows when you pick it up.
    It was completely full, hadn't been moved, but it was making it's miaowing sound. Then it stopped and it has never done it again and never did it before that point.
    To a couple of skeptics, this was a rather disconcerting occurrence.

Just seen this post.

The fact you both heard at the same time makes it much more credible.

The same as we saw the same things together.

So many unexplained events - it really does lend some comfort.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats go to purrgatory.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    I'll be thinking of you xx

You're very kind!

For time being, we have decided to cancel the PTS. It's too painful, but also he's rallying a bit and doesn't seem to want to go yet either.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a question I asked myself years ago, and I came to the conclusion that no, pets don't go to heaven. Pets are animals, and it seems unfair to send certain animals to heaven because they were elevated in status by the whim of humans; and yet condemn all other animals to exclusion.
    If all animals go to heaven then think about it... the fly that flew into your windscreen? The cow that was slaughtered for steak? Pet mice? Polar bears, jellyfish, algae, amoebas, dinosaurs... where does it stop? Do bacteria go to heaven? (They are technically alive!)

So no, I don't think animals go to heaven. The afterlife is a human construct, designed to give us comfort. I no longer believe in it. I can see the appeal, but I'm not religious and would rather follow the humanist creed of 'One life to be lived to the full.'

If a pet has had a happy existence on earth, there is no need to be sad. His / her suffering and pain is over. We grieve for our own loss - there's no need to grieve for something or someone beyond pain.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought, but if a dog has been neutered, is it reunited with its balls in the afterlife? Would it try to eat Jeanette Winterson's rabbit, which I assume would gets its skin back on entry?

There'd be a few billion Kentucky Fried chickens for us to deal with, all harbouring something of a grudge.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're very kind!

For time being, we have decided to cancel the PTS. It's too painful, but also he's rallying a bit and doesn't seem to want to go yet either.

That's good news! :)
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I may just add this and apologies to people who think it;s rubbish and I don't want to change any ones mind.
    Both my husband and me have had dogs all our lives and had much heartbreak at losing them.When my husband was a boy he had a little lassie type dog who followed him everywhere and he really loved her.When he was about 13 he came home from school one day and she wasn't there.Apparently she had torn the postman's trousers possibly nipped him I don't know,and his Dad had had her put to sleep because of it.I don't think he ever really forgave his Dad and he said the postman probably kicked Lassie which was her name. .He told me all about this .

Sometime a few years back a medium told me that there were quite a few dogs around our house which would seem unsurprising as there had been so many.She said in particular there was a little lassie type dog that was always around.I said 'that's not mine it's my husbands' I told him but as he's a sceptic I'm not sure he believes it.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    eluf38 wrote: »
    This is a question I asked myself years ago, and I came to the conclusion that no, pets don't go to heaven. Pets are animals, and it seems unfair to send certain animals to heaven because they were elevated in status by the whim of humans; and yet condemn all other animals to exclusion.
    If all animals go to heaven then think about it... the fly that flew into your windscreen? The cow that was slaughtered for steak? Pet mice? Polar bears, jellyfish, algae, amoebas, dinosaurs... where does it stop? Do bacteria go to heaven? (They are technically alive!)

So no, I don't think animals go to heaven. The afterlife is a human construct, designed to give us comfort. I no longer believe in it. I can see the appeal, but I'm not religious and would rather follow the humanist creed of 'One life to be lived to the full.'

If a pet has had a happy existence on earth, there is no need to be sad. His / her suffering and pain is over. We grieve for our own loss - there's no need to grieve for something or someone beyond pain.

Exactly. Excellent post
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe only dogs go to heaven I think any animal with a soul will go there, helps I am a vegetarian so not too many will be holding a grudge with me, but also if it is heaven they will be happy and content anyway.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe there is an afterlife for any of us, human or non-human, but I don't find that bleak or negative in any way. Once you're dead you feel nothing and know nothing so how could it be unpleasant?
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I'm afraid I believe otherwise. Just because a cow is turned into steak on this earth at human's say so, doesn't mean the poor thing will suffer the same fate once its in a better place. Who knows, it might actually get the chance to live a happy pain free life, free of being chopped to bits, that it didn't get whilst here. What about something that gets killed long before its natural lifespan is past ( a shot rabbit, a cat run over, or a starved dog etc)? Surely that deserves a second chance at a happy existence free of harm, seeing as someone decided they had the right to take its life from it? A life is a life, whether it's an earthworm or an elephant, just because pets have someone to belong to and other animals don't, doesn't mean they don't deserve the same treatment when they leave this mortal coil.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I had an outer body experience. I was in a tunnel, and my grandfather told me to go back, its not my time. With him were three of the dogs he owned (my grandparents always kept multiple dogs) I asked him why Chloe (my favourite dog) was not with him and he told me she is waiting for me, and I know its true.

I am a medium and I do readings for people, I get so so tired of people who are not spiritual telling me its "rubbish". I don't "believe" in Christianity, but I would never be so rude as to dismiss some ones faith as rubbish. I read a quote once, if you believe, no explanation is needed. If you don't, no explanation would ever be enough. Something like that anyway!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by eluf38

The thing is, every living thing has a soul that moves on after the death of the physical body. I don't really understand where your going with the pets thing if I am honest, yes they are animals, and there is no distinction at all between those who were pets and those that are wild. Its incredibly patronising of you to assume that people like me sit around dreaming of a fluffy after life. I accept death 100%, its obviously going to happen and there is nothing to fear. Also, spiritual planes have been around far longer than social constructs.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I would let you all know that he passed away in the early hours of this morning in his sleep.

He has been taken to a local pet crematorium and the ashes will be scattered in the back garden.

Thanks to all that responded and lots of love to all animals everywhere x :)
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for your loss but a nice way to go - which we all have to at some time or another. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an atheist, but I do hope, wherever I go after I die, that all my past pets come and find me. And if I leave any behind when I die, they find me too. A bit like when Susie found Holiday in The Lovely Bones.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Good girls go to heaven, but bad girls go everywhere"