Options

Best and worst US shows of all time

2»

Comments

• Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frasier...I could watch it on a loop and still find something funny in each episode.

Apart from a mid season dip, it has remained for me, one of the most sublime shows ever. I never, ever tire of it.:)

Agreed. Considering how long it was on and how many episodes were made, yes, it dipped a bit on occasion, but ultimately its a stunningly well written, clever and consistently funny programme. My first ever trip to New York in the mid 2000's was memorable in many ways, one of which was coming back with every DVD box set of the series in my suitcase! :)

To the best list I'd also add Golden Girls and Cagney & Lacey. GG's was compulsive viewing in the mid/late 80's and Bea Arthur as Dorothy is probably my favourite comedy character ever. I've been watching when able the Cagney & Lacey repeats in the afternoon and am constantly impressed by just how good that was.
    I'd include the early years of Roseanne as well, although it did get plain awful towards the end.
    DarthFader wrote: »

Worst
    Friends (I know I am in the minority but the gags are signposted a mile off)

PJ

I'd totally agree with that. I once tried again and again to sit through a whole episode but never quite made it. Cliché, predictable ridden crap!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Worse
    Friends (I know I am in the minority but the gags are signposted a mile off)

^^ Nope, you're not alone, I think Friends is cr@p! IMO its the 90s version of Big Bang Theory where everything said or done by a character is apparently funny.

Best US Shows:
    - M.A.S.H
    - The Twilight Zone (Original)
    - The Simpsons (Seasons 3-10)
    - Lost
    - Breaking Bad
    - Twin Peaks
    - Everybody Loves Raymond
    - Person of Interest (massively underrated IMO)

Worst US Shows:
    - Any of their remakes of UK shows (e.g. The Office, Life On Mars etc)

That's all I can think of at this moment in time.
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really tough, there have been so few that I'd say maintained an impossibly high standard for their entire time on air. That very short list for me is:

The West Wing
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Homicide Life on The Streets
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    Orange Is The New Black (almost reluctant to put this here - 2 seasons isn't enough to test a show's longevity, but the quality of the 2 seasons so far is amazing).

Things like Dead Like Me or Pushing Daisies, that got cancelled despite a fantastic cast and writing. Then there are the things that, when they were great, they were really, really great, but the quality faded over the years. Glee, Lost, Friends, TBBT etc, or just had one dodgy season that means they can't go in the 'great' list - like Veronica Mars. Then there are the shows that other people love, but I can't stand, like Modern Family or Two and a Half Men.

The truly dire - there's very few US shows that I have made it through entire seasons and then gone 'well that was sh*t'! If it's bad at the start, it goes immediately (remakes of UK TV shows are the usual ones that I'll give a chance and then chuck when terrible - Life On Mars, Coupling etc)!
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Worst US Shows:
    - Any of their remakes of UK shows (e.g. The Office, Life On Mars etc.

The U.S Office is wonderful. Too many people have slagged it off in an oddly xenophobic fashion thinly disguised as some sort of misguided loyalty to the British original.

Gervais's version was good for its time, but the American Office is far superior in every way.

As for worst: surprised Two and a Half Men hasn't had a mention yet. Considering it comes from the same mind who created the geek celebration that is Big Bang Theory, I struggle to think of a sitcom that is more hateful, misogynistic and downright cynical in it's worldview.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for worst: surprised Two and a Half Men hasn't had a mention yet. Considering it comes from the same mind who created the geek celebration that is Big Bang Theory, I struggle to think of a sitcom that is more hateful, misogynistic and downright cynical in it's worldview.

You either hate or love Two and a Half Men, which is something it shares in common with it's sibling, The Big Bang Theory. I love both.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best has to be The West Wing.

No idea about the worst as if something is bad then I don't watch it long enough to know it is the worst.
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    You either hate or love Two and a Half Men, which is something it shares in common with it's sibling, The Big Bang Theory. I love both.
    As I mentioned in my post, I can't stand TAAHM, such an ugly, mean-spirited 'comedy'. Strangely enough though, I loved TBBT when it first started. it was adorably quirky, and full of nerd-culture references that were almost entirely absent from any mainstream show at the time, which made it so fresh and unusual. That has just been totally lost over the years, and now it's just a tired old sitcom, churning out whatever 'funny-of-the-week' they've picked for Sheldon, with the rest of the cast basically sleepwalking through the show. Mind you, still makes it miles better than TAAHM, in my eyes!

The very best though, and the only box set I revisit on a yearly basis, is The West Wing. My favourite show of all time, never gets old, and even it's own 'lesser' episodes were just streets ahead of anything almost any other show can do, even at full stretch.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    The West Wing
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Homicide Life on The Streets
    Breaking Bad

I agree with those (with BB and West Wing clear leaders), and would add
    E.R.
    NYPD Blue
    and because it kick-started quality US drama - Hill St Blues.
  • Options
    EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think too many people are mistaking personal taste with quality of the show. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's badly done. And not every show is aimed at every audience member.

Like, I don't like sitcoms, personally. So an awful lot of what I know are quality shows would make a list of shows I hated. But I know they're good shows. They're just not for me. Same goes for political shows (like West Wing, etc.) or gangster shows (like Sopranos).
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EnricoIV wrote: »
    I think too many people are mistaking personal taste with quality of the show. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's badly done. And not every show is aimed at every audience member.

Like, I don't like sitcoms, personally. So an awful lot of what I know are quality shows would make a list of shows I hated. But I know they're good shows. They're just not for me. Same goes for political shows (like West Wing, etc.) or gangster shows (like Sopranos).
    Has anyone put Sopranos or West Wing in their worst list? Personally I dislike West Wing too. (dialogue is fast and too smart to be real and it lacks the subtletly of The Thick Of It)

Most recent US sitcoms are utter drivel (like According to Jim) but other than the laugh free Chuck Lorre sitcoms that have already been mentioned, don't leave that big a mark on the UK anymore.

Edit: Melissa and Joey is almost deliberately banal as a tribute no doubt to the 90's kids shows they starred in.
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I'd like to see a category called 'Unsung wonders'. That is, things that went unnoticed but were good. Such as WKRP in Cincinnati.

I was going to mention WKRP and also agree with dizzie in post #29 re Dead Like Me.

I'd also like to add Barney Miller to the list.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I'd like to see a category called 'Unsung wonders'. That is, things that went unnoticed but were good. Such as WKRP in Cincinnati.

An apt entry for "Unsung wonders" is Wonderfalls. Cancelled after a few episodes but the whole first season is on DVD. Produced by Bryan Fuller who also did Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best:

Twin Peaks
    Lost
    Spartacus (Not sure if classed as American or not)
    The Simpsons
    Family Guy
    Jackass

Worst:

Flashforward (terrible premise, terrible acting)
    The later series of Heroes (too many characters 'died' and then returned for it to have any tension and as for that 'fight' at the end of season 3(I think).. grrrr)

Also recall really enjoying StreetHawk when I was about 8 but as it only lasted one season it may actually have been complete sh*t :D
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very subjective issue, because we all have different opinions, and individually what we once thought was the best programme ever, we now think as absolutely rubbish, for example The A team, best programme ever...... In 1983, now at best could be said to be cheesy. And even during the lifetime of a programme it can turn to absolute drivel..

Finally do have 1 programme that was rubbish when it was shown and is probably even worse now... Manimal. Absolute codswallop.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourites

Angel
    Frasier
    Seinfeld
    Game of Thrones
    Lost
    Firefly
    Buffy
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Star Trek
    STTNG
    STDS9
    Babylon 5
    True Blood
    Dexter
    Arrested Develoment
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    King of the Hill
    American Dad
    Futurama
    Batman TAS
    The Twilight Zone
    The Wonder Years

Couldn't tell you what my least favourites ones are. Can't be bothered thinking about shows I don't like,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Best: Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, West Wing, thirtysomething, Band of Brothers, LA Law

As for worst there are two series which I invested my time in, in their entirety, and thought "well, that was a waste of time": Murder One and Taken.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I like a lot of US TV, but these are ones I like that are also well-regarded
    by TV reviewers in general:

The Twilight Zone (original)
    The Twilight Zone (1980s)
    Cheers
    Fraiser
    Breaking Bad
    30 Rock

These are US shows I don't like:
    Jersey Shore
    Small Wonder
    Alias Smith and Jones
    Manimal
    Out of this World
    Silver Spoons
    The Jerry Springer Show
    The Hills
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourites (not necessarily the best, just shows i've never missed an episode of and have watched most more than once)

The Walking Dead
    Game of Thrones
    Prison Break
    Alias
    Nikita
    Battlestar Galactica
    Jericho
    Strike Back
    Friends
    True Blood
    Being Human UK&US

I don't have a worst list as i don't watch for long enough to be able to justify rating them as terrible, just not my cup of tea.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BEST:

White Collar.
    Oz.
    ER.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Best:

Nip/Tuck, i was gutted when it ended! My fav show ever
    True Blood
    Breaking bad
    CSI

Honorary mentions to the following shows i fell in love with when i was in america last month:

Family feud (with steve harvey): absolutely 100% better than family fortunes!
    Idiotest: it was the kind of thing i could imagine working here. You can play along with the games at home and laugh at the people getting the wrong answers!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm addicted to watching Impractical Jokers at the minute, wish it was more popular here though! One of the funniest shows I have ever seen.
  • Options
    moonlandingsmoonlandings Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best: The Wire, True Detective, Homeland, Modern Family. I used to love NYPD Blue too, and ER was a whole new kind of TV when it first came out .. it was mesmerising.

I don't really watch TV shows I think are awful. I liked NCIS a lot but I hated the head-slapping so much I gave up on it.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Here a nomination for the worst US show ever: the infamous "Supertrain". Watch
    and wonder "How the f*** did this ever get past the drawing board, let
    alone eat up a large chunk of NBC's cash?" :confused:

http://www.avclub.com/article/horror-supertrain-almost-brought-down-network-212188
  • Options
    Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being someone who went through the 80's as a child I liked.

The A Team
    Airwolf
    Knight Rider
    Street Hawk
    Hardcastle and McCormick
    Hunter
    Cheers

Nowadays I enjoy
    NCIS and NCIS LA
    Big Bang Theory
    Hawaii 5 O
    Two and A Half Men (Charlie Sheen years)

Got to say I never got Friends just didn't make me laugh

Also got to say that being a Las Vegas addict I do enjoy

Pawn Stars
    Counting Cars
    American Restoration
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones