Options

Slow Cooker

purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Morning, I'm looking to buy a slow cooker - haven't got a lot of money to spend on it but it is needed for three people. I would also like to by a book but ideally one where the receipies don't need alot of preparation as I will be preparing the ingredients at night and keeping them in the fridge, ready to put in the cooker and turn on before leaving work!

So, can anyone recommend a good suitable slow cooker and a receipe book for me please?

Many thanks

Purple

Comments

• Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can get cheap and cheerful slow cookers at most supermarkets for around the £10 mark - i have one of these and it works grand :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    For recipes I simply use the internet (search "slow cooker recipe" + ingredients).

I bought my slow cooker at a second-hand shop for $10 US. It was like brand new and not a cheap one. There were actually several to chose from. I think slow cookers are a popular wedding present that people don't know what to do with, so they end up in second-hand shops virtually unused.
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shall be using mine, I work full time and with a one year old am having big trouble finding time to actually cook something decent once he is in bed! This way I'm hoping to find enough receipes so I can prepare the night before, keep everything in the fridge and just throw it in and turn it on before I leave for work!!
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall be using mine, I work full time and with a one year old am having big trouble finding time to actually cook something decent once he is in bed! This way I'm hoping to find enough receipes so I can prepare the night before, keep everything in the fridge and just throw it in and turn it on before I leave for work!!

That is almost exactly how I use mine - we had winter vegetable soup tonight, with enough to feed the entire family, plus some for Mrs C to take for lunch tomorrow, and enough for me to feed at least four of us in my office tomorrow.

I've cleaned it out, and have put the ingredients for a beef stew in it which will go on tomorrow, and there will be enough in there to do the three of us for two days.

We bought a Morphy Richards slow cooker out of Sainsburys, which was marked down to £27 - although not the cheapest, it is huge (6.5 litre)
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my slow cooker all the time. I think mine cost about £17 in Tesco a few years ago. Its Morphy Richards. I would recommend you look for one with low, medium and high settings.

I have some stewing steak in mine at home now. When i get home it will be tender and yummy. I then make it into a red wine casserole and have it with pasta. Scrummy.

As someone else suggested, look online for receipes. I bought 3 books when i got mine, and they were all pretty useless.

I generally dont use receipes now. I just throw meat, veggies and some stock in it .... and then add extra bits when i get home to make it really special.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-2168.aspx

Link is to one I noticed in tesco the other day - its £10 - bargain! :)
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the site I use. It's American so you need a set of cup measures, much easier than converting.
    http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Im using my slow cooker tonight..Chilli for me tomorrow dinner..I just bung everything in, and leave on all night...Mmmm smells in morning..Oh i must remember to grate some plain choccie in...Nice tip from TRP ( i think)..;)..going to do it now!! see ya soon :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All done..Just had a shower cos i was chillified :D
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Im using my slow cooker tonight..Chilli for me tomorrow dinner..I just bung everything in, and leave on all night...Mmmm smells in morning..Oh i must remember to grate some plain choccie in...Nice tip from TRP ( i think)..;)..going to do it now!! see ya soon :D

The plain choc is really good, I have done it for a few years. I did read in my food mag that a tablespoon of treacle is nice too, so will try that in my next one!
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the site I use. It's American so you need a set of cup measures, much easier than converting.
    http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

i use this site too - i've made loads of things from it :)
  • Options
    holidaynumptyholidaynumpty Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought a Morphy Richards 6.5 from Hanna & Browne.
    It was in their christmas leaflet for £24.99.
    It was £26.99 on the web so I went into the shop prepared for battle. But I didn't need to! Bargain. I had looked instore at Tesco but they didn't have a 6.5
    Now I'm looking forward to trying the recipes esp the lamb shanks one.

How much choc in the chili please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1136278&highlight=slow+cooker I thought I would pop this thread in here, it has suggestions from fellow SCers and to holidaynumpty is has a lamb shanks recipe in there too.

I usually add 2 squares of 90% cocoa Lindt choc, they are thin but quite large.
  • Options
    holidaynumptyholidaynumpty Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that MP...save me having to trawl . Can't wait to try those.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that MP...save me having to trawl . Can't wait to try those.

You are welcome :) enjoy!

I am going to do the Gammon one over Christmas I think because hubby only gets xmas day so it will be nice to have something to pick at for a few days.
  • Options
    alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    I love my slow cooker. I use it all the time. Best. Invention. Ever!

I am putting my chili in it tomorrow morning at about 7.30, then i'll have breakfast - go to the gym, go swimming, go to tescos, come back and dinner is served (then that will do for the next 2 nights too!!) Love it!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alienpanda wrote: »
    I love my slow cooker. I use it all the time. Best. Invention. Ever!

I am putting my chili in it tomorrow morning at about 7.30, then i'll have breakfast - go to the gym, go swimming, go to tescos, come back and dinner is served (then that will do for the next 2 nights too!!) Love it!!

I do that for when im working..But i put mine in last thing at night..Ready for me dinner then...:p,,It cooks the mince lovely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a crock pot one off ebay for about £20. The great thing about the crock pot is that it can go on the hob and you can brown the meat off in it before you use the crock pot in the slow cooker bit.
    I am making a thai beef stew in it tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Been up since 7 preparing the slow cooker for tonights chili... now off to the gym and swimming and tescos -- and ta daaaaaa my chili is ready.... if any one wants one, theres a brilliant deal on this one in argos (see my link below) Was £39.99 now £14.99!!!

Slow cooker
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alienpanda wrote: »
    Been up since 7 preparing the slow cooker for tonights chili... now off to the gym and swimming and tescos -- and ta daaaaaa my chili is ready.... if any one wants one, theres a brilliant deal on this one in argos (see my link below) Was £39.99 now £14.99!!!

Slow cooker

aww yor busy for a Sunday..I didnt get up till 11.45..:eek:..Had a late night on here..lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    aww yor busy for a Sunday..I didnt get up till 11.45..:eek:..Had a late night on here..lol

I know!! had a good Gym Sesh and a nice swim, Tescos was rammed though :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Can anyone help with this please? I've made a few things in mine, but haven't used it that much. The thing I'm a bit put off by is the liquid issue. Work colleagues who rave about theirs say not to add too much liquid - but one of my recipe books says to make sure all your meat is covered in liquid which, for a brisket, doesn't seem right. I really don't like sauce/gravy that is too runny.

I know some recipes advise reducing the gravy/stock after its cooked, but that just seems too much fuss.

Can you let me know what you do please?
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone help with this please? I've made a few things in mine, but haven't used it that much. The thing I'm a bit put off by is the liquid issue. Work colleagues who rave about theirs say not to add too much liquid - but one of my recipe books says to make sure all your meat is covered in liquid which, for a brisket, doesn't seem right. I really don't like sauce/gravy that is too runny.

I know some recipes advise reducing the gravy/stock after its cooked, but that just seems too much fuss.

Can you let me know what you do please?

I'd say go along with your work mates. You only need to put enough liquid to cover the veg in the bottom of the pot, a joint of brisket will happily sit on the top out of the stock. Any extra liquid can be thickened using corn flower.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I'd say go along with your work mates. You only need to put enough liquid to cover the veg in the bottom of the pot, a joint of brisket will happily sit on the top out of the stock. Any extra liquid can be thickened using corn flower.

Cheers. :)

I had a good read at the favourite recipes for the slow cooker thread after I'd posted... Will try another stew soon.

Looking forward to trying the gammon everyone on there is raving about too.