Options

HDR Fox T2 not responding issue

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I've also seen it suggested that some forms of lighting can have an effect. But I've not had any problems with compact fluorescent lighting, plus of course it would only be a problem when you turn the lights on :)

But might be worth checking if there could be some source of infra red nearby that is screwing things up.
    Definitely no conflicting remotes or lighting nearby...I do have my PC/Creative speakers/Panasonic Cordless Phone next to my TV/Humax/Ye Olde Philips DVD and my modem a metre or so away, near the floor.

The Fox T2 is hardwired to the internet, as is my PC (try to avoid wireless whenever I can!).

So maybe one of those?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely no conflicting remotes or lighting nearby...I do have my PC/Creative speakers/Panasonic Cordless Phone next to my TV/Humax/Ye Olde Philips DVD and my modem a metre or so away, near the floor.

The Fox T2 is hardwired to the internet.

So maybe one of those?

The remote uses infra red. So really only some other source of infra red light is going to cause problems. Or a physical obstruction in the way of the remote sensor on the Fox T2.

The other possibility of course is the emitter in the remote control. I've not tried it myself but have seen it mentioned that if you point the remote at the lens of a digital camera (either stand alone or the one in your phone) and press buttons on the remote you can see flashes on the camera display.

As I say not tried it myself but might be worth a punt. If you have a fully working remote for some other bit of kit you could perhaps compare the two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    The other possibility of course is the emitter in the remote control. I've not tried it myself but have seen it mentioned that if you point the remote at the lens of a digital camera (either stand alone or the one in your phone) and press buttons on the remote you can see flashes on the camera display.

As I say not tried it myself but might be worth a punt. If you have a fully working remote for some other bit of kit you could perhaps compare the two.
    Aha, a good tip. The Humax remote is currently in it's "I'm working" phase and I can see the remote signal flashing via my digital camera, amongst my other remotes. I'll try it again and compare when it's being dysfunctional :):p
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha, a good tip. The Humax remote is currently in it's "I'm working" phase and I can see the remote signal flashing via my digital camera, amongst my other remotes. I'll try it again and compare when it's being dysfunctional :):p

It could be as simple as a bit of dodgy soldering on the infra red emitter connecting it to the PCB inside the remote. Though it looks like it could be a bu**er getting the remote apart without breaking it to have a look. What's so wrong with using screws to hold the case together instead of these nasty plastic clips that break if you dare to prise the thing open :o:D
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently had a problem with my Fox T2 sometimes not responding. I changed the batteries but that only provided a temporary fix. I found that if I rotated the batteries in situ it would work, the problem seem to have been some form of tarnish that formed rapidly on Boots batteries (never had any problems with that brand before). A couple of Duracells cured the problem. The clue was that the PVR button on the remote did not flash as brightly as normal when a button was pressed.
  • Options
    BolanderBolander Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    I still have the original batteries in my calculator dating from sometime in the 1970s. Rotating the batteries whenever the display fades brings it back to life, so it's always worth trying.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be as simple as a bit of dodgy soldering on the infra red emitter connecting it to the PCB inside the remote. Though it looks like it could be a bu**er getting the remote apart without breaking it to have a look. What's so wrong with using screws to hold the case together instead of these nasty plastic clips that break if you dare to prise the thing open :o:D
    How to disassemble the HD/HDR-FOX T2 remote - http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remote_Disassembled
    Quote: "There is a real possibility that the case could be damaged "