Broken tooth

phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ruby, my 4 month old puppy managed to break her front incisor when destroying a empty cardboard egg box. As far as I can tell her root is still in there. It was the top left one- the pointy tooth.
After phoning the vet was told she may face extraction, and if in pain or showing infection to bring her in for medication.

I would have expected her to be in pain and not wanting to use that side of the mouth. I know when I have tooth problems I moan like hell, but she's showing nothing.
Carrying on as normal, eating fine, chewing her bones and still playing as normal.
I really expected her to be a little low, maybe pain - nothing!
Why can't us humans be like that!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    are you sure she's broken it and its not just her puppy tooth fallen out? you can often see the tip of the new tooth sticking out of the gum.
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was blood around the gum. There is something white in the gum, but its all jagged, not sharp like a incisor should be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    phepia wrote: »
    There was blood around the gum. There is something white in the gum, but its all jagged, not sharp like a incisor should be.

Bloods not unusual with the loss of a puppy tooth, it might not be jagged, but just appear to be due to the way it's growing out the gum. If she's not in pain, I'd keep an eye on and see if it grows. She's definatley the right age to be loosing teeth. My little one kept trying to eat his, and he bled a lot with the first few (blood/dribble all over my new jeans too :mad:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    I would have expected her to be in pain and not wanting to use that side of the mouth. I know when I have tooth problems I moan like hell, but she's showing nothing.
    Carrying on as normal, eating fine, chewing her bones and still playing as normal.
    I really expected her to be a little low, maybe pain - nothing!
    Why can't us humans be like that!

my old vet told me animals are very good at hiding being in pain and discomort my cat Murphy had similar problems with his teeth when we first got him but continued to eat and behave as normal.