Angry cat messing around the home

Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I like to think I am a fairly sensible dog owner. I have also had many cats over the last 20 years. But my present cat defeats me.

He was a rescue - around 4 years old. At least two homes - and long stint as a caged rescue cat - and reading between the lines later - I realise that he had already been returned at least once - and I was his last hope.

Very traumatised at first - he spent the first month I had him under a duvet in the spare bedroom - I never even saw him.
Gradually he gained confidence and is now the most loving cat I have ever had - he is sitting beside me now as I type - purring his head off. I've had him for two years now.

But - any visitors - and he hides. He never goes out - his life is between his feed bowl and his cushion.

My problem is - he demands food from me constantly - 24 hours a day. I feed him last thing before I go to bed - but at 5am - he is yowling downstairs demanding more food and attention. And when he doesn't get it - he urinates and messes on any soft furnishing. I always make sure he has a clean litter tray and he uses it happily during the day. But at night - when he doesn't get what he wants, he messes cushions, rugs and carpets.

I think I can understand such behaviour in a dog - but not a cat. Any thoughts?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Our nineteen year old cat started demanding food constantly about a year ago. Eventually we took her to the vet and she is now on medication for an overactive thyroid. Maybe your cat needs a check up. If he`s eating all the time and not putting weight on he might have the same problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had a cat I used to leave food down for her all the time so she could eat when she wanted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Cats usually mess when they are stressed. First call is the vets to see if there's a reason for er needing food, or for the messing.

If there's nothing medically wrong I'd get a trickle feeder for dry food, and she can access it whenever she wants, see if that helps
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the suggestions! It's not so much the need for food, half the time he licks the jelly off and then demands more! I know I ought to ignore him, but after an hour of solid anxious little miouws, I usually give in. Either that or chuck him out in the rain! (unfortunately the house is open plan) I avoid dry food as, although he has fresh water, in two years I have never seen him drink from his water bowl.

I realise it is an anxiety thing - and he gets stressed when I am not around - just wish there was a gentle way to deal with it. A dog is so much easier to deal with. He seems in good health - a bit over weight, but then he doesn't get much exercise - I don't even know how old he is.

I avoid the vet unless it becomes really necessary. Last time I brought out the cat box he fled for the bedroom and I had to upend all the furniture to get hold of him - even then as a last resort he tried to climb into a pillowcase to escape...obviously some very bad associations! It was months before he stopped flinching every time I made a sudden movement. I've had cats for 40 years, including other rescues, but never one like this. But as said, he is so loving when he is relaxed and happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    you could try feliway? but if its an anger thing (and I use the term lightly as can cats REALLY get angry and spiteful?) I'd guess there is not alot you can do but ignore it - try the dry food as a suppliment, and see if that helps at all?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    For some strange reason my cat refuses to eat his food, regardless of what make/kind unless it has cat biscuits on top. He will lick some gravy or jelly then scratch at the door until he is given more biscuits. He obviously just doesn't like cat food on its own for some reason. He refuses to drink out a bowl as well so I leave the bath tap dripping slightly for him. I hope you manage to get his problem sorted out. Oooops think my cat must have read my mind.......... there goes the scratching. Its biscuit time again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big man cat starts frantically grooming if there are not biscuits down at all times, also when he gets pouches he usually goes out, eats a mouse and then comes in and throws it all up, he is an older rescue, the young rescue doesn't do anything strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he is a rescue cat perhaps he equates lack of food with the lack of care he received before he was rescued. That could make him anxious. The trouble is we don't know what happened to our rescue cats. Food is clearly important to mine as she was abandoned in an empty flat :(

Have you tried leaving some dry food out at night so he doesn't panic?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're lucky, of sorts. Ours has found how to get the satchets from the box, and takes one or two satchets to the front porch to rip them open for a midnight snack. She's even managed to drag a 3kb pack of Iams there once.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat used to love tuna, I used to buy the cheap economy tins. If you don't know how old the cat is it could be older than you think, and may be having kidney problems, a lot of older cats do end up having problems with their kidneys because they don't drink enough water.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    you could try feliway? but if its an anger thing (and I use the term lightly as can cats REALLY get angry and spiteful?) I'd guess there is not alot you can do but ignore it - try the dry food as a suppliment, and see if that helps at all?

I tried feliway at the beginning of our relationship...lol. I guess there is really no simple answer here - but it is good to share. xx TY.

In the end - I guess this is really a success story in some ways - and one I wanted to share. The first month he was with me, I never saw him - he hid under a duvet in my spare room - and I would slip under the duvet with him and listen to him cuddle up on my feet and purr - but retreat in terror everytime I lifted the covers. He has never clawed me except the times I had to take him to the vet, he had a weeping sore on his back from a flea allergy from the rescue home when I first had him - it took a year for it to heal and he still has a bald spot. It was weeks before he came downstairs in his own time and ever since then has lived on my breakfast bar demanding food, or sitting on a cushion beside my computer - where he is now. He escapes anytime a visitor calls. He is terrified of a vacuum cleaner, but ignores a hair dryer a few feet away.

I guess I just have to cope with the messing at night when he feel abandoned and angry - but he doesn't half destroy my settees at night - and messes on my cushions! Oh well - it is all washable. BTW - I also have a black lab - and he is absolutely fine with him - growls if he gets too close - but otherwise no problems.