Am I about to be evicted? Legal/ property advice please...

Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
Forum Member
Hi all,

Hoping someone may be able to help. I moved into a new flat last Christmas and one of the terms of my contract was 'no pets'. The things is, I've fostered a Syrian hamster that my mate couldn't take care of this year, and this week my letting agent came into my house to deal with a separate issue while I was out, and I'm assuming she saw the hamster because she was definitely in the same room as her cage.

I've read my contract and it clearly states that no pets are permitted in the flat. Today I received a formal email asking me to report to the agency office to discuss the original reason my agent visited. This is quite unusual for them as they're pretty relaxed and don't even do periodical inspections. I am now terrified that I am about to be evicted for breaking the terms of my contract.

Can anyone with a bit of legal/ property background be of assistance here? Could I be turfed out for having a hamster in my flat?

Comments

• Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it says no pets, then get rid. I'm pretty sure the landlord isn't allowed in your flat on his own without permission, so you could use this as leverage in the discussion.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    If it says no pets, then get rid. I'm pretty sure the landlord isn't allowed in your flat on his own without permission, so you could use this as leverage in the discussion.

The agent did have permission on this occasion.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the reason for her visit a fairly major one to do with the flat? If so, isn't the email asking you to go and discuss the issue likely to be exactly that - if it is something that needs to be discussed with you, you need to see her to do it?

Has the hamster's cage (or the hamster) caused any damage to landlord-owned furniture, fixtures or fittings? Does it smell?

It is likely that - as they said - they simply want to discuss the reason for their visit with you. Do not mention the hamster - they may mention it and in which case say you were looking after it while its owner was on holiday - then rehome it.

You may be worrying unnecessarily - a hamster isn't like a cat, dog or rabbit - providing you keep its wheel oiled :D they don't tend to make much noise, mess or cause damage - and I cannot believe that (providing you're a good tenant in all other ways) you will be evicted because you've got a hamster. :) But start making enquiries about finding it a new home. However, if they don't mention it during your meeting... don't worry!
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    Was the reason for her visit a fairly major one to do with the flat? If so, isn't the email asking you to go and discuss the issue likely to be exactly that - if it is something that needs to be discussed with you, you need to see her to do it?

Has the hamster's cage (or the hamster) caused any damage to landlord-owned furniture, fixtures or fittings? Does it smell?

It is likely that - as they said - they simply want to discuss the reason for their visit with you. Do not mention the hamster - they may mention it and in which case say you were looking after it while its owner was on holiday - then rehome it.

You may be worrying unnecessarily - a hamster isn't like a cat, dog or rabbit - providing you keep its wheel oiled :D they don't tend to make much noise, mess or cause damage - and I cannot believe that (providing you're a good tenant in all other ways) you will be evicted because you've got a hamster. :) But start making enquiries about finding it a new home. However, if they don't mention it during your meeting... don't worry!

Lovely, reassuring post which has echoed my thoughts so far ....thank you x :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    As above. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, they probably just want to discuss the original problem with you.

You say you'd like to know the legality. A landlord can evict a tenant relatively easily if the tenancy is nearing the end of the fixed term period and the landlord decides not renew or if the tenancy has become rolling periodic tenancy.

Otherwise the landlord needs to prove that you have broken the terms of the agreement and the court must decide whether or not it's reasonable to evict you. I've never heard of a case where a court has evicted someone for keep a small pet that isn't causing a nuisance.

If you want my advice always try to keep the landlord sweet. If they make an issue about you pet try and find a foster home for him or her for the time being it means you'll likely get your tenancy renewed and a good reference at the end of it. Alternatively take your little companion to work with you next time the landlord paying a visit.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should stop worrying!.. the email says' to discuss the reason the agent was in the flat!... so it has nothing to do with the hamster!... if they do bring it up, as Normandie says'!.. 'Lie' ....just say you were looking after it for a couple of days!.... I cant believe you could possibly be chucked out because of looking after a hamster!.......:)
    Forum Member
    Thanks all, I will keep you posted. And please keep everything crossed for me too. xx :)
    Forum Member
    Hello all, I thought I would update you since some of you were so kind to reply and reassure.

My landlord called round this evening. He's a terribly nice old man and seemed very concerned about the problem, and told me that he very much valued my tenancy. However, the hamster did arise in conversation, purely for the possibility that her food could be attracting mice, so I spun the yarn about pet-sitting and he seemed reassured by that. When they come back next week to re-lay/ check poison, she'll be staying with a friend. ;)

Looks like I am staying put in my lovely flat. :)

Thanks again pals.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    Hello all, I thought I would update you since some of you were so kind to reply and reassure.

My landlord called round this evening. He's a terribly nice old man and seemed very concerned about the problem, and told me that he very much valued my tenancy. However, the hamster did arise in conversation, purely for the possibility that her food could be attracting mice, so I spun the yarn about pet-sitting and he seemed reassured by that. When they come back next week to re-lay/ check poison, she'll be staying with a friend. ;)

Looks like I am staying put in my lovely flat. :)

Thanks again pals.

Good thinking. Keep hamsters food in sealed containers and clean out regular, you should have no problem with attracting mice...that is a bit OTT:D Don't forget to oil that wheel:D For your own peace of mind.