Options

Graham Norton Show Series 16 begins 26 September 2014

Comments

• Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    saoir wrote: »
    Well Woods is one of the truly great comedic talents ever to come out of Britain. She was truly wonderful on the show.

Oliver was fine. Bland and cute. But nothing much to contribute, like most chefs other than the great Gordon.

Keaton was also good, but mixed. He is just one of those actors that have little or no personality and I think Graham knew that.

I was really excited when McKellen arrived out ... but switched off when the kids arrived. No I don't obsess against them like some of the silly people here do. They are simply not my cup of tea ... but are loved by millions.

I was disappointed that McKellen was not either on his own or with the first couch. He is a magnificent actor, with a rich life experience and full of great stories. But putting him with the kids was ...... bizarre.

Some people think they have to love every guest of the show is a disaaaster ! and the producers are stoooopid !

No. If you watch programs like this, you need to realise that different people like different things and suck it up.

Exactly - If the producers only put on people who they thought everyone would like it would soon become incredibly bland. Thank you for your balanced comments. You may have missed them showing this clip of Ian McKellen which I think you may enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZf0Q-v3u-k
  • Options
    GarethHarrisonGarethHarrison Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the impression that the reason the sofa was cleared half way through was possibly because they were recorded at different times? Really didn't think it worked though - with an extra guest they could have made 2 shows out of it.
  • Options
    FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    The "long haired one" :)

We all know you have your bedroom wall plastered with his pics. ;)

I've been caught! :D Maybe it's time to have the wife pull down all the Barry Styles posters. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    bluefb wrote: »
    That's a insult to The Beatles, frankly. Drawing a few tenuous parallels does not make them in any meaningful way comparable. You may as well say, "Well The Beatles had long hair and 1D also have long hair, so they're actually quite similar." The Beatles played their own instruments, wrote their own music and lyrics (without the 'assistance' of co-writers), made creative, complex, experimental and all round excellent pop music that was regarded seriously at the time and has retained that status for half a century. No offense, but I can only assume that your appreciation of The Beatles was pretty shallow if you think they bear any serious comparison.

What's so wonderful about the Beatles? Everyone knows they stole all their songs from Oasis.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Say what you like about whether how good One Direction are, but I really do rate Liam as a singer. He should be the one who actually has a career when they inevitably split up.

Harry will be the one that goes off the rails. Louis will become some kind of TV personality. Zayn will branch off into modelling and maybe some terrible acting, and Niall will fade into obscurity. It's written in the stars.

Zayn might join ISIS or IS or whatever they're called.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know any , why should we/ they ?

JO annoys the hell out of me - can't put my finger on it, maybe it's because I'm a non-cook, I haven't cooked anything for years, I mean made something myself - I just heat up shop-bought stuff.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zayn might join ISIS or IS or whatever they're called.

:o:D:o
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    saoir wrote: »
    Well Woods is one of the truly great comedic talents ever to come out of Britain. She was truly wonderful on the show.

Oliver was fine. Bland and cute. But nothing much to contribute, like most chefs other than the great Gordon.

Keaton was also good, but mixed. He is just one of those actors that have little or no personality and I think Graham knew that.

I was really excited when McKellen arrived out ... but switched off when the kids arrived. No I don't obsess against them like some of the silly people here do. They are simply not my cup of tea ... but are loved by millions.

I was disappointed that McKellen was not either on his own or with the first couch. He is a magnificent actor, with a rich life experience and full of great stories. But putting him with the kids was ...... bizarre.

Some people think they have to love every guest of the show is a disaaaster ! and the producers are stoooopid !

No. If you watch programs like this, you need to realise that different people like different things and suck it up.
    Keaton didn't have a chance to show any personality. He would have had more attention on The One Show.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such a lottery for the guests with the line ups. Michael Keaton needed to be on one of Graham's classic shows like the one with Bill Murray and Matt Damon! He'd have had a ball! He was really trying hard to engage and listen to the others, but getting very little back so didn't get a chance to shine. Jamie can be up for a laugh, but Victoria kind of ruined the mood last night. Unlike Julie Walters, Victoria seems painfully shy and socially awkward on chat shows. Like many gifted comedians though, she's clever and talented, because she draws from her experiences and upbringing of tortured angst!
  • Options
    twintwin Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Victoria Wood was very "off" and quite rude. It looked like she really had the hump or couldn't stand Jamie.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't understand why 1D would want to be on such a mainstream show anyway as they have such a large and loyal fanbase that their album will go to No 1 even if they did zero promotion. And their music isn't really going to appeal to anyone who isn't a teenage girl is it?
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't understand why 1D would want to be on such a mainstream show anyway as they have such a large and loyal fanbase that their album will go to No 1 even if they did zero promotion. And their music isn't really going to appeal to anyone who isn't a teenage girl is it?

Seriously??? Maybe you've noticed, but their first week sales have been quite a bit lower than those of their last albums. Teenage girls move on after a few years, there are some other (younger/newer) boybands around. So they need to broaden their appeal and I can assure you, there are LOADS of other people enjoying their music!
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You think the members of 1D actually choose what tv shows they appear on ? Thats the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. They will do exactly what they are told................like the gormless robots they are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Keaton didn't have a chance to show any personality. He would have had more attention on The One Show.

he's been on chat shows before .... personality bypass.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    You think the members of 1D actually choose what tv shows they appear on ? Thats the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. They will do exactly what they are told................like the gormless robots they are.

Do you think Ian McKellen, Victoria Wood, Jamie Oliver and Michael Keaton actually choose what TV shows they appear on? Or are they gormless robots?

Talking of gormless robots, I'm amazed at the number of people who just trot out the same old insults about One Direction's supposed lack of talent, while at the same time proclaiming that they didn't actually watch them. How does that work, then?
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    is it just me or was harry styles slightly the worse for wear if you catch my drift?

I thought so too!
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I've come to the conclusion that Zayn is suffering from anorexia - yes men can get it.

Yes!

I saw a clip recently of his X-Factor audition and he looked so much healthier back then.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood the hype. I don't find her amusing or witty or even particularly likeable.
    Some of her work has been great. She's not everyone's cup of tea - indeed, the phrase "cup of tea" isn't everyone's cup of tea either. Nevertheless shows like As Seen on TV were very good, and dinnerladies was fantastic. Sadly since then she's been getting screen time (especially at Christmas) based on past glories rather than the merit of her current work.

At interview, none of them seemed to be given enough time to make much impression. VW had more about her than the others on that couch in my view. She interacted more.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a good show. No point interviewing the band if there's nothing to talk about other than 'the fans'. The first guests didn't have any chemistry together and Oliver's story about some hard nut chasing him round Covent Garden to thank him seemed bizarre.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a strange show, an out of place American actor - Jamie Oliver pushing his Christmas book - a bored Victoria Wood pushing her Christmas musical
    Then the second show, Ian Mckellen (every chat show hosts dream guest), and One Direction who seem to lack any kind of personality and looked bored to death. I amused myself trying to guess which is the gay one (there is always a gay one)[/QUOTE]

I think its Harry or Louis

Terrible show, Keaton was boring, Wood was grumpy, it says a lot about the show that Jamie Oliver and that dude in Convent Garden was the best story

Ian McKellen should have came on another week. One Direction were dire
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand Victoria Wood, she comes accross as very superior, world weary and not at all pleasant.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    roddyrhino wrote: »
    Do you think Ian McKellen, Victoria Wood, Jamie Oliver and Michael Keaton actually choose what TV shows they appear on? Or are they gormless robots?

Talking of gormless robots, I'm amazed at the number of people who just trot out the same old insults about One Direction's supposed lack of talent, while at the same time proclaiming that they didn't actually watch them. How does that work, then?

Hey, don't assume that all people insult 1D without ever watching them.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

You mean you have to watch 1D before being able to insult them? F**k that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I got a bit fed up with McKellen flirting with Harry Stiles to be honest
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is very difficult not to have been exposed to them at some point even if you have never actually decided to sit and watch them.