Options

UKIP: The First 100 Days

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    Blofeld wrote: »
    I made several other points as well, but since you picked on this one...

In the scenario above, if UKIP were to impose draconian checks on anyone coming in to the UK to stop migrant workers from Europe, then yes, I do think the rest of the EU would impose restrictions on the UK where it hurts. You can't say they wouldn't impose visas and strict checks on everyone from a French day tripper on the Eurostar to an elderly Hungarian couple doing a roadtrip around the Lake District. After all, they want to tighten up the borders and stop new immigrants. We would need to have a robust visa process for anyone wishing to come in to the country to be able to weed out the ones who are here to abuse the system. There goes the idea of free movement of people across Europe, which is going to cause a stink in Europe and severely affect our negotiations when it comes to anything else.

We cannot and should not expect the relationship with the rest of the EU to continue as if nothing has happened. Farage hates the EU and everything about it. He has made that very vocally clear in his many outbursts. Quite why you would expect the EU to bend over backwards to accommodate a UK with him in charge is beyond me. If a UKIP run government attempted to cherry pick the bits they liked about the EU then I would imagine they will be told a polite but firm "no thanks". Nigel could of course turn to the rest of the world he is so adamant would replace anything we do with the EU, but if we start denying their citizens entry to our green and pleasant land or we start sending boat loads of them back I imagine they won't be so keen on doing business with us either.
    Even the other parties want some control on immigration.......now it is 25 years too late!!
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robbleona wrote: »
    Channel 4 hate UKIP, that is obvious how every 'Gogglebox' lackie is told to criticise farage whenever he appears on any clip. So I didn't need to watch this show really.

Not forgetting Jimmy Carr, Alan Carr & the entire cast of The Last Leg
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Even the other parties want some control on immigration.......now it is 25 years too late!!

Not in the same way at all, plus we already have control of our borders. We are one of the very few countries in Europe NOT in Schengen.
  • Options
    robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    Not in the same way at all, plus we already have control of our borders. We are one of the very few countries in Europe NOT in Schengen.

no. not in the same way...they just pay lip-service like they have done for 25 years.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made several other points as well, but since you picked on this one...

In the scenario above, if UKIP were to impose draconian checks on anyone coming in to the UK to stop migrant workers from Europe, then yes, I do think the rest of the EU would impose restrictions on the UK where it hurts. You can't say they wouldn't impose visas and strict checks on everyone from a French day tripper on the Eurostar to an elderly Hungarian couple doing a roadtrip around the Lake District. After all, they want to tighten up the borders and stop new immigrants. We would need to have a robust visa process for anyone wishing to come in to the country to be able to weed out the ones who are here to abuse the system. There goes the idea of free movement of people across Europe, which is going to cause a stink in Europe and severely affect our negotiations when it comes to anything else.

We cannot and should not expect the relationship with the rest of the EU to continue as if nothing has happened. Farage hates the EU and everything about it. He has made that very vocally clear in his many outbursts. Quite why you would expect the EU to bend over backwards to accommodate a UK with him in charge is beyond me. If a UKIP run government attempted to cherry pick the bits they liked about the EU then I would imagine they will be told a polite but firm "no thanks". Nigel could of course turn to the rest of the world he is so adamant would replace anything we do with the EU, but if we start denying their citizens entry to our green and pleasant land or we start sending boat loads of them back I imagine they won't be so keen on doing business with us either.

I don't suppose most people in the UK would a lot of sleep if all overseas visitors to the UK received extra checks as they left the Continent. If it was done on outgoing travellers to the UK then the UK could respond with extra checks on tourists leaving the UK, there would soon be complaints from the holiday resorts in Spain etc if they lost business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 hate UKIP, that is obvious how every 'Gogglebox' lackie is told to criticise farage whenever he appears on any clip. So I didn't need to watch this show really.
    Strange also that 'right wing' UKIP are the only party to give credit to the USSR in their assistance in defeating the Nazis in WW2....without their help in the bitter winters of the east THEN THE YANKS WOULD NEVER HAVE HAD CHANCE TO MAKE ALL THOSE WAR FILMS where they supposedly won the war single-handedly!!
    ps....that does not excuse what is going on in east Ukraine....the east of the country may be russian-leaning but autonomism should be negotiated not just taken for granted.

Might have taken slightly longer, don't forget that many British and American sailors and servicemen lost their lives taking large quantities of supplies to a very ungrateful Soviet government. All that effort could have been used elsewhere. Don't forget also that the Soviets were allies of the Germans at the start of the war.
  • Options
    TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Lefty knuckle-draggers out in force on this thread. Screaming 'racist' like it's going out of fashion and ignoring the actual real world around them.

Got news for you - it don't wash no more. Go back to the Guardian - they'll tell you how to think.

Plenty of right wing ****witts on here as well. Only morons would vote for that ****.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day UKIP were only ever going to get a few seats in the election, why did Channel 4 bother in trying to smear them, and they did not even put much effort in to the attempt.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the day UKIP were only ever going to get a few seats in the election, why did Channel 4 bother in trying to smear them, and they did not even put much effort in to the attempt.

Perhaps because they do not care about smearing them but about viewing figures?
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Not forgetting Jimmy Carr, Alan Carr & the entire cast of The Last Leg

And Matthew Right. He is always whinging about them.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I don't suppose most people in the UK would a lot of sleep if all overseas visitors to the UK received extra checks as they left the Continent. If it was done on outgoing travellers to the UK then the UK could respond with extra checks on tourists leaving the UK, there would soon be complaints from the holiday resorts in Spain etc if they lost business.

I don't suppose many would lose sleep either, but the fact would be that the UK would be seen as a hassle to get to, even for casual tourists and business people on short trips, never mind anyone silly enough to want to move here if UKIP came to power. That's even more of a hassle that is. We already see queues of 3-4 hours in summer as the airports struggle to cope with current levels of passport checks. I can't imagine the lines which will happen under UKIP!

Just look at Belarus or Russia. Both have ridiculously tiresome visa requirements and high costs even if you're only going for a few days. You're made to jump through all sorts of hoops and get this, that and the other signed and countersigned just to go for tourism purposes. If that's the sort of thing UKIP want to impose on holiday makers from Denmark or an Italian banker coming for a meeting then by all means do it but our tourism and business sectors will dramatically suffer as a result of it and we will be worse off. And yes, that is what will happen as otherwise it'd be a bit pointless to say they are tightening up the border, but I suspect many short sighted people don't really care about that, even though foreign people bring billions to this country. It's worth noting that already being outside of Schengen loses us lots of tourism from the likes of China as they need to apply for a whole other, extremely expensive, visa. Thankfully someone had sense and the visa rules for a lot of non European countries will be relaxed if they already have a schengen visa, opening us up more to new and emerging tourism markets.

A point someone else made about Mercedes, BMW etc. I would have thought a UKIP government wouldn't give a toss if Germany stopped selling us their cars. Surely we could all buy Indian, Australian or American made cars as that's who we would be trading with mostly according to UKIP. Or we could jump start the British car manufacturers again, surely that'd be high on the to do list? Never mind the high costs though, at least it won't involve Europe! ;-)
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of right wing ****witts on here as well. Only morons would vote for that ****.

Speak of the devil...

Very eloquently put, thank you.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A point someone else made about Mercedes, BMW etc. I would have thought a UKIP government wouldn't give a toss if Germany stopped selling us their cars. Surely we could all buy Indian, Australian or American made cars as that's who we would be trading with mostly according to UKIP. Or we could jump start the British car manufacturers again, surely that'd be high on the to do list? Never mind the high costs though, at least it won't involve Europe! ;-)

But with borders closed where would we find all that good cheap labour for manufacturing jobs?

The answer, of course is that, having pulled out of the EU, companies can now trample all over workers' rights and so can continue to make huge profits from British workers by making them work long hours for low pay, no pension provision, no sick pay, less holidays, shorter breaks, hire and fire at will, a ban on union membership etc. And the government can help out with extending things like the Workfare slave labour racket and unpaid or very low paid internships and apprenticeships, none of which guarantee a job at the end of the training period. And all this will be justified by the excuse that we need to remain "competitive" in the manufacturing market.

Meanwhile the bosses will be giving themselves six figure salaries with generous bonuses and share options and Farage and co. will cut their taxes to help them out a bit more and they might even scrap employer NI contributions while they're at it. Oh, and they'll scrap green taxes and initiatives so manufacturers can pollute the country as much as they like as long as the money keeps flowing.

But we don't actually know what UKIP will do since they're still keeping their 2015 manifesto under wraps. Tim Aker has mentioned something about attracting the blue collar vote, which will in reality mean attracting Tory-supporting Sun readers rather than appealing to traditional Labour voters.
  • Options
    daryl_spicerdaryl_spicer Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just more trash from Channel 4
  • Options
    daryl_spicerdaryl_spicer Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Left. The lazy disease of Britain. The i want brigade.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unsurprisingly one of the racist nut jobs screaming 'We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it!" on the Paris metro is seen standing next to Farage in a picture.

Shameful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unsurprisingly one of the racist nut jobs screaming 'We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it!" on the Paris metro is seen standing next to Farage in a picture.

Shameful.

Farage has explained that his photograph is taken with lots of people in public places just as happens with other politicians from all parties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    But with borders closed where would we find all that good cheap labour for manufacturing jobs?

The answer, of course is that, having pulled out of the EU, companies can now trample all over workers' rights and so can continue to make huge profits from British workers by making them work long hours for low pay, no pension provision, no sick pay, less holidays, shorter breaks, hire and fire at will, a ban on union membership etc. And the government can help out with extending things like the Workfare slave labour racket and unpaid or very low paid internships and apprenticeships, none of which guarantee a job at the end of the training period. And all this will be justified by the excuse that we need to remain "competitive" in the manufacturing market.

Meanwhile the bosses will be giving themselves six figure salaries with generous bonuses and share options and Farage and co. will cut their taxes to help them out a bit more and they might even scrap employer NI contributions while they're at it. Oh, and they'll scrap green taxes and initiatives so manufacturers can pollute the country as much as they like as long as the money keeps flowing.

But we don't actually know what UKIP will do since they're still keeping their 2015 manifesto under wraps. Tim Aker has mentioned something about attracting the blue collar vote, which will in reality mean attracting Tory-supporting Sun readers rather than appealing to traditional Labour voters.

Yes it was children working 14 hour days down the coal mines until we joined the EU, unions were banned completely, no annual holidays .........

Usual case of the EU trying to take credit for everything except those things they screwed up which they claim did not happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Farage has explained that his photograph is taken with lots of people in public places just as happens with other politicians from all parties.

I guess that explains all the racist remarks one constantly hears Kippers making. In Margate or somewhere one of the MEPs referred to the wife of a Kipper (who happened to come from Thailand) as 'Ting Tong'

It's a pity the media doesn't subject loony tune kippers to more critical scrutiny rather than treating Farage as some kind of jokey uncle who likes a pint and a **** in much the same way it gives an easy ride to Boris - another so-called man of the people.

Lol you couldn't make it up. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was children working 14 hour days down the coal mines until we joined the EU, unions were banned completely, no annual holidays .........

Usual case of the EU trying to take credit for everything except those things they screwed up which they claim did not happen.

Usual case of UKIP misrepresenting everything about the EU to suit their agenda!
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member

Shameful.

As I understood it, via a sports site rather than a site with a specific political agenda, that person in the Farage photo was on the train with this group of racist idiots, but wasn't filmed actually singing (and certainly wasn't one of the morons who stopped the Mauritanian guy from getting on the train).

Even in the Mail's own piece with the link to Farage, lower down they say 'A second man on the metro train stood behind Mr Parsons was named locally at Jordan Munday, from south-east London.
    There is no suggestion that either was involved in the pushing of the passenger or the racist chanting.
    However, having been inside the carriage during the incident, both will be key witnesses for the police.'

Now there is every chance there were some of those making racist chants in that group of Chelsea followers are UKIP voters, but they could just as easily vote Labour, Tory, LD...
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Left always want to scream Racist! at the Right. It's about the only thing they do well.

Farage is not a racist. He simply wants a sensible immigration policy for the little island we call Britain.

He'd also like the people who do live in Britain to be proud to be British and to love the country.

Like it or not that chimes with most people in Britain and that is what has got the Establishment's knickers in a bunch. They are desperate to portray him as a nutjob. This little CH4 program was an attempt by the Left to smear UKIP. They'll be plenty more before May and a lot of them will come from the Right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess that explains all the racist remarks one constantly hears Kippers making. In Margate or somewhere one of the MEPs referred to the wife of a Kipper (who happened to come from Thailand) as 'Ting Tong'

It's a pity the media doesn't subject loony tune kippers to more critical scrutiny rather than treating Farage as some kind of jokey uncle who likes a pint and a **** in much the same way it gives an easy ride to Boris - another so-called man of the people.

Lol you couldn't make it up. :D

That's quite mild compared with the vitriol that you regularly read from Labour supporters but I suppose every party has its share of loonies - though only Labour make one Leader :)

As opposed to millionaire Ed Milliband?

When throwing around accusations of racist, Nazi etc it is worth remembering that only one senior British politician has photographed in Nazi uniform - Blinky.