Options

Making friends at college

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,037
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm going to college in September, quite looking forward to it too except it's a region from where I went to school. So I am slightly worrying that it's going to be more difficult to make friends. Especially being from a different place :o

How did you make friends at college? Was most of them the ones you dragged from secondary school? :p

Plus, did you approach anyone on your first day? Or did you just get on with it. :sleep: :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in S.Wales :D

My experiences of starting college (because I hadn't just left school so I didn't know anyone, because I was 18 and all of the other students had pretty much just come straight out of school) I just sat in the classroom, and as everyone came in bit by bit, Ijust got a bit chatty with the people sat near me, and made conversation with people as much as I could. There are always many people who don't know anyone else, so everyones a bit nervous/in the same boat, you'll be fine :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to college in a different area too, and I was sh*tting myself when I started.

I think most colleges/courses arrange a 'team-building day' so that you can get to know your course mates in a relaxed way.

You'll be fine, most of them are probably feeling the same as you :)
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know any one when I went to college, I soon made friends. You'll be fine :)
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to college in a different area too, and I was sh*tting myself when I started.

I think most colleges/courses arrange a 'team-building day' so that you can get to know your course mates in a relaxed way.

You'll be fine, most of them are probably feeling the same as you :)

Yup that's what happened during my 1st term at Uni. One of the course focused on teamwork so you got to know most of the people on your course. Was a really good way to make friends.

Best advice is to just to talk to anyone and everyone. Everyone is in the same shoes as you really and would probably be more than grateful someone is talking to them.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Colleges are better these days. They have icebreakers.

On my first day at University, I introduced myself to as many people as I could.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    For me, I've found that the people who I distanced myself from in lessons in September turned out to be the ones I've become friends with. I got paired with a girl in the first week and would have happily accepted death instead of having to work with her (she seemed a bit snotty), but we ended up getting on like a house on fire and we're near enough attached at the hip now.

So, my advice would be not to write anyone off! Getting involved in a sports team or joining the college paper sort of forces you to interact with others (I do the latter), so try that as well. Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll be fine :) I remember how daunting my first day at college was. I didn't know anyone and being a shy sort of a person it was really nerve-wracking walking into a room full of strangers.

The thing to remember most of these people will be in exactly the same boat as you are, and everyone will be having the same jitters as you are.

Give it a day or so and you'll feel like you've never been away from the place!

Good luck with college :)