My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding - new series !

Comments

• user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Another thread descends into racist slander of 'gypsies', "they" do this and "they" do that. Somehow it's still acceptable to count an entire group as criminals, as long as they aren't black or jews.
    I don't count them as criminals but I do count them as a law unto themselves. That is not a racist slander but a general stereotype and one that I'll not be apologising for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll take that as an apology then.

No apology. I got deleted by a moderater or something. I stand by what I said but now we shall just have a happy thread about those crazy weddings and all in the world is fine, LOL :D
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thread descends into racist slander of 'gypsies', "they" do this and "they" do that. Somehow it's still acceptable to count an entire group as criminals, as long as they aren't black or jews.

I dont know about anyone else,but I certainly meant no offence,"they" is a term widely used to describe any group of people,and wether you like it or not,gypsies do not want to be lumped into a generalisation of society,in my experience(I have friends in our local site,and spent alot of time in my teens there),it is "they" who are racist and intolerant of housedwellers,or "gorgies",if you will,of course,there is no need to label all travellers as criminals,its simply not true,and if it makes you feel better,there are plenty of people in my neighbourhood I wouldn't trust around my unattended garden contents either:):rolleyes:
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    One of these weddings was filmed in our town, so embarrassing.

What a mess the girls all look, why do they want to look so awful on such a special day?thise poor youngsters too, done up like JonBenét Ramsey.

I will be watching though, just to have a gawk.

I don't see them as 'poor' they have exactly what they want on their special day.

Sort of disgusting they make a program just to laugh at a group of society, and a socially disadvantaged one at that.
    Reminds me of the programs about children with disfigurements, just a modern day freak show.

I do applaud that they are shown as people and their side and not just this group of criminals they are perceived as, but this show does nothing for general cultural sensitivity, and it IS another culture, and who are we to judge?

Gypsies are generally persecuted in society, and have been since before and after the holocaust, who thought we were 'parasites'
    snapey999 wrote: »
    No apology. I got deleted by a moderater or something. I stand by what I said but now we shall just have a happy thread about those crazy weddings and all in the world is fine, LOL :D
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    They are poor youngsters as they are made to look ridiculous,like some kind of freaky American pageant.make up on little dots like that? no thanks.

Still it will be good for a giggle.
  • FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! The 'Thought Police!';):cry:;)
    Forum Member
    We have shameless on after too, double giggles :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember feeling really bad for one of the girls last year. I think her name was Nora and she lived in a house with her Mum and Dad, had finished school and had a job. She was only getting married because at 21 she felt like an old bride and it was the right thing to do.

She married a lad from Ireland she had met about twice and kept crying on her wedding day because she thought she'd have to move to Ireland. I hope things worked out well for her. The other brides looked to be having the time of their lives and if it's what they want and are happy with it, then no one gets hurt.

She left him when she was 9 months pregnant, it was in the DM. I watched the documentary again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eMN841LoE and I can't imagine her parents were too happy. They seemed the 'you marry and then you get what you get' kind. It would be good to see a follow-up during the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    This is back tonight on Channel 4 at 9pm ... will you be watching?

I find it enthralling but i don't know why!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1348164/My-Big-Fat-Gypsy-Wedding-Forget-William-Kate--taffeta-tantrums-traveller-traditions.html

<sticks hand firmly in air> Me! Me! Me! I'll be watching :cool: I was thoroughly fascinated with the last programme and think it's a genius idea of channel 4 to do a documentary style programme on this. An all-round very very interesting programme imo. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It does beat me though how they never seem to get visits from the tax man. Come to that, or the RSPCA because the way they keep some of their horses, if we did that they'd be here and punishing us.

And their dogs. It's about the only thing I don't like about them, yes, THEM. And I'd like to know where they get all their money from too .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    She left him when she was 9 months pregnant, it was in the DM. I watched the documentary again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eMN841LoE and I can't imagine her parents were too happy. They seemed the 'you marry and then you get what you get' kind. It would be good to see a follow-up during the series.
    I can't imagine they'd be happy either. They have strong religious and traditional values and divorce is frowned upon. Hopefully they supported her though.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine they'd be happy either. They have strong religious and traditional values and divorce is frowned upon. Hopefully they supported her though.

I hope so too.
    Divorce is fully permitted and you can remarry, but it's unlikely to be as lavish the next time. You do have to pay the dowry back sometimes (ouch)
    Jequila wrote: »
    And their dogs. It's about the only thing I don't like about them, yes, THEM. And I'd like to know where they get all their money from too .....

Well I can't speak for all of THEM but my dad owns a building firm, a very reputable one and he put me through university. Where do YOU get all your money from? actually I don't care, none of my business.

Frankly I don't like how gadge handle their dogs either, living with them in your beds etc is a bit gross to me.
    Forum Member
    I hope so too.
    Divorce is fully permitted and you can remarry, but it's unlikely to be as lavish the next time. You do have to pay the dowry back sometimes (ouch)

Well I can't speak for all of THEM but my dad owns a building firm, a very reputable one and he put me through university. Where do YOU get all your money from? actually I don't care, none of my business.

Frankly I don't like how gadge handle their dogs either, living with them in your beds etc is a bit gross to me.

Chaining them outside in all weathers isnt exactly nice either is it? which is what my 'under brick' neighbours do, and we listen to the poor thing sobbing day and night. 6 dam years it has tied up with a heavy chain, with the odd 5 minute walk.

Gadge? do you mean non gypsies? surely by using a nick name you are the same as those who say pikey??

By the way, I do not let my dog in my bed, she has her own bed in the kitchen, so you are genaralising there too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on!!:D I do enjoy these programs:o
    Forum Member
    tiggy145 wrote: »

I am recording it to giggle at later, after shameless, shhh dont tell me what happens ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggy145 wrote: »
    Me too! I love reality TV, it's my guilty pleasure :o
  • frankwarrenfrankwarren Posts: 943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This looks amusing... :D
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll admit that I can't help thinking about a quote from 'Snatch' right now.
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    Does anyone know where they get their money? They spend thousands on these dresses/weddings/first communions

Photographers I know who have shot their weddings are often left with a bad debt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the dresses are completely:eek::eek:
  • RandyRandy Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big dresses... imagine how many DVD players and TomTom`s you could hide under there..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is that girl- Josie?- wearing:eek::eek:
  • frankwarrenfrankwarren Posts: 943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, look at that tummy!
  • bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Epsom Derby has REALLY gone down hill in recent years.
  • RandyRandy Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "ow aboud a van fer ma Maa" ;)
This discussion has been closed.