Options

Sim Free Phones for someone slightly clueless.

lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Probably going to be asking some really basic questions here, but I really don't know. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to mobiles, so go easy on me please :p

Basically this time last year i foolishly allowed myself to be talked into a 24-month contract on a phone I just really don't like (Samsung Tocco Lite).

God knows how, but they made it sound like a really good deal and a pretty good phone.

I can live with the contract, but I really don't want the phone anymore.

But im not entirely sure how "sim-free" phone's work? If i brought one, could I just put my current sim-card into the new phone and it would work, and id just carry on in the same contract, or have i completley misunderstood? :o

If it make's any difference my current contract is on Vodaphone, £25 a month with another 12 months to run, and whilst I haven't decided on the phone id like to replace my Tocco Lite with, I am quite keen on the Blackberry Bold 9780.

Thanks to anyone that can help, or offer any advice on this, or on any alternative solutions I could try? :)

Comments

• Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An unlocked phone will allow you to put your sim into the phone and it'll work.

Note that for some features of a Blackberry, you may need to pay an extra charge each month for the Blackberry services (BIS)

Apparently many phones from the Carphone Warehouse are unlocked so perhaps worth a look. Some phones are free and easy to unlock should they be locked.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have internet on your current contract?

If so, to have Blackberry features you will need to pay £5 extra a month.

If you don't have internet at the moment you will need to get that added on to your contract for £5 and the Blackberry features for another £5.

Blackberry Bold 9780 is a good phone btw :)
  • Options
    lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Do you have internet on your current contract?

If so, to have Blackberry features you will need to pay £5 extra a month.

If you don't have internet at the moment you will need to get that added on to your contract for £5 and the Blackberry features for another £5.

Blackberry Bold 9780 is a good phone btw :)

Yeah I have internet. 500mb I think.

So to clarify, if I did opt to buy that particular phone, I just need to put my current sim card in, and call vodaphone to get blackberry features added, and my bill will just go up £5 a month?

Seems fair enough :) Thanks for your and orbitalzone's help :)
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lionsof66 wrote: »
    Yeah I have internet. 500mb I think.

So to clarify, if I did opt to buy that particular phone, I just need to put my current sim card in, and call vodaphone to get blackberry features added, and my bill will just go up £5 a month?

Seems fair enough :) Thanks for your and orbitalzone's help :)

That's correct :)
    Make sure the phone is 'sim free' :)

The technical name for the Blackberry Features is 'BIS (blackberry internet service)' so just tell them that :)