Cause for Complaint?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I attended a Body Shop Party hosted by A Body Shop consultant last month , the Consultant played a few games with our group she started off by asking if anyone was Irish in the group and I raised my hand, she said to me "Oh you'll love this game then, this is right up your street" .. The game, it seems, was to pull out a raffle ticket (which we all paid £2 for) and the win a small gift pack.

My number was pulled out and I was presented with my prize, it was at this point that the Consultant said "this is the part you'll like now" and then pulled another ticket out and gave that person the choice of letting me keep my gift or "stealing it" from me. I was flabbergasted at this "game" - what sort of game is this? Someone wins a raffle and it’s taken away from them?

And to add insult to injury the Consultant tells me I’ll “like this game" as I am Irish, and it turns out the aim of the game was to STEAL from the other people in your group? This is the part I was disgusted with; the people at the party also noticed and asked in private what this lady doing.

I felt embarrassed and shamed at the actions of this Consultant. I had already placed my order for the products I wanted otherwise I would have certainly cancelled my order, but I let it go as it was one of my friend's hen parties and if did not want to put a dampener on the day.

I feel that this experience has put me off The Body Shop and I would probably not order anything again. As this Company was built on ethics and morals I feel that need to let them know about this.. Do you think i am being too sensitive though? As i only knew 3 people out of the 10 people there i actually felt mortified when she picked me out like this and made these references to stealing and the Irish.

Just after your thoughts really .. thanks people xx

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like she was overly familiar or perhaps not familiar enough and caused embarrassment not just for you but for others. Her job is to represent the company and get sales and presumably try her hand at recruiting more people for the home sales business.

There's a few things there which she seems to have failed at and as a customer you are entitled to make your concerns known to the company and expect an apology.

I never complain really but this person sounds quite inappropriate especially when you consider she is in someone else's home.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Body Shop at Home consultants are not actual staff of The Body Shop - they are classed as self employed, because The Body Shop do not pay their wages (they get discount when they make their orders and can keep the profits) With L'Oreal owning The Body Shop now, I doubt you'll get anywhere with a complaint.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How well do you know the host, its them that you probably need to speak to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    The Body Shop at Home consultants are not actual staff of The Body Shop - they are classed as self employed, because The Body Shop do not pay their wages (they get discount when they make their orders and can keep the profits) With L'Oreal owning The Body Shop now, I doubt you'll get anywhere with a complaint.

Well i did not know that, thank you Marz - they still represent the company though surely? The Body Shop should know about the people they have out there being the "face" of thier company??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    How well do you know the host, its them that you probably need to speak to.

Not at all, i live in Cheshire and the party was in Wales. I dont even think the Bridesmaid (who organised it) knew her particularly well :o
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope the second winner let you keep your prize!

My advice. I think you are taking the term "steal" too literally. It was a game with a twist, she may have thought you were more up for the craic than us uptight Brits ;)
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your interpretation of what she meant is correct think you have the right to be absolutely bloody furious. However what was said was the fault of that individual, I wouldn't let that put you off Body Shop products forever. In my opinion you should complain. If your complaint is not dealt with appropriately then boycott the Body Shop!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope the second winner let you keep your prize!

Nope! ha! It was passed around quite a bit and ended up with the brides mother :rolleyes:
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    Nope! ha! It was passed around quite a bit and ended up with the brides mother :rolleyes:

What a fix!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i did not know that, thank you Marz - they still represent the company though surely? The Body Shop should know about the people they have out there being the "face" of thier company??

To a certain extent yes they do represent the company, but it's cleverly done under 'The Body Shop at Home' which is not the same as 'The Body Shop'. I think any training the consultant does it undertaken in a 'self study way' rather than a training programme. They don't waste money training reps, for them to quit after a few weeks, market it as 'anyone can make money' so the company avoid hiring and firing people - the good reps will have lots of parties, the bad ones won't.

The main idea from it is that reps will spend around £200 to join up which they'll get tester products, training manuals and a uniform, in return for 50% off any orders they make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your interpretation of what she meant is correct think you have the right to be absolutely bloody furious.

Well i just can't understand what the connection is with stealing and being Irish - I wonder if we are re-nouned in Wales for being thiefs or something??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i just can't understand what the connection is with stealing and being Irish - I wonder if we are re-nouned in Wales for being thiefs or something??

I think what was intimated was even worse than being Irish and being a thief. I think she was suggesting you were an Irish "pikey" .
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are party games that involve 'stealing' gifts - Thieving Secret Santa is one.

Perhaps she thought it was a popular game in Ireland?

You really should have asked her at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drop a line to the consultant, just commenting that you were upset with her over familiar tone and unappreciated 'jokes' if you want to take action, else leave her be - if she offends people when she does her pitches, she'll not get many more bookings!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies , i've emailed The Body Shop with my experience and have had a tweet from them aswell on Twitter - i'll let you know how it goes :)
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of 'gift exchange games' around, most of them originate from America - the Yankee Swap Gift Exchange, Chinese Gift Exchange, Gift Grab etc etc. It sounds to me like the consultant was attempting to be innovative and incorporate some of these ideas into her sales pitch, though quite what the relevance of asking if anyone was Irish beats me.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you've contacted the Body Shop, regardless of the precise status of this individual, and of the game itself. Making 'jokes' like this about any ethnic group is completely unacceptable.

Let us know what response you get.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She sounds socially inept to me, I'm not sure she's suited to the job!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    MarzBar85 wrote: »

L'Oreal is well known for animal abuse. Surely not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had a missed call from a lady at Head Office asking me to call her back so we can discuss the situation, i'll be calling her at 12.30 on my lunch as the Boss is a right nark with personal calls :rolleyes::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a missed call from a lady at Head Office asking me to call her back so we can discuss the situation, i'll be calling her at 12.30 on my lunch as the Boss is a right nark with personal calls :rolleyes::D

I hope you're going to pay for that call. You wouldn't want to be accused of stealing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok the call .... (@ Million Percent : They called me :D) snuck out and took it (don't tell the boss man eh!)

Basically said she was sorry I had to experience this but that essentially the Consultants are self employed, she said she’d send me a £20 voucher as way of apology and that the email i sent had been passed onto the Consultant's area manager ...
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok the call .... (@ Million Percent : They called me :D) snuck out and took it (don't tell the boss man eh!)

Basically said she was sorry I had to experience this but that essentially the Consultants are self employed, she said she’d send me a £20 voucher as way of apology and that the email i sent had been passed onto the Consultant's area manager ...
    I would imagine the consultant will get a dressing down from her line manager, and hopefully will refrain from bringing people's nationalities into her party games in the future.

What are you spending your 20 quid on? Their coconut body butter is gorgeous.:)
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good result and I'm pleased they responded. So many companies just send out an standard apology letter if at all and that's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh i think i'll go for some Dreams Unlimited body butter, i had that before and it smells devine, lasts all day aswell.. There's a sale on too so i may just get a few things, i'm pretty happy with the outcome, i hope the lady doesnt loose her job but takes into consideration what she says to people in future :D