Options

Listen: Melanie Amaro shows how great a singer Alexandra is

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    All those Grammy's that daddy Knowles bought for her. We never said that Alex would be more succesful than Beyonce, we just just said that we thought Alex was a better singer.

She's also a multiple AMA, Billboard, and BRIT award winner. Did Daddy Knowles buy those too? :D
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cedee10 wrote: »
    Are you insane?:eek:

If you think Melanie singing Listen was lacklustre then you need your head looked at!

Everything about Melanie was lacklustre last night. R.Kelly made her look even worse on the duet. The Empress has no clothes.

I seriously can't believe how overrated Melanie is. I was expecting to be blown away by her. Yet she's probably not even as good as Jordin Sparks, who is often looked upon as a middle of the road talent who only won because Melinda Doolittle wasn't considered "marketable" enough.
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    i think Melanie's voice is good, but that's it, it wasn't amazing...
    she screamed too much, like seriously too much...especially in the end

don't accuse me because i'm an Alexandra Fan but i just thought her version was better
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    That's her "showbiz age":D

Beyonka is a middle aged woman. She looks good for her age though.

I've always thought Beyawnce was older than she says she is. She claimed to be 16 when DC first came out but I never bought it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p2bab wrote: »
    She's also a multiple AMA, Billboard, and BRIT award winner. Did Daddy Knowles buy those too? :D

Daddy Knowles did everything for Beyince at the expense of the other girls in DC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie sang Listen on the X-Factor US final. And it really did feel like such a lacklustre performance compared to Alexandra's solo version of it on the show.

I almost can't believe Melanie is being touted as some new vocal giant. She's got a big voice, but Alexandra is easily a better singer. I'm surprised how easily, since I assumed it would be closer. I can't quite understand the Leona comparisons to Melanie either, because on the evidence I've seen, Leona is miles better a vocalist as well.

Do people just give Melanie props because she's American, and we naturally assume that the talent pool in America should be bigger and better? Because our two solo female winners are more talented vocalists than Melanie .

This is why I've always said Alexandra would blow Americans away on vocals alone, if she ever got the opportunity to sing Stateside, doing songs like Listen, The Silence and Halellujah. If Melanie can come this close to probably winning US X-Factor, Alex could have walked it (particularly considering her versatility and performing skills as well).

i'm not a fan of Alex or Leona but I prefer both of them to Melanie who has a decent enough voice but to me is way too shouty/screamy and extremely dated .... and all the preachy speaches totally put me off her
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you insane?:eek:

If you think Melanie singing Listen was lacklustre then you need your head looked at!
    I think he needs more than that. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Everything about Melanie was lacklustre last night. R.Kelly made her look even worse on the duet. The Empress has no clothes.

I seriously can't believe how overrated Melanie is. I was expecting to be blown away by her. Yet she's probably not even as good as Jordin Sparks, who is often looked upon as a middle of the road talent who only won because Melinda Doolittle wasn't considered "marketable" enough.

As if any more proof was needed, you have lost the plot.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As if any more proof was needed, you have lost the plot.:rolleyes:

What proof?:rolleyes:

L.A Reid said the same thing. R.Kelly completely overshadowed her on the duet. Most of the comments on youtube and various blogs seem to have said the same thing.

Have all these people lost the plot too?

I just didn't find her impressive. I don't think she'd ever have been able to realistically win American Idol. Just disappointed with US X-Factor overall, as it seemed promising initially.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

L.A Reid said the same thing. R.Kelly completely overshadowed her on the duet. Most of the comments on youtube and various blogs seem to have said the same thing.

I just didn't find her impressive. I don't think she'd ever have been able to realistically win American Idol. Just disappointed with US X-Factor overall, as it seemed promising initially.
    LA also said that Melanie's "Listen" was 50 million dollar performance. And last week he said that Melanie was best singer ever to come out of this kind of stage. So aren't we selective today? :D
  • Options
    suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie has closer similarities to Leona, but not as good as Leona. It may work against Leona as Simon will start promoting Melanie more in US than Leona
    diamond1 wrote: »
    i'm not a fan of Alex or Leona but I prefer both of them to Melanie who has a decent enough voice but to me is way too shouty/screamy and extremely dated .... and all the preachy speaches totally put me off her
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all opinion. Just because L.A. says something that makes it fact? Let's be honest, Mr. Reid is a complete ****.

I gotta say, I'm really confused at this thread because so many people seem to be looking at Melanie's performance as if it was really bad and highlights how much of an amazing singer Alex is. Both are great performances, it's down to preference who you think is better. They're both traditional diva belters, however their voices are very different.

On a technical vocal ability level, Melanie wins it for me. She seems to be able to hit and sustain harder notes for longer periods of times. Alexandra tends to do one of those traditional "blemish hides" by turning a powerful note you'd hear from her in the studio into head voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    p2bab wrote: »

Yes :D
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyoncé wouldn't be where she is now without her father. She didn't just have a friend in a high place, she had a family member in a high place.
    This isn't quite the same given that Tommy Mottola was on the roof of Sony, but Mariah Carey would not be where she is now had she not married him.

The majority of very successful artists had some kind of significant help getting where they are. Obviously there are those that just got pure lucky, and I'm sure Beyoncé was talented enough to be where she is, but I'm just saying... networking.
  • Options
    *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    Melanie has gone downhill since her audition....but even then, i didn't anything special in her. She's a very competent singer but has zero star quality.

I don't even think Listen was Alexandra's best performance on the show but it was still miles better than what Melanie served up last night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member

Yes! And the internet community hardly speaks for the majority of America.
  • Options
    suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think so, Josh has the crown in his bag! He is truly talented who is also a multi instrumentalist.

I'm not a fan of Alex now, but still this is one of the greatest performances in XFactor ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccthIuJOi5A
    Yes! And the internet community hardly speaks for the majority of America.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona is always going to be Simon's teacher's pet. And I'm pretty sure he knows she's a much better singer than Melanie. But he's a buisnessman at the end of the day. He knows that if Americans buy into Melanie as a new "vocal diva", then she could potentially have a far longer lasting career than Leona (at least in the States).

As an aside, I can't believe how good R .Kelly still sounds. Melanie seemed a bit outclassed singing I Believe I Can Fly with him. He's never fully quite gotten the credit of his female equivalents (Mariah, Whitney, Christina etc), but R.Kelly is probably the most vocally talented mainstream male pop vocalist of the last 2 decades. The likes of Usher or JUstin Timberlake (or even Ne-Yo) do not compare.
    I used to see him busking in the train station. My middle school was next to his old high school. I remember when he got signed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I prefered Alexandra's version too, not sure about Melanie's voice...sure it's big but I don't find it that distinctive. Also with some songs she doesn't seem like she's putting enough effort in. I wonder if she would sell records here...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I refrained from making the comparison until I'd seen Melanie's performance, even though I'd seen her audition version I wanted to be fair. I don't even think this is debatable. Melanie seems like a nice enough girl but her version was awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I refrained from making the comparison until I'd seen Melanie's performance, even though I'd seen her audition version I wanted to be fair. I don't even think this is debatable. Melanie seems like a nice enough girl but her version was awful.

I know right. Like I said in my original post, I was shocked at how it wasn't even close.

I wonder if that's why Simon went so OTT in his praise. Calling Melanie one of the best singers in the world after that performance!?!

Is he for real. I know he has a habit of lying on behalf of singers in his category (Eogahn Quigg and Danyl Johnson spring to mind), but he was stretching his waning credibility there.
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Denise Pearson (Five Star singer, now appearing in the Respect La Diva West End musical) does a cracking live version of this song. She's always pitch perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZyJ7NaruKE

Have often thought she'd make a good X Factor judge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Beyoncé wouldn't be where she is now without her father. She didn't just have a friend in a high place, she had a family member in a high place.
    This isn't quite the same given that Tommy Mottola was on the roof of Sony, but Mariah Carey would not be where she is now had she not married him.

The majority of very successful artists had some kind of significant help getting where they are. Obviously there are those that just got pure lucky, and I'm sure Beyoncé was talented enough to be where she is, but I'm just saying... networking.

Two totally different situations. Tony was very powerful and highly influencial in the business when Mariah married him. Matthew Knowles on the other hand had zero clout or experience in the music industry prior to Destiny's Child breaking out, he was and is no different than the millions of other parents who manage their childrens career.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    That's her "showbiz age":D

Beyonka is a middle aged woman. She looks good for her age though.

Beyonce has loads of photographic and video proof to back up the age she claims saying she's middle aged if about as ridiculous as making the same claim about Alex out of thin air.