Options

How do the weather reports choose their location markers?

Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For example on ITV news just now there was an empty map of southern England but Catford and Enfield were marked on the map. Recently I have seen places like Penge and Elstree come up when there has been nothing going on in those places to my knowledge to warrant it.

I can understand it when there is a sports event or outside event which would lead to the weather stations telling the country what is happening there but some of these places just seem so random and without obvious reason.

Is it all random or are they chosen for a reason?

It's no biggy but something I have always wondered.

Comments

• Options
    Paul GraysonPaul Grayson Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago on Tyne Tees, when Bob Johnson presented the weather, some really obscure places would appear on the map. If you took the initial letter of each place name, they would spell out something topical when read from north to south.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an infamous bulletin hosted by Kaddy Lee Preston on South East Today where all the place names on the map were the risque ones such as Pratts Bottom and Upper Dicker.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall Look East doing an A-Z type idea, seeing to get some obscure places on the regional weather.
    The National forecast seems more often to have places that are home to BBC regional studios I notice.
  • Options
    NarcissusNarcissus Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    You would like to think they pick places near the edge of the relevant weather situation at the given time, so people can judge where the (say) rain or cloud is relative to where they are.

Being cynical, I also suspect that its part of their paranoia about being too "metropolitan" so they try to balance things out by putting a few obscure places in instead of major cities; if so that is just silly.