Alex Burke: Why is our best current popstar being screwed by the industry? (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneres11 wrote: »

It all comes down to likeability as well as promotion - but her current music is so generic that even a shed load of promotion wouldn't help it much. She is lagging so far behind other female artists in terms of what she bringing - so all of this best UK female artist is nonsense. Her singles and new album do not match that bold statement at all.

Exactly... she may have a better voice etc. But she's just a nobody in people's eyes. She had exposure/ radio play after Bad boys -and.... People liked the song - but not her.

I'm convinced she could be a presenter on Xfactor and still it wouldn't help her career hugely because people simply don't warm to her.
    She isn't a poster girl either, so unless her music is out of this world (It's not) she isn't going to get beyond the likes of Jessie J.

Good artist yes, but not someone the kids all want to be like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    It helps the likes of Rihanna, Jessie and Cheryl. :)

Once again - likeable.

Alexandra isn't. End of dot com.
    See what I did there? :rolleyes:
  • BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneres11 wrote: »
    Not strictly true. Cheryl does like 1 live performance of her release single and that's it. Usually on X Factor - this year The Voice. There is no greater place to do it.

Jessie J is on The Voice...

But the fact is - Jessie and Cheryl are likeable to more people. Alexandra Burke does not come across very well at all I'm afraid. Her XFactor stint did her no favours what so ever. It was pretty cringe and everyone I spoke to after it all said how much they find her annoying.

It all comes down to likeability as well as promotion - but her current music is so generic that even a shed load of promotion wouldn't help it much. She is lagging so far behind other female artists in terms of what she bringing - so all of this best UK female artist is nonsense. Her singles and new album do not match that bold statement at all.

Ahhh....

You hit on an interesting point. Why exactly are Cheryl and Jessie J more "likable" to the British public than Alex?

All 3 of them technically have "marmite" personalities. Jessie J is actually the most extreme. Never on Alexandra's most annoying day, could she be as irritating an annoying as Jessie J constantly is on THE VOICE. But while Jessie does have people complaining about her behavior, it hasn't turned into the sort of full-on hate-fest that Alex recieved merely for guest judging one episode of X-Factor and saying "ok.com". jessie does far worse EVERY WEEK.

Cheryl is a cynical ex-chav, guilty of commiting assault on a toilet attendent, yet she's treated like the people's princess.

Why the different standard of acceptibility. On the face of it, Alex is a lot less annoying than Jessie J, and a far more decent human being than Cheryl Cole. Yet somehow, Alex is the "unlikable" one. It doesn't compute. There must be other factors at play.

Basically, if you start using the "likability" argument with the likes of Cheryl and Jessie, the race factor comes into play. Because there is no way Cheryl and Jessie could be black and get away with their behavior and personalities.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Does she write her own songs, produce her own songs, play instruments, have artistic vision, compose her songs, explore concepts, challenge topics in her songwriting, direct her own music video's etc, answer: no.

Seriously, Alexandra is not an example of an artist.

Answer yes. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    This topic has been done to death now.

She might be able to sing and dance but by god, Alexandra is not an artist. Maybe one day, you never know what'll happen, but I disagree she's an artist.

She's not an artist. Right now I would say that her and Cheryl a popstars but not artists, there's nothing artistic about what they do.

When you look at the British females currently enjoying success Amy, Adele, Florence, Ellie, Paloma, Marina etc, have all spent a lot of time doing the rounds before getting signed which gives them their own unique performing styles, they've been writing music for years rather than just receiving ready made hits and they have a bit more depth to their music.

There's nothing wrong with liking Cheryl and Alexandra, they provide something different to those other girls and there is a valid place for them but calling artist is imo incorrect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    Ahhh....

You hit on an interesting point. Why exactly are Cheryl and Jessie J more "likable" to the British public than Alex?

All 3 of them technically have "marmite" personalities. Jessie J is actually the most extreme. Never on Alexandra's most annoying day, could she be as irritating an annoying as Jessie J constantly is on THE VOICE. But while she does have people complaining about her behavior, it hasn't turned into the sort of full-on hate-fest that Alex recieved merely for guest judging one episode of X-Factor and saying "ok.com".

Cheryl is a cynical ex-chav, guilty of commiting assault on a toilet attendent, yet she's treated like the people's princess.

Why the different standard of acceptibility. On the face of it, Alex is a lot less annoying than Jessie J, and a far more decent human being than Cheryl Cole. Yet somehow, Alex is the "unlikable" one. It doesn't compute. There must be other factors at play.
    Ask yourself this... Do you see more 10 year old girls wanting to be like Alexandra or Jessie J?

Your answer to that question will give you the "popstar".
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's co-wrote two songs on her new album, so she hasn't wrote any songs herself. Co-writing on two songs doesn't make you a songwriter.

And no she hasn't explored a concept oh dear oh dear :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When she writes a hit song the answer can be yes....
    I'm sick of this " I co wrote 8 songs on my album" cough cough.... "but my label couldn't trust me to actually write any of the singles" business..
    Forum Member
    She's co-wrote two songs on her new album, so she hasn't wrote any songs herself. Co-writing on two songs doesn't make you a songwriter.

And no she hasn't explored a concept oh dear oh dear :rolleyes:

Oh dear calm down neither has your fave. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not an artist. Right now I would say that her and Cheryl a popstars but not artists, there's nothing artistic about what they do.

When you look at the British females currently enjoying success Amy, Adele, Florence, Ellie, Paloma, Marina etc, have all spent a lot of time doing the rounds before getting signed which gives them their own unique performing styles, they've been writing music for years rather than just receiving ready made hits and they have a bit more depth to their music.

There's nothing wrong with liking Cheryl and Alexandra, they provide something different to those other girls and there is a valid place for them but calling artist is imo incorrect.

I want to bang my head against the wall at the fact her fans think she's an artist. Amy, Adele, Florence, Ellie, Paloma, Marina, all examples of artists.

Like you said, nothing wrong with being a popstar like Cheryl and Alexandra but when people start claiming their "artists"..
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a first, maybe someone should leak a sex tape of her? would that be interesting enough for you? :rolleyes:

Funnily enough that thought never occured to me maybe you should come down off your pedestal ;)

I merely meant for our ''greatest'' popstar she brings absolutely nothing new to the table perhaps you should learn to take criticism.
    Forum Member
    Ahhh....

All 3 of them technically have "marmite" personalities. Jessie J is actually the most extreme. Never on Alexandra's most annoying day, could she be as irritating an annoying as Jessie J constantly is on THE VOICE. But while Jessie does have people complaining about her behavior, it hasn't turned into the sort of full-on hate-fest that Alex recieved merely for guest judging one episode of X-Factor and saying "ok.com". jessie does far worse EVERY WEEK.

Basically, if you start using the "likability" argument with the likes of Cheryl and Jessie, the race factor comes into play. Because there is no way Cheryl and Jessie could be black and get away with their behavior and personalities.

So does my white-half over power my black-half to make me dislike Alexandra? :rolleyes:

Please I dislike all 3, but Alexandra is far more jarring!

Alexandra is an X Factor winner so she's sitting there with a f*ck off large bullseye. Her treatment has probably been better than any other X Factor winner other than Leona, who just throws in a super high note to get people back on side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask yourself this... Do you see more 10 year old girls wanting to be like Alexandra or Jessie J?

How the hell should I know the answer to that? I'm not going to go around the polling 10 year old girls on this question:D

Besides, at the peak of Alex's success when her first album went double platinum and she scored several no.1 singles, I'm sure many hypothetical 10 year old girls loved her more than Jessie J. Maybe Jessie J is more popular now, but in a year's time, all those 10 year old girls you are talking about might want to be Rita Ora instead.

Basically, it's a silly point you are making. Not all popstars peak in popularity at the same time. Alex was more popular than Jessie J before she blew up, and someone will be more popular than Jessie J in a year or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear calm down neither has your fave. :cool:

Robyn, Marina, Amy Winehouse, Kate Bush etc.. pretty sure my 'faves' have ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think appearing on X Factor as a judge did her any favours... not only were some of her statements utter BS "Okay Dot Com"... but Barlow was a right so and so towards her when she argued with him.

Not to mention, appearing on programmes like Celebrity Juice is hardly... erm... worldwide popstar stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does my white-half over power my black-half to make me dislike Alexandra? :rolleyes:

Please I dislike all 3, but Alexandra is far more jarring!

Alexandra is an X Factor winner so she's sitting there with a f*ck off large bullseye. Her treatment has probably been better than any other X Factor winner other than Leona, who just throws in a super high note to get people back on side.

No, Alexandra is not more jarring than Jessie J on THE VOICE.

Nobody is.

I genuinely think if Alex acted like Jessie on The Voice, she'd be physically attacked on the street.
    Forum Member
    Robyn, Marina, Amy Winehouse, Kate Bush etc.. pretty sure my 'faves' have ;)

I was actually referring to the shrine that you keep Miss Cheryl. :)
    Forum Member
    I want to bang my head against the wall at the fact her fans think she's an artist. Amy, Adele, Florence, Ellie, Paloma, Marina, all examples of artists.

Like you said, nothing wrong with being a popstar like Cheryl and Alexandra but when people start claiming their "artists"..

Exactly they've spent years building and working on their craft playing for some god awful venues. Selling their own CDs to record shops and building up their fan bases from nothing. Even Jessie J is more artistic because despite releasing similar music I believe is more involved in making her music from a much earlier stage than Alexandra or Cheryl would be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People say they dislike her for being "cocky" - which I think is unfair.

Alexandra isn't cocky or arrogant, she doesn't say she's the best etc..

But she comes across as someone who thinks she has more fans than she does... Deluded maybe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Ok - well let me tell you my thoughts on them. And I want to clarify that I am no huge fan of any of them. But I like all their music and think they each offer something different so I am totally unbiased here.

Cheryl - has a past. But she has a story. She was shit on by a dick of a husband which the British public do not like. She was great on the Xfactor - and it made her a nation sweetheart. She nearly died (apparently) which was all throughout the xfactor time - and people care about her. She makes on trend, solid music. Regardless of talent, Cheryl plays to her strengths and she is without doubt one of the best 'performers' in this country.

Jessie J - Incredible voice. Not a fan of the vocal gymnastics but she leaves that off studio records (mostly) so that's good. Jessie has got it right with her single choices. If you want someone who is unique - it's Jessie J. Both in appearance and sound. When she is on the radio - you know it's her. She also writes her own stuff. And I mean everything. This shines through on her recordings. Because it all means something to her.

Alexandra Burke does not write her own music. She has a fantastic voice - like crazy good. Has that been show cased in any of her singles - no. She appears in newspapers and magazines and the stuff she comes out with just makes me dislike her. Like her first album - she claimed all the songs had 'her stamp' on them because she gave the writers her diary and they used that as inspiration. What a load of rubbish. Just shut up woman. You didn't write the songs, and you deserve no credit for it. Her xfactor stint - awful. Did her no favours at all. We all know why.
    Alexandra's music is (I'll say it again) generic. Rihanna's recent stuff is generic (aside from We Found Love) - but her other stuff is not generic. She ALWAYS ha a killer single which gives her album sales. And usually the singles after are great too. Alexandra has had 1 killer single - Bad Boys. It was pretty fierce to be fair and her voice sounded great on it. After that - it's all gone downhill.

I guess the reason I have such an opinion on this is purely because I know how much talent she has. I voted for her on XFactor! But she is totally undelivering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually referring to the shrine that you keep Miss Cheryl. :)

I wasn't aware I kept a "shrine" for Cheryl. I'm guessing this stems from the time I said she was a better dancer then Alexandra based on her voice perfomance. It was true, Cheryl did some great dancing. You're allowed to praise a performance, though I wasn't aware that automatically meant they were a 'fave' of yours. Cheryl is most definitely not a 'fave' of mine haha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessie J is unique!?!:D

i heard her last two singles on Radio and thought it was Katy Perry. I literally thought DOMINO and LASERLIGHT were new Katy Perry tracks. Jessie is a magpie. She's got no sound or identity of her own, and just jumps on anything that's popular at the moment.

Jessie epitomises the word "generic" She's like a more talented and better marketed Pixie Lott (someone who also used the "I'm a songwriter" card to gain umerited kudos).

In the space of 9 months, she went from "the British Rhianna" to "the British Lady Gaga" to "the British Katy Perry". It's baffling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the hell should I know the answer to that? I'm not going to go around the polling 10 year old girls on this question:D

Besides, at the peak of Alex's success when her first album went double platinum and she scored several no.1 singles, I'm sure many hypothetical 10 year old girls loved her more than Jessie J. Maybe Jessie J is more popular now, but in a year's time, all those 10 year old girls you are talking about might want to be Rita Ora instead.

Basically, it's a silly point you are making. Not all popstars peak in popularity at the same time. Alex was more popular than Jessie J before she blew up, and someone will be more popular than Jessie J in a year or two.

Well obviously :D

Even around the time Alex had exposure with Bad Boys, she wasn't liked... I've heard people say " I like this song, but not her"

No amount of exposure will win over people to be honest.
    She could release another smash here and people will dance to it, but they won't like her, or buy her album, or buy her poster.

I'll put it this way, never has a kid at church, one of my brother's friends or any of my cousins ever been an Alex fanatic - even before Jessie came about.
    A good number of them have bought Jessie J's album.

She's not a Popstar, singing and dancing well doesn't change that.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish people would stop throwing the word "generic" around, its so overused these days, its in the ear of the beholder after all.
    As for bringing in other artists, Jessie is a chav and is so unlikeble its unreal, her live singing is almost ear shatteringly awful when she does those gymnsastics of her's.
    As for Cheryl, she's the peoples princess and she can dance very well, as for her singing, its no where near as good as Alexandra's.
    I dont get why people find Alex unlikeable, I find her very nice, bubbly and full of personality.
    But Cheryl and Jessie have radio support, they get tons of promo and are in all the magazines etc, its odd because Alexandra's new album sh!ts all over anything Cheryl or Jessie have ever done.
    Forum Member
    No, Alexandra is not more jarring than Jessie J on THE VOICE.

Nobody is.

I genuinely think if Alex acted like Jessie on The Voice, she'd be physically attacked on the street.

I honestly can't tell the difference between the two.

Jessie J is new so people are still enamored by her in the same way the public were with Alexandra a few years ago.

Alexandra got old and people simply got bored with her, that's the curse of the popstar. Rather than reinventing herself in a more relevant way that could have demonstrated some sort of progression she came back with a generic safe sound, boring videos and an image that was all sorts of wrong. Nothing could have saved her after all that.

If you look at any popstar that's been around for years they have to constantly stop themselves slipping into irrelevancy, Madonna, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Britney, Mariah etc have all had to make sure that they aren't upstaged by newer artists. Alexandra has tried and seemingly has failed.