Dave Lee Travis GUILTY

jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good riddance and about time to

Found not guilty of the two "old" charges and guilty of the indecent assault new charge.

Seems to me the CCP were lucky to dig up a new complainant and the jury believed her .

Comments

• idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Yup, keep going until you can get one to stick seems to be the way over at the CPS regarding these.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew someone who was the person who booked turns for his college student union in the 1970s. And the minute the pogrom on 70s' perverts started (a week or two defore DLT was arrested or his name was even in the hat) this person said to me "They'll have to get DLT."

Apparently, despite DLT's claims that pawing women was acceptable in the 70s, this particular college's young student females were not impressed by his behaviour. And although these were not underage - they were still very young women. So the only surprising thing to me about this is that he didn't get a Guilty on the earlier charges.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Yup, keep going until you can get one to stick seems to be the way over at the CPS regarding these.
    They might just as well haul in every male in the country over the age of 55 on a charge like this.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... but unless you are famous, or have pots of money, the women probably won't even remember you. :D
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No more DLT on nostalgia radio, or TV broadcasting retrospectives. Can we survive?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    No more DLT on nostalgia radio, or TV broadcasting retrospectives. Can we survive?

I don't see why, he goosed someone, he didn't systematically rape children, most men of a certain age have goosed a woman at one time or another.

He cannot be put in the same box as Stuart Hall for instance.

I doubt he will even get a jail sentence.It's not the crime of the century.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    They even resorted to the old majority verdict in the end.
  • chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Good riddance and about time to

Found not guilty of the two "old" charges and guilty of the indecent assault new charge.

Seems to me the CCP were lucky to dig up a new complainant and the jury believed her .

Isn't the complainant in the guilty charge now a well known celebrity herself? Which makes this case a bit more unique than just some nameless woman jumping on the bandwagon.

I wonder if it made the jury more likely to believe her.
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    They even resorted to the old majority verdict in the end.

Anything to get any kind of conviction.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite surprised that some guys seem to think that going up to a woman and groping her breasts is acceptable behaviour. Would they say the same if some random guy came up to them and started to grope their genitals?
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Isn't the complainant in the guilty charge now a well known celebrity herself? Which makes this case a bit more unique than just some nameless woman jumping on the bandwagon.

Apparently she's a well known presenter here in BBC NI
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually quite surprised that some guys seem to think that going up to a woman and groping her breasts is acceptable behaviour. Would they say the same if some random guy came up to them and started to grope their genitals?

I think there's a difference between thinking it's acceptable, and thinking it's a criminal offence worthy of losing your house and career over. He seems to have suffered disproportionately for his bad behaviour.....
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    chrisw99 wrote: »

She's not that famous.

But she did tell a senior producer immediately and it was he who contacted the police without her knowledge when the first claims about DLT came to light. And he gave evidence to the effect which I would suggest made her account more credible than some of the others.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I think there's a difference between thinking it's acceptable, and thinking it's a criminal offence worthy of losing your house and career over. He seems to have suffered disproportionately for his bad behaviour.....

Nail on head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member

Agree - it is totally unacceptable.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »

Maybe he should have considered the feelings of the people he groped at the time instead of thinking he could get away with it. Guess what - he didn't.
    Forum Member
    Maybe he should have considered the feelings of the people he groped at the time instead of thinking he could get away with it. Guess what - he didn't.

It should have been dealt with at the time, a swift smack around the chops would have sufficed.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It should have been dealt with at the time, a swift smack around the chops would have sufficed.

Nope. It's being dealt with now as it should have been at the time.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And doing something like that to a guy couldn't go horribly wrong?
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Nope. It's being dealt with now as it should have been at the time.

Nope, it should have been dealt with there and then, a smack in the chops would have stopped him, he would have felt sheepish, apologised and that would have been the end of it, now he might lose everything because of one silly moment.

This was the 90s, people were still very touchy feely. Men and women in the 70s, 80s and 90s were more free with their hands, these days everyone is scared to even touch another person through fear of being arrested for it, I slapped many a man back then for not thinking about what he was doing , my husband had women touch him when he worked in a factory, men get a worse deal sometimes because they arent allowed to slap back. this woman had the opportunity to stop him straight away. If you let someone touch you for 15 seconds without doing anything about it then bigger fool you.
    Forum Member
    And doing something like that to a guy couldn't go horribly wrong?

Such as???
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you really think that being dragged through two court cases and losing your house in the process is proportional punishment for once groping someone's boobs?
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Such as???

He hits back harder?
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my wife started work as a teenager in the 60s, a lad in the office tried to undo her bra, she swung round and slapped him hard across the face, he got the message and they became good workmates afterwards. Today he would be arrested, lose his job, and go on the sex offenders register.
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    He hits back harder?

SO now he's a woman beater??
    *sigh*

Next he'll be the devil himself ;)