Heart GRRRRRR (again !)

1235»

Comments

• franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    You'd have to have the IQ of a plant to listen to any Global station for any period of time. Period.

That'll be me then. But I flick around to find a station playing music I want to hear at that time, whether it is Heart, Real, Smooth, Ridings, Yorkshire...or flick to LBC, 5Live or Talk Sport if I want to hear a bit of conversation. Just need watering now...
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way some people seem to talk about X-factor are you are sure they are 'normal people'?
    I don't watch it, but people start talking about the contestants, what I think of singer a,b or c, and find it weird that I do not watch it.
    Maybe because I prefer guitar led bands like Queen, Bon Jovi. Oasis, and as far as i know that sort of band don't get on the show.

Good for you - and you are well served by the likes of Absolute and all its spin-offs, Xfm, 6 Music & Planet Rock and by TV programmes like Later With Jools Holland.

But that doesn't mean people who prefer different types of music, like the pop and R&B that Heart and Capital play, or who enjoy watching the X Factor, are any less worthy or intelligent. It's called personal choice and I find people who sneer at other people's musical tastes or TV preferences supremely arrogant.

If you don't like it, fine - but that doesn't make it wrong.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listened to BBC Radio 4 on 93.7 FM between 8 and 9 PM.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    Good for you - and you are well served by the likes of Absolute and all its spin-offs, Xfm, 6 Music & Planet Rock and by TV programmes like Later With Jools Holland.

But that doesn't mean people who prefer different types of music, like the pop and R&B that Heart and Capital play, or who enjoy watching the X Factor, are any less worthy or intelligent. It's called personal choice and I find people who sneer at other people's musical tastes or TV preferences supremely arrogant.

If you don't like it, fine - but that doesn't make it wrong.

You said that people who watch the X-Factor are normal. I wasn't questioning IQ, just the way some 'normal' people assume that if you don't watch the X-Factor and love the music it generates on Heart you are abnormal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A colleague watching ITV Anglia, mentioned Heart are promoting themselves on TV through adverts. Another campaign?
    Think that is the third year in a row that they have had a advertising push at Christmas/New Year. If the old heritage stations had, had a brand to push on TV etc maybe we would have stations with more variety.
    For all the adverts/marketing budget had Heart really reaped the benefits in terms of greater audience share in both hours and listeners?
  • radioman2radioman2 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw some of their adverts on ITV West as well,thought it was a bit odd,thought everyone was short of money.

A colleague watching ITV Anglia, mentioned Heart are promoting themselves on TV through adverts. Another campaign?
    Think that is the third year in a row that they have had a advertising push at Christmas/New Year. If the old heritage stations had, had a brand to push on TV etc maybe we would have stations with more variety.
    For all the adverts/marketing budget had Heart really reaped the benefits in terms of greater audience share in both hours and listeners?
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Heart TV ad is also on Sky One and Living.

I saw it on The History Channel last night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    jimmylad wrote: »
    So he wasn't lying lol?

You don't appear to like much,lol,
    saw a few posts on the Footy Comm's
    you hate Clive T , as well as Tim Caple as is,well everyone.

Who in your opinion is worth a listen ,

Clive T and Tim Caple are absolute professionals of the art
    no substitute for good knowledge and great voice .

and then Old Barry Davies what a loss .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title of this thread came to mind yesterday at work.
    Heart Bedford on the tannoy
    15.33 Black Eyed Peas- I Gotta Feeling
    18.25 Black Eyed Peas- I Gotta Feeling
    20.45 Black Eyed Peas- I Gotta Feeling

Popular song? Yes
    So why was it not played on London around that time? Or do they have someone else programme the music for the locals? Does local music planner person not get to see the network music list and think...that songs going to be on three times in about five hours?

Then I heard a song that was different (and I liked), stood out from all the other stuff at 18.10 Need You Know by Lady Antebellum, first time I recall hearing them on Heart. Just a pity that it has taken from 2009 when it was released to 2011 to hear them on Heart...whilst boring old Smooth Radio were playing some of their stuff last year. I know Heart defenders will say that Heart are not responsible for breaking new music/acts... rather just wait for a TV show or another Radio station to take the risks of trying new stuff out instead.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <snip>

Then I heard a song that was different (and I liked), stood out from all the other stuff at 18.10 Need You Know by Lady Antebellum, first time I recall hearing them on Heart. Just a pity that it has taken from 2009 when it was released to 2011 to hear them on Heart...whilst boring old Smooth Radio were playing some of their stuff last year. <snip>

Actually Heart were playing that song last April:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=39803133&highlight=lady+antebellum#post39803133

And got criticised:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=40611159&postcount=425

Heart can't win can they?!?
  • chrismjcchrismjc Posts: 154
    Forum Member

Popular song? Yes
    So why was it not played on London around that time? Or do they have someone else programme the music for the locals? Does local music planner person not get to see the network music list and think...that songs going to be on three times in about five hours?

There is no 'local music planner' - both the network and London logs are done in London and shipped out to Genesys installations in all Heart sites.

It wasn't played on London at that time because London uses the local hours it has to drop in older songs to keep it more in line with the original licence whereas the network stations (which have been amalgamated over the years) tend to have licences which require them to have a heavier slant towards more recent songs.

This was all following that drama around the time of the Heart migration when GWR Bristol got issued with a yellow card for not playing enough recent songs to keep it in line with its licence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »

Well my apologies to Heart on that song, maybe they did not play it as frequently as other songs and it failed to become ingrained in the brain...like the previously mentioned song,,,or Xanadu...
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a301919/magic-1054-retains-london-radio-crown.html

Heart being thrashed, Yes In London but that won't please the people who constantly big up Heart and say how wonderful it is and how it is so perfect at what it does lol :p
  • THE MIXERTHE MIXER Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrismjc wrote: »
    There is no 'local music planner' - both the network and London logs are done in London and shipped out to Genesys installations in all Heart sites.

It wasn't played on London at that time because London uses the local hours it has to drop in older songs to keep it more in line with the original licence whereas the network stations (which have been amalgamated over the years) tend to have licences which require them to have a heavier slant towards more recent songs.

This was all following that drama around the time of the Heart migration when GWR Bristol got issued with a yellow card for not playing enough recent songs to keep it in line with its licence.

So what are we saying then that the Heart licence and playlist is different to the rest for some shows then
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THE MIXER wrote: »
    So what are we saying then that the Heart licence and playlist is different to the rest for some shows then

Yes.

The ex-GCap stations were CHR and the London (example) is AC so on the ex-GCaps you'll hear sometimes more Top 40 / Current tracks as opposed to London because they have to satisfy the licence. It's either that or have Ofcom on their backs (similar to when GWR Bristol got a yellow card for playing too much AC before becoming Heart).
  • mcampbell595mcampbell595 Posts: 343
    Forum Member

I used to love that song until it was overplayed on the radio. And by MTV Dance.
  • wildehavanawildehavana Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't listen to Heart because it doesn't appeal to me. If so many of you all feel the same way about Hearts output then why not tune to a different station and leave Heart to those who do happen to like it. There must be something out there that does appeal to you :rolleyes:

If enough of you tune away from the station then someone at Heart will notice and maybe try to find out why.