Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just posted this on the three FB sites (the ones I know about ;)) and I thought I would post here. Probably best to email me if you have anything you would like added:

One more thing - I really plan to expand the "Links" section to try to put together a really good reference for all online articles I can find: Doc Martin articles, Doc Martin Reviews, Martin Clunes articles, Caroline Catz articles, other cast member articles, etc. if you have some you would like to see included, email them to me at portwennonline@yahoo.com and I can start building a nice database for all of our use. Thanks in advance for your help on this part of the website!
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    My bet is that it's Martin Clunes. I have read (somewhere) that he is a collector of antique radios and such. (ConnieJ will surely be able to pinpoint the reference.)
    u.

I read an article somewhere that Martin Clunes Mum always listened to Radio 4 and because of this he developed quite an affection for radio in general. He apparently will record radio plays and then listen to them while driving in the car. He also does radio interviews. I don't know if that's a Brit thing. I can't imagine American celebrities on the radio. In the US it is mostly a vast wasteland of shite.

I love how they bring in radios and Volkswagens and cacti and all the little personal pieces to dress the sets. It's really fun. Does anyone know about the cacti? They were in Men Behaving Badly also.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    American celebrities, or at least those from the United States, are frequently on radio. If you can't get it in area, try NPR podcast or streaming. Diane Rehm, in particular, has many celebs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Well, I have an announcement to make today, but after reading today's posts I'm a little hesitant about being accused of having no life.

Oh well. I'm retired and can do whatever the hell I like :D:D:D

It's time to share with you all a project I have been working on for the last couple of months. I have created a fan website for Doc Martin that is mostly a repository of information about locations, cast, production, etc. The idea came when I wished to find an easier way to share my research into all of the Doc Martin locations. I have plans to add more as time goes on (some of the S6 stuff is not done yet) and the home page will alert you any new stuff. I would also like to do some interactive things to help make the next two years a bit more bearable - I just have to figure out how to accomplish some of the ideas I have in mind. Anyway, go in and have a look. I hope a few of you will find it "useful" :-).

www.portwennonline.com

Thanks so much for this, Shop Girl. It's great for reference, but it's also so much fun! I've spent a lot of time "in" the surgery this morning. There's so much I never spotted. Cool.:)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DocMartin

The site has been more or less updated to reflect S6.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Well, I have an announcement to make today, but after reading today's posts I'm a little hesitant about being accused of having no life.

Oh well. I'm retired and can do whatever the hell I like :D:D:D

It's time to share with you all a project I have been working on for the last couple of months. I have created a fan website for Doc Martin that is mostly a repository of information about locations, cast, production, etc. The idea came when I wished to find an easier way to share my research into all of the Doc Martin locations. I have plans to add more as time goes on (some of the S6 stuff is not done yet) and the home page will alert you any new stuff. I would also like to do some interactive things to help make the next two years a bit more bearable - I just have to figure out how to accomplish some of the ideas I have in mind. Anyway, go in and have a look. I hope a few of you will find it "useful" :-).

www.portwennonline.com

Your website is absolutely fabulous (to borrow a phrase from another wonderful British TV program). I tried a little of the sleuthing you did in preparing to go to Port Isaac a couple of years ago but your results are enormously more impressive. Many, many thanks.

I have two suggestions as to other things that you might try to find out though, alas, they don't involve google maps. One is when and why did CC acquire her tattoo. (I might add that while I generally detest tattoos, hers is a rare exception.) The other is what is her birthday. Apparently it is late in the year, since press releases late in November referred to her age as the same as press releases at the beginning of the year.

Again, thanks for your incredible efforts.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My bet is that it's Martin Clunes. I have read (somewhere) that he is a collector of antique radios and such. (ConnieJ will surely be able to pinpoint the reference.)
    I think you are right New Park. I can see the article in my head and I'm pretty sure it is one of Connie's.

I have the pictures saved to add sections to my site on all the radios and clocks I have seen in the surgery. I know there are other old radios not found in the surgery too - I seem to remember one in Mrs Cronk's Fish Shop too.

Yes - the 'Cluney Tunes' article.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/62587488@N02/5907104516/
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »
    Your website is absolutely fabulous (to borrow a phrase from another wonderful British TV program). I tried a little of the sleuthing you did in preparing to go to Port Isaac a couple of years ago but your results are enormously more impressive. Many, many thanks.

I have two suggestions as to other things that you might try to find out though, alas, they don't involve google maps. One is when and why did CC acquire her tattoo. (I might add that while I generally detest tattoos, hers is a rare exception.) The other is what is her birthday. Apparently it is late in the year, since press releases late in November referred to her age as the same as press releases at the beginning of the year.

Again, thanks for your incredible efforts.

Don't think that is something that would really fit on the website. Although I have learned a lot about MC's life from the stuff posted here and on FB, I don't really want to get into the private lives of the actors. I do want to post links to articles about them online to add to the usefulness of the site - and if someone found an article that answered those two questions I would jump right in and add that to the links page! :D
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this, Shop Girl. It's great for reference, but it's also so much fun! I've spent a lot of time "in" the surgery this morning. There's so much I never spotted. Cool.:)

Me too! I'm only an occasional poster, but really enjoyed a leisurely mooch around the surgery this morning with my cup of tea and am very impressed at your powers of observation Shopgirl. The white Buddha in particular is quite the celeb, with nowhere he hasn't made a personal appearance! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on FB was able to listen online to Rick Steves interview today with Martin Clunes in which he confirmed that S7 has been commissioned.

The interview will be broadcast on whichever PBS stations carry the Rick Steves radio program, sometime close to when DM airs in the U.S.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on FB was able to listen online to Rick Steves interview today with Martin Clunes in which he confirmed that S7 has been commissioned.

The interview will be broadcast on whichever PBS stations carry the Rick Steves radio program, sometime close to when DM airs in the U.S.

I've heard from Facebook friends that it was a crap interview and they were embarrassed that Rick Steve's had not done any homework and called him Martin Clune-as. One of our own e-mailed into the studio and told them Rick was pronouncing his name wrong! Stupid interviewers! I expect more from them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Confirmed! Well good. Now we can pretend to have real lives at least until early 2015... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now imagine the phone call:

Martin: Hello, Caroline? It’s Martin.
    Caroline: Oh hi, Martin. (yawns) Sorry, been up at all hours for the shoot.
    M: Yeah. Sorry about calling so late. How is the thing going?
    C: Oh, you know, lots of fourteen hour days, and cold as the dickens up here. The usual – fog, cold, rain, as bad as that forest!
    M: Typical of the rotten business we’re in, right? Sorry to call, but I wanted to speak with you. Is this a bad time?
    C: No, no. The kids just got to sleep and Michael is reading a book.
    M: Ah, yes, well… here’s the thing.
    C: Oh… you did say that they weren’t sure; ITV, I mean.
    M: Yeah, well they’ve hashed it over and it seems, well they don’t think Series 6 was quite good enough.
    C: But, but the ratings are just as good as… Damn.
    M: Yeah, well Philippa and I are just heart-broken about it – went back and forth with the telly folk. Argued ’til we were blue in the face. Bad news I’m afraid.
    C: Well, fine… we’ve had a pretty good run. But you know, I’m getting mobbed in the market. One old biddy practically hit me she was so mad. How can you leave him, she yelled.
    M: Had a bit of that myself. But Caroline… we really appreciate all you’ve done.
    C: Thanks Martin, it has been fun; really, but we’ve left them in a terrible spot haven’t we?
    M: True, true. Lost in the stars.
    C: It won’t be (sniffs) ever the same will it?
    M: A time to live; a time to die. No. But there is one thing more…
    C: Yeah?
    M: They did say that there is one thing we might do, you can do.
    C: (Sighs) Yeah?
    M: I need you to check your schedule…
    C: Okay... for when?
    M: Let me see, I’ve got it here somewhere. Oh yes, keep your schedule open from March the first to end of July 2015. Seems we’ll have to spending just a teeny more time together… in Port Isaac. They HAVE commissioned it!
    C: OOOhhh! You rat, you really had me going!!
    M: (chuckles) Got you! (laughs aloud)
    C: Wow! Wow! That’s just great! (yells) Hey Michael, we’re on for Series 7!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I've heard from Facebook friends that it was a crap interview and they were embarrassed that Rick Steve's had not done any homework and called him Martin Clune-as. One of our own e-mailed into the studio and told them Rick was pronouncing his name wrong! Stupid interviewers! I expect more from them!

That was me. I couldn't stand listening to him say "Clune-ess" over and over. After I e-mailed them about it, the other guy did tell Rick that "one of our callers" had said it was pronounced "Clunes." MC said, "Yes, it is Clunes, but I'll answer to anything." Then Rick pronounced it correctly a few times, but at the end he said "Clune-ess" yet again!

I've posted to his website:
    "I was very disappointed with the recording session with Martin Clunes. PLEASE when editing it, can Rick pronounce his last name correctly? It is NOT Clune-ess, but one syllable: Clunes. If you'd simply checked Youtube, there are probably hundreds of British interviews where you could hear him being introduced."
    We'll hear when the actual show airs whether that has any effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    That was me. I couldn't stand listening to him say "Clune-ess" over and over. After I e-mailed them about it, the other guy did tell Rick that "one of our callers" had said it was pronounced "Clunes." MC said, "Yes, it is Clunes, but I'll answer to anything." Then Rick pronounced it correctly a few times, but at the end he said "Clune-ess" yet again!

"I was very disappointed with the recording session with Martin Clunes. PLEASE when editing it, can Rick pronounce his last name correctly? It is NOT Clune-ess, but one syllable: Clunes. If you'd simply checked Youtube, there are probably hundreds of British interviews where you could hear him being introduced."

Well, maybe none of "us" will buy his guidebooks? Of course he totally skips Cornwall, anyway. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you. Good work. Maybe I'll just mosey on over there..
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Confirmed! Well good. Now we can pretend to have real lives at least until early 2015... :)

Speaking of which, Rob, are you working on any new fanfics? I am now on my third time through "Hands to Hearts"---for which I thank you. :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Speaking of which, Rob, are you working on any new fanfics? I am now on my third time through "Hands to Hearts"---for which I thank you. :):):)

You are welcome for that. As for anything beyond "Right" which is still a work in progress... things are always turning, mulling things over. :)

Rob
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone still out there? Or are you all overcome by the announcement of S7???

Rob
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rob

NO. We're busy pretending that we have a life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am contemplating whether to try my hand at a fanfic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    I am contemplating whether to try my hand at a fanfic.

Well, if you're so moved, we'd appreciate it! and please, a reasonably happy post S6 resolution.....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, if you're so moved, we'd appreciate it! and please, a reasonably happy post S6 resolution.....:)

Thanks for the encouragement, NewPark, but I wouldn't undertake anything that ambitious straight out of the gate. Most of my ideas are centered in and around S5. And I should really have kept the thought to myself, as it is unlikely that I'll ever have any time to write within the next 5 years. :(
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rob

Perhaps we are coming down from the "high" after the long two year wait before S6 was presented. My opinion: it was an exceptionally good series, well written and, of course, great acting. So, give us some time to linger awhile longer on S6!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Now imagine the phone call:

Martin: Hello, Caroline? It’s Martin.
    Caroline: Oh hi, Martin. (yawns) Sorry, been up at all hours for the shoot.
    M: Yeah. Sorry about calling so late. How is the thing going?
    C: Oh, you know, lots of fourteen hour days, and cold as the dickens up here. The usual – fog, cold, rain, as bad as that forest!
    M: Typical of the rotten business we’re in, right? Sorry to call, but I wanted to speak with you. Is this a bad time?
    C: No, no. The kids just got to sleep and Michael is reading a book.
    M: Ah, yes, well… here’s the thing.
    C: Oh… you did say that they weren’t sure; ITV, I mean.
    M: Yeah, well they’ve hashed it over and it seems, well they don’t think Series 6 was quite good enough.
    C: But, but the ratings are just as good as… Damn.
    M: Yeah, well Philippa and I are just heart-broken about it – went back and forth with the telly folk. Argued ’til we were blue in the face. Bad news I’m afraid.
    C: Well, fine… we’ve had a pretty good run. But you know, I’m getting mobbed in the market. One old biddy practically hit me she was so mad. How can you leave him, she yelled.
    M: Had a bit of that myself. But Caroline… we really appreciate all you’ve done.
    C: Thanks Martin, it has been fun; really, but we’ve left them in a terrible spot haven’t we?
    M: True, true. Lost in the stars.
    C: It won’t be (sniffs) ever the same will it?
    M: A time to live; a time to die. No. But there is one thing more…
    C: Yeah?
    M: They did say that there is one thing we might do, you can do.
    C: (Sighs) Yeah?
    M: I need you to check your schedule…
    C: Okay... for when?
    M: Let me see, I’ve got it here somewhere. Oh yes, keep your schedule open from March the first to end of July 2015. Seems we’ll have to spending just a teeny more time together… in Port Isaac. They HAVE commissioned it!
    C: OOOhhh! You rat, you really had me going!!
    M: (chuckles) Got you! (laughs aloud)
    C: Wow! Wow! That’s just great! (yells) Hey Michael, we’re on for Series 7!!!

Funny :p
This discussion has been closed.