Options

Breakfast, lunch and dinner or breakfast, dinner and tea?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Well, of course it's:
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner
    Supper (late dinner)

I'm not a savage.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Only in certain schools it seems.
    Are they called something else these days then? I guess things may have changed since 1997!
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they called something else these days then? I guess things may have changed since 1997!

We used to call them lunch ladies when I was at school and the jobs are often advertised with the job title "catering assistant" these days.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, how snooty some posters on this thread are. Just because I won't be goaded into saying it's lunch and dinner. It might be to some but to me it's dinner and tea, always has been and always will be. Neither way is right or wrong (although I suspect certain lunch and dinner posters will insist otherwise).

I had a working class upbringing in Leeds, I say dinner and tea. I would never hold a 'dinner party', if people come round they come for their tea or just for something to eat. When I eat in a restaurant I generally trust that the menu I'm handed by the waiting staff is the correct one for whatever time of day (I may be northern but I am not stupid Debrajoan so go and be patronising to someone else). When I make a reservation I ask for a table at the time I wish to eat, the name of the meal is not mentioned.

I'm off out now, need to get some things in for tonight's tea and need to be back before dinner! :p

I wasn't patronising you, you berk, and if you take another look at my post, (No 108), you'll know that I wasn't, that's if you are not stupid, as you claim not to be.
    You originally said, probably due to your northern affiliation, that to you, a meal at midday is dinner.
    I merely pointed out that if you went into a restaurant at midday you'd have to order from the LUNCH menu.
    Even in a backwoods, out in the boonies place like Leeds, the restaurants know that at midday, civilised people eat lunch.
    It might be dinner time in your northern head, but the restaurant would be serving lunch.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The tea I have is what I drink.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I wasn't patronising you, you berk, and if you take another look at my post, (No 108), you'll know that I wasn't, that's if you are not stupid, as you claim not to be.
    You originally said, probably due to your northern affiliation, that to you, a meal at midday is dinner.
    I merely pointed out that if you went into a restaurant at midday you'd have to order from the LUNCH menu.
    Even in a backwoods, out in the boonies place like Leeds, the restaurants know that at midday, civilised people eat lunch.
    It might be dinner time in your northern head, but the restaurant would be serving lunch.

What is that I smell?, Sniff, Sniff, Sniff, Sniff,
    Got it! It's blue touch paper, STAND BACK!
  • Options
    elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Supper if it's after 9pm

Tea is a hot drink.
  • Options
    FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner

Although on Saturday its brunch and dinner maybe supper
    Sundays is breakfast lunch and tea
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although I'm in the breakfast-dinner-tea camp it does depend on what I'm eating

If I just had a sandwich at midday I'd call it 'lunch' because dinner has to be a proper meal
  • Options
    breakofdawnbreakofdawn Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Before I went to university it was breakfast, dinner, supper. Since I've moved away (though I have since moved back in which confuses my family now), I started calling them breakfast, lunch, dinner.

I just think it sounds nicer, and makes more sense to me, dinner generally being the biggest meal of the day which is usually in the evening rather than between 12-2..

Also I just don't like the word supper, but can't bring myself to call it tea. I don't like either of those terms and don't have a reason for my dislike.
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have nutritional supplements one, two and three.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Supper if it's after 9pm

Tea is a hot drink.

It is also an evening meal.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I can't believe some people are forgetting elevenses. >:(

Heathens. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    breakfast, lunch, dinner.

confuses the hell out of me when people talk about dinner / dinner time at lunch time.

also confuses me when people talk about tea when they mean dinner, I always think they're asking for a cuppa.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    This must be the 167th time we've done this.

Mine is:
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Tea (as in bread-and-jam and some cake at 4:30pm)
    Supper (main evening meal).

I have the tea meal every day - it's a bit of me-time before o/h gets home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now - breakfast lunch dinner (& supper).

But when i was a kid it was always
    breakfast
    dinner
    and tea (had Sunday dinner at home and dinner at the weekends & had tea at home / went out for tea).
    Never used to say going out for dinner then (probably because we rarely did it).

So now
    Breakfast
    Lunch (quite new)
    Dinner (going out for)
    & Supper (at home).

Funny and strange how things or habits change.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Supper
    and
    Dinner on occasions, instead of supper, when going out for formal evening meal, or dinner party at home
    Tea was the early evening light meal I gave the children, before they were old enough to stay up for supper.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    That thread on whether midnight is the start of the next day or the end of the previous day has reminded me of the somewhat contentious topic, going by how it has gone down on here before, of the naming of the three main meals in a typical day.

It's been a while since we last attempted to settle this pressing issue so I feel it's time for the next round. :D

Do you say breakfast, dinner and tea or is it breakfast, lunch and dinner? Or even breakfast, lunch and tea? Maybe you can't quite make up your mind?

I'm in the "breakfast, dinner and tea" camp myself.

Breakfast/lunch/(dinner or supper).

Brunch is between breakfast and lunch.

Tea is between lunch and supper, as in tea time.

For me, but there are variations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supper
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_%28meal%29
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, dinner and tea. I grew up with those terms because you have your dinner at dinner time and tea at teatime so it's just confusing when people say they're having their lunch at dinner time and dinner at teatime, it's pointless confusion.

This confuses me too. I have my lunch at lunchtime usually about 1pm. How's that dinner time?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a kid (when home):
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Supper (when dining at home)
    Dinner (when dining out)

As a kid (when boarding at school):
    Breakfast (7:30AM) Edit: my memory is bad. I think it's actually 7AM? No idea.
    Elevenses (11AM)
    Dinner (lunch) (1PM-2PM)
    Tea (weekends only) (5PM)
    Supper - 6PM (week days) or 7:30PM (weekends)

Now:
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Supper (when the meal is light)
    Dinner (when the meal is heavy)
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    breakfast
    lunch
    tea
  • Options