FFS Could Nicky have been any more over-marked?

124»

Comments

• HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The routine was truly great and he caught the feel of it very well and kept up with the fast pace, but at times he looked kind of weirdly hunched. I enjoyed it and am pleased for them with the good marks but I didn't think it was all that good.

With the Mask dance and this one, it suited him because he doesn't have to worry about his posture, which is dreadful.
  • Chris_ChampionChris_Champion Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    Karen will toe the party line about how wonderful it was.

Karen lost all credibility last year when she said what a dangerous and difficult piece of choreography it was for Harry to unroll Aliona like a piece of loo roll. Something I do quite easily several times a day who knew I was tackling such difficult things with such aplomb

LOL :D

She prob will, there all under the wonderful BBC contract and need there yearly pay cheque
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    serafimo wrote: »
    I wasn't even watching Nicky, I was so flabbergasted that a "professional" dancer could be as bad as bad as Karen was. I wanted to give her a chance when she joined, but it's beyond a joke now.

I'm still perplexed as to why you would swap a top pro like Katya for a poorish pro like Karen.

I would love to see how Katya would have dealt with Nicky . I bet she would be far stricter on him and in sorting out his posture and legs . I also bet Nicky would treat her with far more respect then he seems to have for Karen.
  • jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen it yet but, if indeed Nicky was overmarked, then I say about bloody time because, of those left, him and Michael are the only ones who hadn't been before last week.

If nothing else, let's have fairness and consistancy right across the board rather than for just the chosen few...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jiroos wrote: »
    I haven't seen it yet but, if indeed Nicky was overmarked, then I say about bloody time because, of those left, him and Michael are the only ones who hadn't been before last week.

If nothing else, let's have fairness and consistancy right across the board rather than for just the chosen few...

Indeed. The Charleston's function this series has been to make those who are bad/mediocre look good, and those who are good look better. There hasn't been a single one that hasn't drawn a large portion of DS viewers into a 'that should NEVER have got X marks' argument - and I include Denise's in that.

Nicky was about due a proper ridiculous overmarking, both as the recipient of B2 Bounce this week and because he's really been quite fairly treated on all other weeks.

I fully expect the couple performing Charleston next week to get exactly the same treatment following a series of rather dodgy marking incidents. If Dani and Kimberley both get it the week after that then we know there's a plot afoot to get them both into the final :D:D
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    I'm still perplexed as to why you would swap a top pro like Katya for a poorish pro like Karen.

I would love to see how Katya would have dealt with Nicky . I bet she would be far stricter on him and in sorting out his posture and legs . I also bet Nicky would treat her with far more respect then he seems to have for Karen.
    Or why anyone would swop out Lilia either. There is a female executive producer and personal resentment and jealousy is not out of the question. This wildcard factor is why many are more secure with male bosses. They say it on the radio phone-ins every so often.:D
    Katja would have been a good match in looks and temperament for Nicky too.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree- the fact that Craig scored this the same as Denise's dance last week is laughable

even more laughable is that Craig declared Denises charleston "the best charleston ever" so does that make Nickys "the best charleston ever" as well because he gave them the same score.......:confused::rolleyes:
  • serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or why anyone would swop out Lilia either. There is a female executive producer and personal resentment and jealousy is not out of the question. This wildcard factor is why many are more secure with male bosses. They say it on the radio phone-ins every so often.:D

:rolleyes: Can we stop assuming that women are only motivated by petty jealousy, please. Casual misogyny is not a good look on anyone, fyi.

There could be any number of reasons why Katya wasn't asked back this year. Maybe she was difficult to work with, or wanted more money & they couldn't reach a contract agreement, iirc she was getting married this year & maybe couldn't give them all the time they wanted her to, or she didn't like the work environment at Strictly... who knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicky was about due a proper ridiculous overmarking, both as the recipient of B2 Bounce this week and because he's really been quite fairly treated on all other weeks.

unfairly?:)
  • snogglewortsnogglewort Posts: 2,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    FFS Could Nicky have been any more over-marked?

Well, yeah - he could've got all 10's! :D :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable, thought the Judges were were being especially mean all night and then along comes Nicky and What the????

As opposed to almost every other week when the judges were being especially generous all night and then along comes Nicky and What the????

Having now seen Nicky & Karen's routine, I have the following comments to make:

In answer to the OP, what I do know is that Nicky's Charleston was not as overmarked as Denise's vastly over-rated last week effort. Any comparisons are totally down the judges being overtly generous last week and Craig's unrepresentative and nonsensical "best ever" comment. Though Denise danced it well, never was it worth three tens. Compare her routine to Nicky's - not a quarter as complicated and less than half the speed. Nicky deservedly got extra marks for making a credible attempt at an extremley difficult and content-filled routine. I have not rated Karen's choreography one bit this series but she really hit it out of the ballpark with this one.

Some DS'ers have said that Nicky's dance was no where near as good as Dani's this weekl and he did not deserve his place on the leaderboard. True, Dani was excellent but, again, who had the vastly more difficult routine? Additionally, had Nicky danced first, would people still be making this comparison and calling his dance "overmarked"? No, thought not.

For those who are making silly assumptions that the judges want to keep Nicky in because of his power to pull in the crowds for the tour, did they not realise Nicky was in Westlife when they placed him & Karen bottom of the leaderboard in Week 1 and joint second-bottom in Week 2? I wonder if they realised he was in Westlife when they kept him waiting till Week 6 before Craig gave him anything above a 6 and the rest anything above a 7?:confused::confused::confused:

Like I said, silly assumptions.

All in all, Nicky's Charleston was far more entertaining than Denise's which was highly overrated and left me cold. Nicky's made me smile in the same way as Lisa's cha cha. I said, before their dance on another thread that Nicky would make a decent fist of it being a character-driven dance. Admittedly, it was not technically perfect (he was very stiff in his top half and his flicks were not great) but look at the criticism Denise is getting on here FOR being technically perfect - can they really win??? To his credit though, Nicky totally grasped the feel of the Charleston, performed the dance exceptionally well and Team Karky's routine was the most entertaining on the night by a country mile. Under Karen's direction, Nicky's hard work, rightfully, paid off in spades.

Well done Nicky & Karen - keep up the good work!:D
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that I enjoyed it far more that Denise's over rated Charleston last week.

I agree.

I'm not a Nicky fan, but his dance felt more like my idea of what a Charleston should be. Denise's, for me, was too clinical and also the music spoilt it, in my opinion.

I did think they were both a bit overmarked, though.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    It was as untidy as a GPs handwriting, but it was well characterised and I thought I spotted the required swivelly feet. Maybe four 8s' worth for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His posture is terrible.

He gets away with it with a 'character' dance, ie Mask and Charleston but can't get away with it 'in hold'.
  • Chris_ChampionChris_Champion Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Heavenly wrote: »
    His posture is terrible.

He gets away with it with a 'character' dance, ie Mask and Charleston but can't get away with it 'in hold'.

I`m no expert on the tech side but posture did look awful but it was entertaining i suppose, 8 tops
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though I'm a Nicky supporter, he doesn't seem to stand very upright.

The way he holds his back reminds me of a boxer. What with his tight hamstrings, could it be that he has done loads of weight-training/boxing in the past?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching him again on ITT last night, posture is awful!
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jiroos wrote: »
    Though I'm a Nicky supporter, he doesn't seem to stand very upright.

The way he holds his back reminds me of a boxer. What with his tight hamstrings, could it be that he has done loads of weight-training/boxing in the past?

Give that man a prize!

His posture looks really good for boxing - I wouldn't argue with him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seRpTb3xd4I
  • ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I though 36 was fine. Anything from 32 to 36. A genuine Charleston.

And I don't even like him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Give that man a prize!

Think he should show this video to Craig, Len & Bruno just before he dances every week!!!
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Give that man a prize!

That explains quite a lot. :)
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a friend who is a bricklayer and he cant get clothes to fit him - shirts keep choking him. He has the same problem as Nicky but part of it is the amount of muscle he has across his upper back.