Options

Has ebay killed off the car boot sale?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
Forum Member
✭✭
How do you sell your unwanted stuff and old tat?

Does everyone just donate their stuff to the charity shops these days?

Comments

• Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to sell a lot on ebay but Postage costs put a lot of people off buying so I'm selective about what I sell on there now. Facebook selling pages have become really popular and I'm selling more stuff that way than on ebay lately, no fees no postage costs.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't think so, if I have a load of old tat to sell I take it down the car boot, easier, cheaper (no postage) and quicker at getting the money. The stuff I sell at car boot goes for 20p-£4 maybe so not worth sticking on EBay, if its worth more I would leave it to EBay
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We give everything to charity shops. It's a good way to give to charity if your income doesn't stretch to monthly donations and it's also hassle free - they even collect furniture. We had loads of unwanted stuff when we were moving house and donated it all, including some quite good furniture. We filled in a Gift Aid form to boost the donations, and they wrote to us to tell us how much money they'd made - they made about £500 in total from all the stuff we donated.

There are several very popular car boot sales around here though, so the car boot sale is definitely still alive and well on the south coast.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    You're kidding, I BUY from ebay to SELL at car boots :)

Ok only stuff I can get as last bid for under a couple of quid but it shifts and I usually make a few bob extra to my own tat.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still a lot of car boot sales around but people don't want to pay much for things so you have to wonder if it is worth the effort. When I was moving and had a clearout, a lot of stuff went to the local Cancer Research charity shop round the corner and the decent furniture and electricals to the British Heart Foundation, who collect.To me it was the least hassle option, all gone in one morning and helping two worthwhile causes.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also has killed of mainstream auction rooms , I have just used Gumtree to shift a load of stuff for all around £20 an item.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No no I wouldn't say so.

Plenty of car boot sales that still exist in villages on the outskirts of the city that I live that are held every Sunday (in the summer at least).
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since eBay started taking 10% of sellers postage costs it's made many sellers think carefully about 1) the value of the item they're selling, 2) the cost of posting it and 3) whether to simply offer 'free postage' instead.

A lot do charge excessively high postal fees, eg, an identical item to which i'm about to sell, one is currently on ebay now with postal fees of £18. I've priced mine up using 2 day Courier, trackable and fully insured at just £8.53.

Ebay won't ever 'kill off' Car boot selling. The one big negative with Car Boots though is the dross they attract.....folk trying it on offering 50 pence for something obviously worth ten times that.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Since eBay started taking 10% of sellers postage costs it's made many sellers think carefully about 1) the value of the item they're selling, 2) the cost of posting it and 3) whether to simply offer 'free postage' instead.

A lot do charge excessively high postal fees, eg, an identical item to which i'm about to sell, one is currently on ebay now with postal fees of £18. I've priced mine up using 2 day Courier, trackable and fully insured at just £8.53.

Ebay won't ever 'kill off' Car boot selling. The one big negative with Car Boots though is the dross they attract.....folk trying it on offering 50 pence for something obviously worth ten times that.

I don't think E,Bay is killing off Car Boots, E.bay are slowly killing themselves with ever increasing charges including now 10% on postage, free postage has to be included in the selling price of the item. E.Bay are becoming too greedy.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 2 huge car boots in York, and probably smaller ones round and about. We got 12 original 1801 hand-coloured fashion prints, at one recently (the man thought they were just 70s' repros but... they weren't).

They seem to be thriving - especially when it's sunny. I don't eBay much at all any more. I used to but as others say, the postage got ridiculous.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I give to charity shops but buy from car boots and facebook selling pages.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to sell a lot on ebay but Postage costs put a lot of people off buying so I'm selective about what I sell on there now. Facebook selling pages have become really popular and I'm selling more stuff that way than on ebay lately, no fees no postage costs.
    How does that work netcurtains?

Never heard of em :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I don't think E,Bay is killing off Car Boots, E.bay are slowly killing themselves with ever increasing charges including now 10% on postage, free postage has to be included in the selling price of the item. E.Bay are becoming too greedy.
    I'm confused why you'd write what i'd already said then use my post as a quote. :confused:
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Since eBay started taking 10% of sellers postage costs it's made many sellers think carefully.....

Ebay won't ever 'kill off' Car boot selling.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are still numerous carboot sales (usually on Sundays) near to where I live.

I quite enjoy going to them sometimes lol there actually used to be an amazing one at Edinburgh Airport but its since moved and I'm not sure where to.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always amazed at what will and won't sell at car boots and on Ebay. People do seem to gravitate to junk.

The days of a feeding frenzy at car boots are over IMO. I think Ebay bears some responsibility, but so do supermarkets and pound stores. Basically it's down to the tidal wave of Chinese tat.

No one is actively selling anything any more. We don't walk in to stores and get talking to someone who knows product. We pick off the shelf based mostly on the price and the little bit of info on the shelf label. It's catalogue shopping. Sad really but I guess a sign of the times. The knock on effect is seen at the car boots. There's a lot of cheap supermarket junk people try to offload. It swamps the rare gems of something decent.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    We have a car boot sale not far from us (Sedgefield Racecourse) on a Thursday and Sunday. It's a massive one and always heaving. I have sold a few things in eBay, but I just find it a hassle going to the post office :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always amazed at what will and won't sell at car boots and on Ebay. People do seem to gravitate to junk.
    I once had a mass clear out of junk in my Garage. Just slung it all in my trailer and was about to go straight to the local incinerator.......until i decided to 'car boot' it first, then take whatever was left to the dump.

I came home with just over a hundred quid! :o:D
    The days of a feeding frenzy at car boots are over IMO.
    I think serious unemployment and job instability has had a lot to do with this. Where folk would part with a fiver for something in the past, they now consider anything more than a quid as 'expensive'!
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    How does that work netcurtains?

Never heard of em :blush:

Just search the term 'selling' for your area and lots of groups should pop up, join the groups, upload a photo, type in details and price and hey presto you get inundated with offers. I sold a load of remote control cars recently that my son no longer plays with, each buyer popped round, paid cash. No postage costs for them and no fees for me. Fabulous!

Postage would have been £5.60 plus packaging for each one due to RM's rocketing prices, buyers on ebay just aren't willing to fork out that much postage for second hand stuff. Facebook is becoming a great place to sell.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just search the term 'selling' for your area and lots of groups should pop up, join the groups, upload a photo, type in details and price and hey presto you get inundated with offers. I sold a load of remote control cars recently that my son no longer plays with, each buyer popped round, paid cash. No postage costs for them and no fees for me. Fabulous!

Postage would have been £5.60 plus packaging for each one due to RM's rocketing prices, buyers on ebay just aren't willing to fork out that much postage for second hand stuff. Facebook is becoming a great place to sell.
    TY sooo much for that :cool:

I've been watching this thread and hoping you'd pop back :D

I'm going to check it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just search the term 'selling' for your area and lots of groups should pop up, join the groups, upload a photo, type in details and price and hey presto you get inundated with offers.
    Just had a look as i rarely use Facebook.

The one really annoying problem with Facebook is you have to retype an entire search name every time you want to make just a slight change.

Gumtree is much easier and i've sold lots on there....even sold a car once which sold just 4 hours after uploading the ad.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Given the choice I think car boots are the best way to sell your stuff. Ok it means getting up really early in all weathers. But at least you are pretty much guaranteed to sell what stuff you have.

My daughter has put lots of stuff for sale on Facebook and Gumtree to be asked whats the lowest you will take???? what area are you from?? (even when it on the advert)..can you deliver?? Then when they say yes they want it your sat in for hours waiting for them to come for the item and they don't bother turning up. Then you will email them or text to ask do they still want it and you just get ignored.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ebay is evil.
  • Options
    lizbetlizbet Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I think if you'd like to sell maybe more expensive clothes or new items that don't cost much to post then ebay in my experience has been better. Yes you have postage but you have a wider audience usually willing to bid. Car boots are good if you have a local one and it doesn't cost much for your stance, but the closest big car boot sale to me is 25 miles away, so add petrol to your costs and I think, £10 to £12 for your stance and you would need to make a decent amount even to break even.

I went with my neighbour once to the big one, we had lots of new stuff, and she had goods from a shop she used to have and everyone wanted stuff for 50 p or 10p:o:o…it was ridiculous. I know we all like a bargain and having a go at asking for something a bit cheaper is what its all about, but we honestly felt people were taking the mick so to speak. We ended up taking some stuff back home and putting the rest to the charity shop. So for me I think people are more happy to spend a bit more on ebay so I usually stick to that these days. I will say the one thing the car boots are good for is the banter you get with other people though, we always had a brilliant laugh even if we didn't make any money :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    My daughter has put lots of stuff for sale on Facebook and Gumtree to be asked whats the lowest you will take???? what area are you from?? (even when it's on the advert)..can you deliver??
    LOL yes i've had that too. Advertised a PC on Gumtree and received a text message at 1am, "got pc m8?" I ignore plonkers like that along with the numbskulls who cannot read!

The guy who bought the car i sold on Gumtree phoned me. Lived 30 miles away, turned up, looked it over and made a cash offer straight off. I insisted he went for a drive in it first but he was more than happy with what he saw.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ebay killed the car boot star

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far

Oh-a-aho oh,
    Oh-a-aho oh