Hanging onto life.

In another thread, a FM referred to life ending "earlier than it could have lasted to".

This got me thinking about hanging onto life, when it is no longer enjoyable.

Of course it is already true that, thanks to medical intervention, people can continue to live beyond the point at which nature would've normally taken its course, but I'm not implying that people shouldn't be allowed to use medicine to defy nature.

What I am, however, wondering is, would you want to have your life artificially preserved, if you were in constant, incurable, pain, permanently drugged into oblivion, or otherwise beyond further treatment?

Comments

• Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    Nope, that is why I think that Advance Statements are so important. Its just unfortunate that that we do not have legalised euthanasia in this country.
  • BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a simple one. No! No! No! It is the only humane answer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandmother had a friend who had breast cancer. Even she said, which is quite out of character for my grandmother that her friend needn't to stop concentrating on fighting and start concentrating on dying. At some point its best just to accept fate and start dying rather then fighting for every second.
  • HAZYWOMANHAZYWOMAN Posts: 4,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In another thread, a FM referred to life ending "earlier than it could have lasted to".

Of course it is already true that, thanks to medical intervention, people can continue to live beyond the point at which nature would've normally taken its course, but I'm not implying that people shouldn't be allowed to use medicine to defy nature.

What I am, however, wondering is, would you want to have your life artificially preserved, if you were in constant, incurable, pain, permanently drugged into oblivion, or otherwise beyond further treatment?

I would not want to hang around tbh..
    My family know.. to turn off any machines..
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no intention of dieing,

www.alcor.org have my life insurance details... hopefully it will work. If it doesn't, I'll never know about it, if it does, heeello infinity!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    if it does, heeello infinity!

Infinity?

Are you intending to be taken a long way away, until you are beyond view?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Infinity?

Are you intending to be taken a long way away, until you are beyond view?

Not quite. Infinite life, the chance to experience everything I want to, was what I had in mind :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most definetly not, I cannot think of anything worse, it,s about time the laws on euthinasia were revised.
    As has probably been pointed out many times before, we have our pets put to sleep to stop them suffering unnessecarily but the law won,t allow prople do die peacefully and with dignity. It,s a farce.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilly16 wrote: »
    Most definetly not, I cannot think of anything worse, it,s about time the laws on euthinasia were revised.
    As has probably been pointed out many times before, we have our pets put to sleep to stop them suffering unnessecarily but the law won,t allow prople do die peacefully and with dignity. It,s a farce.

The law is a lot more complex when putting a human to sleep, which is a much more complex animal than a pet, and rightly so. Such things should not be taken lightly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The law is a lot more complex when putting a human to sleep, which is a much more complex animal than a pet, and rightly so. Such things should not be taken lightly.

I agree the law is more complex regarding humans but I still think if you are of sound mind, the choice should be up to the individual and I,m sure it would not be one taken lightly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree the law is more complex regarding humans but I still think if you are of sound mind, the choice should be up to the individual and I,m sure it would not be one taken lightly.

But who is to say that human is in a sound frame of mind? There are a million teenage girls who say "i want to die" after being dumped - human life is sacred - there are a few countries that have more liberal euthanasia laws than the UK, such as Switzerland - and if they are determined, they will go there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    human life is sacred

Says who?

Religion?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says who?

Religion?

God no. Religion is a human concept, and complete nonsense.

Infact I despise religion and love nothing more than ripping apart the people who have such superstitious beliefs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God no. Religion is a human concept, and complete nonsense.

In fact I despise religion and love nothing more than ripping apart the people who have such superstitious beliefs.

So who says life is sacred?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who says life is sacred?

Me, as a humanist. We only get one, and I for one don't want to waste it. Infact, I'm not just a humanist, I'm a Transhumanist, hence the contract with Alcor.org.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But who is to say that human is in a sound frame of mind? There are a million teenage girls who say "i want to die" after being dumped - human life is sacred - there are a few countries that have more liberal euthanasia laws than the UK, such as Switzerland - and if they are determined, they will go there.

Obviously I wasn,t refering to teenage girls who have been dumped. I think people who are terminally ill and there future is going to be a painful, undignified living hell, then they should have a choice.
    I know if it was someone close to me I would much rather they slipped away peacefully than have to watch them suffer for months on end, something which I have had to do in the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously I wasn,t refering to teenage girls who have been dumped. I think people who are terminally ill and there future is going to be a painful, undignified living hell, then they should have a choice.
    I know if it was someone close to me I would much rather they slipped away peacefully than have to watch them suffer for months on end, something which I have had to do in the past.

I don't think it should be made too easy for people to end their own lives, it should be hard, and legally complex, even if it means traveling to Switzerland. Only the most determined should be able to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it should be made too easy for people to end their own lives, it should be hard, and legally complex, even if it means traveling to Switzerland. Only the most determined should be able to do it.

I agree in the fact that people shouldn,t be allowed to end their lives too easily and especially without good cause.
    But I think people who are terminally ill and have no quaility of life whatsover shouldn,t have a legal battle on their hands to fight for the right to end intolerable suffering.

It,s definetly not black and white subject though:)
  • 1/2Man1/2Amazin1/2Man1/2Amazin Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    You hang on to life as much as you can. Giving in is the easy option, therefore it shouldnt be an option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcor.org <- this is where i'm going when i'm close to death ... and i'll try to convince any of my loved ones to do the same... i'm only 28 .. so plenty of time, and they don't take me seriously... yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You hang on to life as much as you can. Giving in is the easy option, therefore it shouldnt be an option.

So you really believe that someone who has an incurable illness, is going to have slow, painful death shouldn,t have the right to say "enough is enough" and be allowed to die peacefully?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giving in is the easy option, therefore it shouldnt be an option.

I thought medicine and medical people were supposed to make your situation easier?

Therefore, shouldn't they provide you with the "easy option", if there is no hope of improvement?
  • daisyboodaisyboo Posts: 11,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have decided that i shall die by my own hand when i reach 60. there are only a few factors that will stop me doing this

1. one or both parents are still alive - i shall then wait till after their passing
    2. i have a spouse/partner at this time - i shall then wait till after their passing
    3. i have a dog at this time - i shall then wait till after their passing

judge me as you will ...
  • sw16sw16 Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisyboo wrote: »
    i have decided that i shall die by my own hand when i reach 60. there are only a few factors that will stop me doing this

1. one or both parents are still alive - i shall then wait till after their passing
    2. i have a spouse/partner at this time - i shall then wait till after their passing
    3. i have a dog at this time - i shall then wait till after their passing

judge me as you will ...

60 is quite young nowadays

I know of people in their 80s who are still independant, healthy and happy

How old are you now?
  • padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    My mother had a stroke last year and is frightened of what might happen to her if she has another. She's only 62 and is fully active and she is worried that another stroke might leave her unable to function or unable to communicate. She told me recently if she was that severely incapacitated she wouldn't want to live and I respect her decision. It worries me that doctors (or lawyers) might try and stop me from carrying out her wishes in those circumstances, and it worries me that I might end up in a position where I have to 'pull the plug' earlier than would be usual in order to fulfil her wishes, in the knowledge that something might change.. It's a very difficult situation to even think about but it's her wishes that matter to me so if it ever comes to that day I'll argue for what she says she wants.

p.