Wii U....What are your first impressions?

cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
Forum Member
I'm trying to decide whether to get one or not. I've bought every Nintendo console since the snes but to be honest I'm struggling to get excited about the Wii U (until a Zelda title comes along of course).

I haven't used my Wii for quite a while now - no particular reason. Just find myself using the PS3 for most of my gaming needs.

So, Wii U owners, what are your first impressions. Good or bad. :)

Comments

• MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoying it so far - everything went without a hitch...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes was round my friends and we did hers, the update took about an hour but well worth it as all online functionality is now working.

Anyone else got a rattle on the gamepad, when its shaken slightly you can hear a rattling.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoying it.

I love Nintendoland :)

Can't wait for Pikmin 3!

I enjoy the interfacing between the gamepad and the television. Miiverse is fun.

It's a very "social" console.
  • Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good console and the gamepad as well working between the two, Once the setup is done and out of the way it is a joy to use. It formatted my external usb drive 293GB which is powered by the console through the two USB ports at the back as it is a Y usb cable and it was so uncomplicated the whole process. The only downside is there is no Optical out for audio equipment but I am getting a new TV soon which has an Optical out on the back so will run the HDMI cable through the TV and output through that.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    The only downside is there is no Optical out for audio equipment but I am getting a new TV soon which has an Optical out on the back so will run the HDMI cable through the TV and output through that.

Be prepared to be dissapointed as you still won't be able to get 5.1 surround as there's no bitstream, also most TVs don't have 5.1 passthrough so the best you'll likely to get is pro-logic.
  • Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Be prepared to be dissapointed as you still won't be able to get 5.1 surround as there's no bitstream, also most TVs don't have 5.1 passthrough so the best you'll likely to get is pro-logic.

do you have to have a new receiver that have the hdmi connections on them for that to work then?
    Forum Member
    do you have to have a new receiver that have the hdmi connections on them for that to work then?

WiiU uses analogue stereo(tv speakers)or LPCM 5.1 via HDMI.
    So if you want 5.1 surround you'll need a system that has HDMI (also maybe possible if you pay out for a HDMI to 5.1 analogue converter if your current amp has 5.1 analogue inputs.Though I'm not 100% sure if this method would work or not)
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not had a chance to play much but first impressions are good.

Just tried Nintendoland and enjoyed what I played. Really liked it when other players from the Miiverse appeared...as it really felt like you were wondering around a theme park with loads of living,breathing people (such a shame Nintendo didn't go that extra step and have online play within the "rides" themselves).

I also love the little things like being able to change tv inputs,turn your tv off and control your sky box all with the gamepad(add a record button and it would be perfect. Looking forward to when the full Nintendo tvii service starts ).

Excellent for web browsing as well (although flash would have been nice alongside the html5)..faster than my pc.

I also have to praise the sound/speakers on the gamepad. A really good quality surround effect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    After initially being a bit rubbish on it, I've discovered ZombiU is totally amazing.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how much Game are charging for the Premium pack in their high street stores, is it the same as online (£309.99)?

Thinking of buying one, spotted it on Amazon yesterday in stock for £299.99 but today its out of stock for the next 2-4 weeks.

ShopTo only seem to offer it in bundles with extra games and the only one that I would have gone for, Premium+New Super Mario Bros U, was out of stock. Strangely a lot of the other bundles are in stock.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    Really enjoying it so far - everything went without a hitch...

same here!!!!! :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutley loving my Wii U. Haven't got many games for it yet as I've got Christmas presents I need to get.

I find the Wii Menu a real let down. It only lets you play Wii games. Nothing else. WiiConnect24 has been completley removed, so in effect means you can't play Mario Kart Wii online, so I won't do the Wii transfer. I'm just going to pretend it has no backwards compatibility.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    I love it and i was massively skeptical, it really adds to batman for me, Zombi U is incredible and just neat little touches like a radio coming through the gamepad-Really, Really Impressed! :D
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoying Nintendoland. (Finally tried it for the first time today.)
    Don't let the style fool you, the single player attractions are challenging as hell - some of the hardest games Nintendo has made in recent years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got mine with Zombi U and Mario, but haven't played much of Zombi U, just addicted to Mario. I love Miiverse, the notes and being able to write or post about your experience on levels and the whole social side of it is great!
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really good, very interactive, a different kettle of fish once you do the update because i was a little under whelmed in the shop today, hence the unboxing, update and re-boxing hoping it would all go back together

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got mine ordered at ShopTo and hopefully it should be being delivered tomorrow. I've gone for the Wii Premium along with a copy of New Super Mario Bris U. I've also ordered a Wii U Pro Controller but no other games yet.

Had a quick look in Game near my work today, first time I've been in the shop in a long while, I've bought most of my consoles from the same shop over the years but was amazed at how expensive the things were compared to ShopTo. The Pro Controller that I've paid just under £37 for, was £50! It's sad considering I would prefer to buy my games/consoles from a high street shop but it makes no sense when you can save a small fortune online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    I've got mine ordered at ShopTo and hopefully it should be being delivered tomorrow. I've gone for the Wii Premium along with a copy of New Super Mario Bris U. I've also ordered a Wii U Pro Controller but no other games yet.

Had a quick look in Game near my work today, first time I've been in the shop in a long while, I've bought most of my consoles from the same shop over the years but was amazed at how expensive the things were compared to ShopTo. The Pro Controller that I've paid just under £37 for, was £50! It's sad considering I would prefer to buy my games/consoles from a high street shop but it makes no sense when you can save a small fortune online.

To be fair to game the bundle i got from them was

ZombieU premium edition + NSMB-U for £380 (£5 more than shopto) but they then sold me Epic Mickey 2 for £25 bring the total bundle cost to £405

Shopto on the other hand want £40 for Epic Mickey 2 and they have the ZombieU premium edition + NSMB-U for £375, so overall the shopto bundle would cost £415 (£10 more than game)

Not to mention the cradle, screen protector and stylus that game gave me for free

So in some circumstances game could be more expensive but not all the time
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Can you use the Wii Ethernet adaptor so you don't have to download this update wirelessly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Can you use the Wii Ethernet adaptor so you don't have to download this update wirelessly?

I used the LAN adapter no problems
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    That was the one I meant sorry, thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much potential in it I just hope it fullfils it and the 3rd party support doesnt dry up. Miiverse is so good and the gamepad use in Zombiu is brilliant (I havent played that much). Hope there are some big announcements tomorrow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my Wii U today and really wish I could give a decent first impression unfortuately the disc drive refuses to work. I put any game in no matter if its one of the two Wii U titles or any of my Wii titles, the drive attempts to read the disc for a few seconds but then stops with a bit of a clunk and comes up with 'Invalid Disc'.

Found several other people on other forums with the same problem and tried various suggestions such as unplugging the console for 30 minutes and even done a full reset but nothing works.

Going to contact ShopTo and possibly Nintendo to see what I should do to return it and get a replacement. :(
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my Wii U today and really wish I could give a decent first impression unfortuately the disc drive refuses to work. I put any game in no matter if its one of the two Wii U titles or any of my Wii titles, the drive attempts to read the disc for a few seconds but then stops with a bit of a clunk and comes up with 'Invalid Disc'.

Found several other people on other forums with the same problem and tried various suggestions such as unplugging the console for 30 minutes and even done a full reset but nothing works.

Going to contact ShopTo and possibly Nintendo to see what I should do to return it and get a replacement. :(

just check you are not in "wii" mode

sorry, you said you tried wii discs
    Forum Member

Just a thought, but have you installed the update?