Marvel's Ant-Man

Comments

• SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First proper teaser is out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8

I love Ant-Man, and hope they don't mess it up. From the trailer, it looks pretty decent. Nice special effects and the cast seems good from what we see. I would've like to see Hank Pym be the hero in this, but Scott will hopefully do just as nicely. This could be a big hit if they do it right, just like Guardians was.

Looking forward to the full trailer.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    ...so he does actually shrink and fly around on Ants. This is going to be quite different from the current setup.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    ...so he does actually shrink and fly around on Ants. This is going to be quite different from the current setup.

When the first Thor movie came along it was a quite different from what had gone before in the MCU. Mythology & other worldly fantasy.

When the fist Captain America came along it was quite different from what had gone before in the MCU. It was set in WW2.

When the first Guardians came along it was quite different from what had gone before in the MCU. A full on space based sci-fi adventure.

If there's one thing we should have all learned by now it's that there is no "current set up" in the MCU.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the teaser didn't really knock me out, but then again we should remember it is only a teaser.

The tone of the teaser seemed a little off...it starts very serious, but when we meet the title character he comes across as a reluctant hero, and there seems to be the suggestion there will be some humour arising from the situation. So this could be a very different film than the trailer suggests, maybe something closer to Guardians.

Anyway, we do get the 'money shot' of seeing Ant Man suited up and riding an ant.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I agree with Ted. I'm not blown away but it is only a teaser. I'll be going to see regardless as its a Marvel movie.

I know bugger all about Ant Man (I say that in every Marvel thread about a new superhero).

I look forward to it.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with RebelScum about there not being a "current set up" with Marvel, they try to do different stuff within the blockbuster arena that they are in. They take risks its easy to forget now what a risk Guardians of the Galaxy was and how many people wrote it off and thought they were bananas when Marvel first announced they were going to do it, and with future projects like Doctor strange (the one I'm most looking forward too) they are continuing in this direction of bringing new flavours to their output. Good for them creativity wise and good for the audience who like this stuff, I just hope a wide audience goes with it like they have so far.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Well the miniature stuff looked fun, but the rest just came across as business as usual.

I see this time Michael Douglas takes his turn as the creaky Hollywood icon thrown into the mix, probably as some sinister elder/corporate type (Bridges, Redford etc). Ho hum.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the miniature stuff looked fun, but the rest just came across as business as usual.

I see this time Michael Douglas takes his turn as the creaky Hollywood icon thrown into the mix, probably as some sinister elder/corporate type (Bridges, Redford etc). Ho hum.

No Michael Douglas is playing Hank Pym and I don't think he's playing the kind of character you're describing..
    I doubt that he's just thrown into the mix either as the character is very prominent in the comics.
    Forum Member
    I doubt that he's just thrown into the mix either as the character is very prominent in the comics.
    Didn't mean it that way - just the seemingly now standard practice of giving roles to old warhorses for the recognition value - and maybe a bit of the old charm or scenery-chewing, whatever.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't mean it that way - just the seemingly now standard practice of giving roles to old warhorses for the recognition value - and maybe a bit of the old charm or scenery-chewing, whatever.

I see what you mean. You could be right in that respect because apparently Michael Douglas as Hank Pym isn't the main character, which I know is disappointing to many Marvel comics fans who would have liked the focus on Hank Pym, so it could be seen as more of a cameo role.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I wonder if we will be getting a second trailer for Ant Man soon as it's only 5 months till it released.Although Marvel might leave it till before Avengers Age Of Ultron before releasing a new Ant Man trailer!

Although Marvel have published a two issue Ant Man prequel comic recently
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    Credible or not, a shrinking dude at least brings some fresh visual potential to be explored. Given the samey-ness that's started to creep into these Marvel spectacles it's most welcome.

I totally agree in the sense that were rotating a lot of the same big superheroes like Superman and Spiderman,yes their terrific but surely commercially and creatively its essential for them to introduce/try some new superheroes in order to add some fresh blood and new life to this genre.
    Forum Member
    I agree with you on that as I was disappointed that Marvel are doing another Spiderman reboot film as it pushed back all the new superhero films such as Black Panther,Captain Marvel and Inhumans

I would rather see Marvel push into new areas like they will be doing with Ant Man and Dr Strange than seeing the constant sequels and reboots of established superheros.I hope that Ant Man turns out to be a success like Guardians was when nobody expected it!
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    I agree with you on that as I was disappointed that Marvel are doing another Spiderman reboot film as it pushed back all the new superhero films such as Black Panther,Captain Marvel and Inhumans

I would rather see Marvel push into new areas like they will be doing with Ant Man and Dr Strange than seeing the constant sequels and reboots of established superheros.I hope that Ant Man turns out to be a success like Guardians was when nobody expected it!

I think its an issue in general that hollywood is facing but particularly in my opinion with the superhero genre,horror genre and films amenable to long franchises .They are tending to stick too much with whats worked well in the past.Creatively thats really stagnant and I really wish theyd make that leap of faith with something new in the superhero genre.

Im not sure if this is Marvel or even classed as a superhero but I really liked Elektra and I saw potential in it for sequels.
    However having said that I dont know the money statistics for it or whether it was a loss/disapointment to the studios.

However I do believe that the cinema going public are likely to reward their bravery if they push a new superhero made with high production values.
    Hollywood execs need to be intelligently brave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its an issue in general that hollywood is facing but particularly in my opinion with the superhero genre,horror genre and films amenable to long franchises .They are tending to stick too much with whats worked well in the past.Creatively thats really stagnant and I really wish theyd make that leap of faith with something new in the superhero genre.

I refer you to post #29. The fact some people were claiming Gurdians would be a flop, as they are now claiming Ant-Man will be, in itself indicates healthy diversity. In addition there's stuff like Kick Ass, and if that's all a bit too glossy there are numerous indie Superhero movies available.
    Forum Member
    Hildaonpulto for your information Elektra is Marvel as she is part of the Daredevil world.Marvel are launching a Daredevil TV show on the 10th April on Netflixbut as far as I know that Elektra isn't part of that.However it's safe to assume that she will be introduced on that show if it's a success which it looks like it will be!

In my option it seems to be the superhero fans who want the leap into new superhero films.However the general public are the ones who are wanting the constant sequels of established superhero like an Iron Man 4 which I think would be terrible if Marvel went down that route!
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THE ROTCOD wrote: »
    this i think might be mcu,s first flop

Marvel knows its audience, so I dont think it will be a flop.

Marvel has great form of turning B-list characters from its back catalogue into huge grossing films.

Seven years ago, nobody gave a stuff about Iron Man, yet IM is now arguably Marvel's biggest character.

Likewise, Guardians of the Galaxy was predicted to flop, yet it turned out to be one of 2014's best flims.
    Forum Member
    It just seems that people are hoping for Marvel to have their first flop and every unknown new superhero film is predicted to be a flop from now onwards!

Although the only upcoming Marvel film that I don't want to see at the moment is the Spiderman reboot!

Marvel just need to start hyping up Ant Man to make the general cinema audience aware that this film is coming out this summer!
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing $150-225 million US box office, anything less would be a flop by Marvel standards.
    Forum Member
    Hildaonpulto for your information Elektra is Marvel as she is part of the Daredevil world.Marvel are launching a Daredevil TV show on the 10th April on Netflixbut as far as I know that Elektra isn't part of that.However it's safe to assume that she will be introduced on that show if it's a success which it looks like it will be!

In my option it seems to be the superhero fans who want the leap into new superhero films.However the general public are the ones who are wanting the constant sequels of established superhero like an Iron Man 4 which I think would be terrible if Marvel went down that route!

Thank you very much for the info and I agree no Iron Man 4!
    Forum Member
    Likewise, Guardians of the Galaxy was predicted to flop, yet it turned out to be one of 2014's best flims.
    So we're to presume Ant-Man will similarly take us by surprise then?

Guardians seperated itself from the pack by some margin for this viewer.
    Forum Member
    One of the things that helped Guardians become the success it became was the choice of director.This however maybe the thing that doesn't help Ant Man after Edgar Wright left the film then a lot of Marvel fans lost faith in this film!

Im still hoping that it does suprise us though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the things that helped Guardians become the success it became was the choice of director.This however maybe the thing that doesn't help Ant Man after Edgar Wright left the film then a lot of Marvel fans lost faith in this film!

Im still hoping that it does suprise us though!

I'd say Guardians' success was for the most part down to following a formula that had previously proved to be a winner on Farscape. As for the Edgar Wright, the general public doesn't care, and it's them who bring in the big bucks.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I'd say Guardians' success was for the most part down to following a formula that had previously proved to be a winner on Farscape. As for the Edgar Wright, the general public doesn't care, and it's them who bring in the big bucks.

I love Farscape and agree that Guardians has the same feel as it, which is good to see (and Gunn has sais he's a Farscape fan) but if they purposely decided to follow Farscape's formula because they thought that would make it a big success then that is bold (or slightly mad) and deserves some credit, with all the best will in the world for Farscape it was a niche show that even a lot sci fi fans couldn't get on board with. it didn't have mass appeal but was the type of show to attract a solid enough viewing figures and a passionate following, and sadly got cancelled it doesn't really say hey be like me and success will follow.
    Forum Member
    Well I have never seen Farscape and it wasn't the reason why I watched Guardians.As the previous poster said that Farscape is a niche show that the majority of Guardians would not have seen!

I had seen most of James Gunn previous films,liked the cast and the potential shown in the trailers that made me excited to see Guardians

At the moment there is nothing like that building around Ant Man like there was around Guardians before it came out.However we have only seen one trailer for Ant Man so far and maybe the second trailer that I expect before Avengers Age Of Ultron will excite me more!