Options

How often do you shower?

Comments

• Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I shower religiously. Every single Sunday evening, whether I need it or not.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a bath every night when we were kids in the 70's. Nowadays, I have a shower and wash my hair every day, without fail. I had to go for a period of 5 days without washing my hair when I had my brain tumour op 6 years ago, and it drove me up the wall.

I was born in 1970 and I can't remember a time when we didn't have a bath every night. I remember having our first shower installed when I was in secondary school and being really excited about it.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    And every time this thread comes up, those who don't partake in washing daily always act so superior to those who do and make people who like a daily shower feel they're the ones doing something ridiculous

Really? Because if you scan through this thread it seems to be a case of people saying it's unnecessary to shower every day, and a medical professional said it's better for their skin if they don't vs people who say 'that's outrageous, you must stink'.

I personally shower daily, but I know it's not required. I don't get dry skin, so I'm lucky I can manage it, but I do notice if I have a particularly hot or long shower, my skin goes all pink and I don't think I'd get away with that every day.

I have the odd day at the weekend when I'll not shower, when I know I'm not going anywhere, just to give my skin a rest and because I know a bit of dirt won't hurt me.

I have friends who always have long, hot showers, then need to spend ages moisturising, and moan about having to do so. They are just too caught up in the hype generated by the shower gel manufacturers to consider a shorter shower, never mind skipping one!:o
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every day. I only wash my hair every other day though as it makes it incredibly fine and flyaway.

I couldn't go two days without having a shower - unless I was in bed with the flu, then I'm not going anywhere!
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every couple of days, but that's because I'm ill and stuck at home. When I was working I'd shower twice daily. Nowadays the exertion of having a shower can make me ill if I'm not careful so I don't shower every day.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I dont own a pair of trousers but, no, I wouldn't wear the same clothes twice without washing inbetween. I would wear jeans twice but no more than that

I used to work with a women who bring a full change of clothes into the office and then get changed at lunchtime as she thought it was "unhygienic" to wear the same clothes for more than 6 hours.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bath after work and slip into PJ's for dossing round the house. Why would someone put dirty clothes back on?

So you wear fresh PJs every day?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »

Not to mention if people wear a uniform for work they might not have more than 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »

Of course I do
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I do

Seems a bit ott, are you a very sweaty person?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a bit ott, are you a very sweaty person?

No, I barely sweat at all but I like feeling and being clean. The thought of not showering daily and putting dirty clothes back on makes me feel really cooty. Tbh, it's only on DS that I've ever heard anyone admit not showering and changing their clothes daily.
    I remember asking at work after a thread on here and not one person admitted to not showering daily. The only people who wore clothes more than once were men in suits but they still change their shirts and underwear daily.
    But, as I said further up, this subject always ends up with people who are really clean being spoken to like they are the ones who have a problem
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shower daily (although not my hair) but when I was in Debenhams I only had one uniform t-shirt so I had no choice but to wear it more than once as I usually worked 4-5 days in a row, then washed it at weekends ahead of the next week of shifts.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember asking at work after a thread on here and not one person admitted to not showering daily.

That's because it's not the sort of thing that people admit to when asked.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Maybe I have a sensitive nose but I can smell when someone hasn't had a shower that day. Even if they have sink-washed their bits and sprayed on the perfume/aftershave. I don't judge or think any less of them, it's their choice and they'll have their reasons. It's just something I'm aware of, and nothing more than that.

Oh I can relate to that. A friend showers regularly night and morning using one perfumed shower gel then another perfumed deodorant and yet another perfumed aftershave. Whenever he comes around i have to open all the window. Oh and don't get me started on bloody air fresheners, plug-in or spray. He has those too, I can't bear to be in his flat.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shower every day, unless I'm feeling a bit under the weather. As long as you wipe over the smelly bits, it's ok not to shower every day.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I dont think theres anything wrong with your hygiene regime but Im just wondering why your skin is ok to be washed everyday, but not showered everyday, whats the difference?

I shower everyday, because if I washed everyday like you describe it would take me ages to get ready, a shower is much quicker. I also like the water running down me.
    I was wondering exactly the same thing?................ And I agree it is so much qicker too jump in the shower!...... and it also wakes the body up much more than a wash at the sink does!, much nicer!.........

My mum said in the 70's people only got the bath a few times a week, is this true?

Oh boy!, was it different in those days!............ I am mainly referring to the 60's but it was definitely only one bath a week!... on a Sunday!, and then we used to share the bath water!...... poor ole dad was always the last one to have his bath so he had everyone else's dirty water!......:(.........

It wasn't until I was married and we moved to a house in a new city in the 70's that actually had central heating and you could walk about in the house with warmth in every room that and the children coming along that the bathroom got used so much more!......:D
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shower every morning and if I'm going out, then twice a day

Anybody who dosent shower once a day is a bit scummy I'm afraid
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im actually surprised that some tell they shower or bath so little... its horrible not to feel and be clean..
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every 2 days. Come at me bro
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every 2 days. Come at me bro

Lol. To be honest, I quite like the smell of my own funk just before I shower. (So does my OH!) :blush:
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every morning. Not missed a daily shower for years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    just once a week :D

But i do have a bath every night :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly VERY weird to launder a jumper that has only been on your body the short time from your morning shower till your evening shower.

How can it possibly be considered " dirty " ?

This cleanliness fetish is really a sort of mild lunacy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    That's because it's not the sort of thing that people admit to when asked.

But why not as, according to many on here, washing daily and wearing clean clothes each day means some sort of clean freakery so surely no one would be embarrassed to admit they don't wash every day if it's as normal as those on DS claim it is.
  • Options
    Matt_MaherMatt_Maher Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every other day.

I think it depends on each individual really. Some people need to shower every day because they either sweat a lot or they generally just start to smell even if they do barely sweat at all.
    Most people don't NEED to shower every day.