Options

Richard Chamberlain urges gay actors to hide their sexuality

waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1341935/I-wouldnt-advise-coming-Richard-Chamberlain-urges-gay-actors-hide-sexuality.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
It's not exactly harmed John Barrowman's career or Russell Tovey's,
Stupid statements like that make young gay people think that they will never be accepted,
He's not exactly a role model either, he hid in the closet for 60 years and made bad soaps and shitty mini-series. If he'd come out a bit sooner people might have thought he was remotely interesting - Tosser!

Comments

• Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    In my experience people will jump to conclusions about what reasons other people may have for treating them badly or for them not being succesful or well-liked because of their own personalities.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waz101 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1341935/I-wouldnt-advise-coming-Richard-Chamberlain-urges-gay-actors-hide-sexuality.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    Stupid statements like that make young gay people think that they will never be accepted,
    He's not exactly a role model either, he hid in the closet for 60 years and made bad soaps and shitty mini-series. If he'd come out a bit sooner people might have thought he was remotely interesting - Tosser!

I think Richard is referring to America rather than Britain. Britain is far more accepting of Gay Actors or Singers then America is. John Barrowman and Russell Tovey are not really sucessfull in the States.
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably is, horrible backward country, not sure I'll ever visit the USA again as they want me to pay £150 for a Visa! I'm apparently not eligible for the "Visa Waiver Program" as I was arrested (not charged or convicted?) once when I was 17!

Of the American Gay actors Luke Macfarlane & T.R Night are pretty successful, probably much more talented than Richard?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many Hollywood stars in the closet it's unreal. And, much like Cliff Richard, they will never officially come out because certain organisations will threaten them not to do so or they will pull their support.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes downto cliff, barry manilow and the likes, theres no need. Everybody knows.
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a complete moron. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Its a shame that Richard is still stuck in the past , Attitudes to gay people has changed a lot :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I was listening to Rupert Everett on the Today programme this morning and he was saying that gay actors/actresses in Hollywood shouldn't have to come out straight away, and that if didn't enjoy the gay scene so much he would've remained in the closet himself. He was saying that Hollywood people are very conservative which is surprising considering the sex/violence etc in some Hollywood movies.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    MadonnaMIX wrote: »
    Its a shame that Richard is still stuck in the past , Attitudes to gay people has changed a lot :)

In society in general maybe, but can you name any American film star of note who is openly gay? Is it statistically likely that so few Hollywood actors are gay? No, they are closeted for a reason, so Chamberlain is right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way Hollywood will change is by more and more stars coming out and showing that it's not something to be ashamed of.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    In society in general maybe, but can you name any American film star of note who is openly gay? Is it statistically likely that so few Hollywood actors are gay? No, they are closeted for a reason, so Chamberlain is right.

Neil Patrick Harris is massively successful in America, he even hosted the Oscars. And he plays a womanizing character on his TV series.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many inaccuracies there are in that article? Hmmn.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you even read the article? Because it's not sounding as if you did. He is talking about leading men actors not actors in general and he is speaking directly from his own experience. Time and place, he would never have had the success he had were he openly gay. This is fact and this is still the state of play in H/wood.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    "Come out, come out, wherever you are and meet the young lady, who fell from a star.
    She fell from the sky, she fell very far and Kansas, she says, is the name of the star"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neil Patrick Harris is massively successful in America, he even hosted the Oscars. And he plays a womanizing character on his TV series.

Well, I have to confess I had never heard of him and am reasonably film literate. According to Wiki (not always correct) he has never hosted the Oscars - the Emmys and Tonys. But I would venture he's not exactly a household name and if that's the best we can come up with re 'open' gay American actors them it pretty much makes my point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably is, horrible backward country

Yeah it's just America. I'm sure there are no closeted British actors who work exclusively in the UK. Right...ok. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I have to confess I had never heard of him and am reasonably film literate. According to Wiki (not always correct) he has never hosted the Oscars - the Emmys and Tonys. But I would venture he's not exactly a household name and if that's the best we can come up with re 'open' gay American actors them it pretty much makes my point.

He's in the hugely successful "How I Met Your Mother"...has enjoyed success on Broadway, recently appeared in Glee, was a guest judge on the last series of American Idol and somehow manages to be both a household name and a cult comedian in the US. He's also the main character in a popular, critically lauded internet sitcom written by Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly) which was hyped into oblivion by Time Magazine and received countless awards. This is all true regardless of whether you have heard of him or not.

...and I don't know which Wiki page you read exactly, but...

"He also hosted the 63rd Tony Awards on June 7, 2009,[2] and the 61st Primetime Emmy Awards on September 20, 2009. On March 7, 2010, he made a surprise appearance at the 82nd Academy Awards, delivering the opening musical number, and on August 21, 2010 he won two Emmy Awards at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremony. On December 11, 2010, Harris hosted Spike's Video Game Awards. He was named as one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people in 2010."

...and Doogie Howser????
  • Options
    lynn666lynn666 Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK is by far more gay friendly than the USA,one only gets the low down on stars after they die in the USA :)
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Ellen Degeneres, though more a presenter than an actress now, is still pretty successful (isn't she?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he needs to urge any American actors not to come out, they don't already!
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellen Degeneres, though more a presenter than an actress now, is still pretty successful (isn't she?)

Hugely successful but she's not selling an image - ie, she's not an actress nor, more specifically, a leading lady taking on hetero roles. Even in her own comedy shows, she was just herself. Her girlfriend Portia de Rossi is probably a better example since she was a successful TV actress before coming out (Ally McBeal, Arrested Development, Nip/Tuck etc.)... not sure how much work she's getting now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acting is about making the audience suspend their disbelief.
    Maybe they feel that the public won't believe the performance of a gay actor having marital problems with a wife in a movie or tv series if it's a self confessed gay actor that is starring?
    Maybe its perceived as something that would stand in the way of people losing themselves in the performance?
    I'd say that's more the reason than anything.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Somerhalder has done pretty well for himself in the mainstream, in a relatively short space of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's in the hugely successful "How I Met Your Mother"...has enjoyed success on Broadway, recently appeared in Glee, was a guest judge on the last series of American Idol and somehow manages to be both a household name and a cult comedian in the US. He's also the main character in a popular, critically lauded internet sitcom written by Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly) which was hyped into oblivion by Time Magazine and received countless awards. This is all true regardless of whether you have heard of him or not.

...and I don't know which Wiki page you read exactly, but...

"He also hosted the 63rd Tony Awards on June 7, 2009,[2] and the 61st Primetime Emmy Awards on September 20, 2009. On March 7, 2010, he made a surprise appearance at the 82nd Academy Awards, delivering the opening musical number, and on August 21, 2010 he won two Emmy Awards at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremony. On December 11, 2010, Harris hosted Spike's Video Game Awards. He was named as one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people in 2010."

I read the same Wiki page as you which clearly says he 'delivered the opening musical number' at the 2010 Oscars - this does not equate the hosting the show, the assertion I disagreed with. The 2010 Oscar show hosts were Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin, as a matter of fact.
    As for his cv - its all tv and Broadway credits. He is not a Hollywood star which is the topic addressed by this thread. Broadway theatre is far more accommodating of open homosexuality than Hollywood and most of us could name several if not many openly gay actors who have been very successful there. Not the same story in Hollywood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Acting is about making the audience suspend their disbelief.
    Maybe they feel that the public won't believe the performance of a gay actor having marital problems with a wife in a movie or tv series if it's a self confessed gay actor that is starring?
    Maybe its perceived as something that would stand in the way of people losing themselves in the performance?
    I'd say that's more the reason than anything.

Interesting interview on BBC3 or 4 over the holiday with Simon Russell Beale - a hugely successful (and brilliant) stage actor who has never made it in film. He has never hidden his (homo)sexuality and played a huge variety of parts but observed that they seldom involved 'getting the girl' - in other words, it's hard to land 'romantic leading man' parts if you are (openly?) gay.