Does anyone still use VHS tapes?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just got rid of the last of ours, barring a few documentary videos and one of myself as a nipper. Actually we got rid of most of them years ago, but then I decided to get more of the buggers. :D

Now we've got rid of those too, as well as the remaining ones from before. We managed to give them away which feels better than throwing them out.

Is anyone still clinging on to the old VCR? It seems a shame to think that there are probably millions of perfectly good units as well as tapes which have been sent to landfill.
    It wont be long before CD\DVD player\recorders go the same way
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    It wont be long before CD\DVD player\recorders go the same way

To be replaced by what?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    To be replaced by what?

Cloud media.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    To be replaced by what?

It's already happening.

There will come a time when the vast majority of us access our music, video etc. via various cloud storage mediums and streaming sites.

I don't think physical media will be here forever, but it will still last a long time though. It wont really be killed off completely until everyone has access to, and can afford, very high speed internet access at home, at work, via our mobile devices etc. And that is still many years away, maybe even another decade or more given our government have only fully committed to offering 2Mb to everyone by 2015 (or was it pushed back to 2017, can't remember).

The various restrictions in the form of DRM certainly don't help either, they make it much more difficult in fact and there's always the risk that you can lose everything you have paid for if a cloud service goes out of business, you change devices or your device suffers a catastrophic hardware failure as has happened in the past.

But it's likely there will always be some form of physical media, even if it is confined to niche markets or the second hand market eventually.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a combi about 7 years ago
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't used VHS since 2011. :o

Now, does anybody here still use Betamax? :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    I converted the contents of any tapes whose I wanted to keep to digital files years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I stream everything from a couple of servers in my house, so could easily do away with my BD player as it hardly ever gets used. I can't be arsed with non-skippable blu-rays where I have to sit through trailers and being forced to watch anti-piracy ads (kind of ironic given I have bought the disc), only then to be subjected to long loading times before getting into a plethora of menus. I now rip the disc to a 1080p format with a hd audio soundtrack and dump them on there, which can then be watched on every TV in the house in an instant and which remembers not just where I left off on one film, but every single one of them.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still use VHS for recording video and for music playback, I still have an ancient Philips n1502 that uses square tapes with the spools on top of each other.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    I got rid of my vhs in 2002, i started using dvds in 1999 and i'm fully digital media now as i've not brought a dvd since 2007.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    I got rid of my vhs in 2002, i started using dvds in 1999 and i'm fully digital media now as i've not brought a dvd since 2007.
    I didn't start using DVDs until about 2004 at the earliest.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't but I still have my Sharp VCR alongside my V+ box and my DVD recorder. I got rid of most of my VHS tapes but I still have a few, promo music videos etc. I used to have my Sony Handicam camcorder footage transferred to VHS tapes but I got my DVD recorder back around about 2007 and I digitised them onto DVD disks then.

Coincidentally, I saw blank VHS tapes, a set of 4 I think, on sale in a shop the other day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I don't but I still have my Sharp VCR alongside my V+ box and my DVD recorder. I got rid of most of my VHS tapes but I still have a few, promo music videos etc. I used to have my Sony Handicam camcorder footage transferred to VHS tapes but I got my DVD recorder back around about 2007 and I digitised them onto DVD disks then.

Coincidentally, I saw blank VHS tapes, a set of 4 I think, on sale in a shop the other day.
    My local Tesco store still sells blank VHS tapes for some reason. :confused:
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neeeeeeever gonna stop
    never ever gonna stop
    neeeeeeever gonna stop
    using them
    :D

still tape movies with them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    neeeeeeever gonna stop
    never ever gonna stop
    neeeeeeever gonna stop
    using them

still tape movies with them
    What will you do when VHS tapes stop being manufactured? :p
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I could have sworn I've seen a resurgence of blank VHS tapes being sold in shops over the last 6 months to a year or so. I think I might have seen some for sale in Wilkinsons, as well as Tesco and Asda. Blue Maxell ones, I think.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's already happening.

There will come a time when the vast majority of us access our music, video etc. via various cloud storage mediums and streaming sites.

I don't think physical media will be here forever, but it will still last a long time though. It wont really be killed off completely until everyone has access to, and can afford, very high speed internet access at home, at work, via our mobile devices etc. And that is still many years away, maybe even another decade or more given our government have only fully committed to offering 2Mb to everyone by 2015 (or was it pushed back to 2017, can't remember).

The various restrictions in the form of DRM certainly don't help either, they make it much more difficult in fact and there's always the risk that you can lose everything you have paid for if a cloud service goes out of business, you change devices or your device suffers a catastrophic hardware failure as has happened in the past.

But it's likely there will always be some form of physical media, even if it is confined to niche markets or the second hand market eventually.

I think they should start using flash drives for films/series etc. Discs take too long to load and scratch very easily. I'm hoping they start using these tiny storage drives though, it will mean much faster loading times. Just think, when a flash drive's capacity gets large enough the industry will then be able to place the complete 1- whatever series on it. They might even put AVI files on them, unless of course MP4 players start becoming a lot more popular. I think (and hope) solid state storage becomes the standard to store things on.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    Hello there NR :). Yes I have a VCR/DVD player and still keep all the old Disney films my girls loved growing up. Also for my old Buffy tapes if I'm feeling nostalgic. It's really not worth replacing them.

Hi Sofes, nice to see you back. :)

Funnily enough some of the tapes I just got rid of were old Disney films I watched as a kid. It was quite sad seeing them go but it's nice to have the extra storage space. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    VHS were so much better than DVDs. You could press stop, take it out and put it back in a week later and it would still be at the same place you left it.

I can do that on my Blu-Ray player. :D
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not , you can still buy new VHS video recorders
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Yep, still got mine, nearly 20 years old and still going strong!

I have some obscure made for TV films unavailable on DVD so I use it for that mainly.

Plus I love watching the old adverts lol bit of nostalgia and a good film :p

Same here although I need another lead to connect the video player up to the TV so it's not plugged in atm.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have any vhs tapes anymore, and have not had any of them for some time now - but, I do know people who are still using it to record from a sky box (older, sky box without the Plus recording feature), and just use it to record whats their seeing on the screen using One touch record button (which I always thought was a bit daft - recording what your seeing).
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What will you do when VHS tapes stop being manufactured? :p

I DON'T KNOW
    I HAVEN'T THOUGHT THAT FAR AHEAD
    LEAVE ME ALONE
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    I have a bit of an *ahem* VCR collection. Not so much now, but 1 or 2 years ago there was a spate of top quality VCR's hitting the shelves in our BHF. Most S-VHS like Panasonic NV-S200 and NV-HS960 in good nick for a tenner. They were >£500 new!

So encouraged by the nice machines I have been buying some charity films ('Phenomenon' tonight) and good they are too. The widecreen James Bond set...£10! Some still sealed. Records from FreeView just fine on some Fuji cassettes too.

You could say I am 'not with it' or 'slightly mad' but I'm happy and thats all that matters.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I have quite a few pre-recorded films and TV shows on VHS too, and two old VCRs to watch them on...mostly stuff that the inventory-holders haven't yet (maybe never will!) flashed onto DVD.