Options

Levi jeans

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What's happened to them?

There was once a time when they justified their high price by being of obvious high quality, but I've recently seen 501s and 511s made in material far inferior to that used on ones costing between £12 and £15 from George at Asda.

I doubt very much if they were fake, as they were on sale at Boundary Mills, which may sell horribly boring, old-fashioned clothing, but I'm sure they're always genuine. Those they had in stock really looked quite naff, as well as the material looking far too flimsy.

I believe my present pair of 501s were bought for me from Asos and are of a far superior quality. It makes me think that quality control has gone out of the window and that they are now being made by hundreds of different Far-East factories.

Comments

• Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    Not sure what Boundary Mills is, is it an outlet store? Because sometimes even though outlet stores claim that they sell last seasons stock, in addition they often get products specially made just for the outlets..

So maybe this is the case and that whilst they are Levi's they're not the same ones you would buy in one of their own stores but a cheaper version??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    It's true. If they are outlets then the products are usually made with cheaper materials, hence why they are able to sell them much cheaper than they would on the high street.

That way they are able to still have reasonable profit margin. They are selling us a dream.

Levi's are predominantly the only jeans I wear for comfort reasons and affordability.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have a few pairs of Levi's 511 jeans and they last me for ages and ages, so they justify the expensive price tag.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boundary Mills is an outlet store, but only sells high quality (although very conservative) brands. Surely, if their Levis are labelled as 501s and 511s they should be of the standard quality? The ones they sell look like cheap bootlegs, even if they aren't. The simple answer is not to buy them, but it's a shame, because Levis in this country are ridiculously expensive.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're all made in Guatemala now, aren't they? Was quite heartbroken when I ordered some stuff from the US and decided to treat myself to a 'genuine' pair of 501's only to see that on the label. :(
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what Boundary Mills is, is it an outlet store? Because sometimes even though outlet stores claim that they sell last seasons stock, in addition they often get products specially made just for the outlets..

So maybe this is the case and that whilst they are Levi's they're not the same ones you would buy in one of their own stores but a cheaper version??
    If I recall correctly, the only versions of 501 or 511 jeans that are deemed "lower quality" are the factory rejects sold in some outlet stores. These are easily identifiable because the Levi's red tag has been cut off the back pocket.