Wallandar

1161718192022»

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm rather a late-comer to Wallender having recorded series 1, saved it up for a rainy day to enjoy. Which I did and now I'm hooked.

I tried watching the K. Brannagh series, but didn't stick with it as I found his portrayal rather irritating.

I tried again with the recent repeats and viewed it as a separate entity from the Swedish series. I bet you've all discussed it a thousand times, but the Brannagh version is typical of British drama in that too much is focused on the personal angst which definitely 'in your face'.

Give me Swedish Wallender anyday!

You’ll fit right in here. Welcome...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I am not sure if I agree with making changes to the book. I don't really see why they find it necessary to make him move and aquire a dog. I do hope they don't go too far off script as I love the books and the series. Some decent TV coming at last!!!

living by the sea and the dog are in the last Wallander book..to be released in English in 2011. after saying it was deffo the last book, he let slip in an interview (on BBCI think it was) that he is planning another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quincyg wrote: »
    living by the sea and the dog are in the last Wallander book..to be released in English in 2011. after saying it was deffo the last book, he let slip in an interview (on BBCI think it was) that he is planning another.

Thanks for the info about a new book in 2011
    I posted earlier that I couldn't understand why they had introduced a new house and a dog into the story. I hadn't realised it was based on a new book and I was thinking of "Firewall" where a girl is found dead in an electricity sub station. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info about a new book in 2011
    I posted earlier that I couldn't understand why they had introduced a new house and a dog into the story. I hadn't realised it was based on a new book and I was thinking of "Firewall" where a girl is found dead in an electricity sub station. Thanks for clearing that up.

non of the new series are based on books either, just stories outlined by Mankell, which other writers than adapt for Mankell's final approval.

but the dog is in the last book Mankell wrote...as is Linda. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I think that must be a BBC website mistake (yes, that was the last episode of series 1) - my Sky guide for next Saturday has "Wallander has bought his dream house by the sea, but his peace is shattered when the town's power station blows up."YAY for Wallander coming back. I am really going to miss Linda and Stefan, but still, great news!

That's what Radio Times says too Elanor,
    The cast list says Kurt, Nyberg and Schwartmann and also Martinsson, who features in KBs version but also appeared in the first couple of this one if I remember rightly. It will be strange without Linda and Stefan........but strangely enough I spent the whole of the last series expecting Stefan to get shot.........just never thought he'd do it himself:( (never read the books, so don't know if that featured in them):D
    Looking forward to the new series anyway, came upon it by accident last year and it instantly went into my alltime top ten programmes. KBs version just isn't a patch on it for me I'm afraid:D.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there's a new thread for it, but I'm flagging here that a NEW series of Wallander started today on BBC4 - so this is for fans who may not follow DS's TV forum but will be alerted by this post.

I didn't know it was on so I've missed the start, but it's repeated on Thursday nights, do not despair :D

Mad Men is finishing soon - now there's something else to brighten our TV lives :)

parthena
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    I've been very much enjoying the current series of Wallander (the original Swedish one) on BBC4 with Krister Henriksson playing Kurt Wallander. I thought that last night's episode about the hold ups of the security vans was good.

In general, this series has been beautifully shot - all credit to the film crew there. Thing is, the southern Swedish port of Ystad where the books and dramas are set actually has a pretty low crime rate and the last murder was apparently some time in the 1990s! Nevertheless, the town is now benefitting from 'Wallander Tourism'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ystad

http://www.ystad.se/