Options

The Commonwealth Games Swimming Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Seem to recall I once had to deliver his BF's Aston Martin after engine was wrecked, and they both turned up at Garage.

Loving what your doing Mark and the rapport with Thorpe has made the swimming. Pity Inverdale the Imbicile arrived to put inane remarks into the dynamics.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that Mark Foster was gay as well.

And John Inverdale...I loathe him. I cannot stand the sight of him. It was great with Balding, Thorpe and Foster and then Inverdale turns up and ruins it.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    jalfrezi wrote: »
    Used to be able to perv over the women as well but those days are well gone with those God awful all-in-one swimsuits. :(

Never mind. :)

For me, the men gymnasts are also a pleasure to watch though.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have enjoyed having Ian Thorpe as a pundit - hope he is involved in the Olympics coverage.

Disappointing from Gemma today - she is capable of swimming much faster. Fran Halsall was clearly affected by the bug & worryingly Becky Adlington has also tweeted that she has it too but let's hope it's cleared up before her 800m final today. Congrats to James Goddard which for me is the best performance so far by any of the home nations swimmers but overall I am feeling a little deflated today. After such a good performance at the Europeans (which was not supposed to be the number 1 target) I am not sure the Commonwealths will be as successful as anticipated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though we have noone involved (Rep of Ire), I've enjoyed the swimming so far. Bless poor Fran-I thought she was going to pass out at the medal ceremony. I do feel sorry for the swimmers who sacrificed the Europeans a bit and then things haven't gone quite right for them here either because of the food or lack of atmosphere etc. At least Fran already has a gold and had a great Euros too. I'm guessing she would be due to compete in a few more events/relays?
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    why doesnt Ian Thorpe he just come out & admit he is gay!
    He's already admitted that he isn't.
    yeah & im the queen ;)

Just watching the highlights coverage on the BBC, I knew this subject would be covered in here.

I was merely wondering when watching if he had made any public announcement, as I had heard some rumours in the past. :confused:

I really don't care though, he will always be the greatest in the swimming pool, a legend, a unique swimmer who is so brilliant at his sport, and such a lovely guy. I always supported him, and was so pleased as he piled up his tally of Olympic, World and Commonwealth medals, plus the world records, don't forget them. :) Go Thorpedo, Go!!

Lovely to see him commentating and analysing on the Beeb. ;)

Seem to recall I once had to deliver his BF's Aston Martin after engine was wrecked, and they both turned up at Garage.

Mark is a genuinly great Dude. ( gay or Straight ) had all the gals swooning too.,

Loving what your doing Mark and the rapport with Thorpe has made the swimming. Pity Inverdale the Imbicile arrived to put inane remarks into the dynamics.

So Colin has an Aston Martin!! :cool: Tell me it was something like a DB9 or a Vantage. :cool::cool:
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Wow, the BBC have a class act on the sofa tonight ..... and no I don't mean Sue Barker!! :D

The Thorpedo and Michael Johnson side by side.:)
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, back to swimming...how come Australia did not get DQF'd in the men's 200m relay - their last swimmer got out of the pool before 2 teams had finished. I always thought that was illegal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argh. Hoping Halsall will be OK for the 100m fly tomorrow. Why are they getting 'Delhi belly' - there should be an investigation into this - can't take chances with food at big meets.

Great win from James Goddard but now he needs to somehow shave another second off to compete with Lochte, Clary..

Adlington is in the 800m final tomorrow - Trott looking good but Becky should take it.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJ32 wrote: »
    Argh. Hoping Halsall will be OK for the 100m fly tomorrow. Why are they getting 'Delhi belly' .

I think the clue's in the name of the city.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the clue's in the name of the city.

lol but where are they getting the food from? is it from external restaurants or internal catering...

I just found this article - http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/cwealth-games/food-not-to-blame-says-chief-caterer/1962181.aspx

Looks like there are questions being asked about the village catering. Or is it the water or something.

edit: also found this -

"It is hygiene related," England team doctor Ian Gordon told the UK Press Association. "They have been assiduous in their personal hygiene, [using] alcohol gels. But everybody is going down with this acutely and it just happened to hit Fran today."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argh. Hoping Halsall will be OK for the 100m fly tomorrow. Why are they getting 'Delhi belly' - there should be an investigation into this - can't take chances with food at big meets.

Great win from James Goddard but now he needs to somehow shave another second off to compete with Lochte, Clary..

Adlington is in the 800m final tomorrow - Trott looking good but Becky should take it.

The semi was swum today shortly after the 100 freestyle & she failed to qualify. Ellen Gandy & Jemma Lowe looked quite good, although i don't know if they will be good enough to beat the Aussies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    The semi was swum today shortly after the 100 freestyle & she failed to qualify. Ellen Gandy & Jemma Lowe looked quite good, although i don't know if they will be good enough to beat the Aussies.

oh really.. I missed that. That's another big disappointment because she would have medalled, probably won it if she was on form.

There aren't any results for the semis on the official site but I'm guessing Coutts and Kukla.. ?
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Gutsy swim by the Scots boys in the relay. Cary cracked it on the team followed and Robbie gave it the burn on the last 50m and found pain never experienced before.. Total commitment boyz.

Silver no mean feat and huge congratulations.

Beat the bugs too.

Well Done the whole Scotland team.

Delapsus Resurgum . When I fall I shal Rise.....;) :cool:
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    So Colin has an Aston Martin!! :cool: Tell me it was something like a DB9 or a Vantage. :cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

Not certain that his name was Colin ( I know it wasn't ...but dont want to break any confidentiality or relate misinformation as to relationaship with him)
    But car was a Virage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not certain that his name was Colin ( I know it wasn't ...but dont want to break any confidentiality or relate misinformation as to relationaship with him)
    But car was a Virage.

ha, they meant Colin Jackson. Colin was Foster's coach and 'good friend'.

Colin is similar to Ian Thorpe. He also says he is not gay (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-529649/Im-gay-I-like-single-says-Olympic-star-Colin-Jackson.html) but circumstantial evidence has tended to suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemma Spofforth just posted a Commonwealth Games record in the 50m backstroke heats. 28.30. I reckon she's angry at losing the 100m - her face looks grim. So long as Edington doesn't step up a gear in the final, Spofforth could get this.

It's nice seeing Geoff Huegill back. If people haven't seen it, this is a good article by Thorpe on Huegill's comeback - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9064210.stm

I just love watching Leisel Jones's stroke - that velociraptor clean glide, minimum splashing. To be honest, I was disappointed that Soni came along and upset her party. Don't like Soni's stroke... kind of shallow of me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loving Brent Hayden's 100m free win. He put on a big show with the tattoos, the celebrations and the great time.
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ADLINGTON IS KICKING ASS:D

come on girl show the aussies how its done :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great win by Becky. When watching the race I thought her slowing down in the second half was a result of her Delhi Belly but she said in her interview afterwards that she slowed down deliberately to save herself for the 400 tomorrow.

Fran has said that she is feeking a little better today so hopefully she will be even better tomorrow for the 50m free final.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ha, they meant Colin Jackson. Colin was Foster's coach and 'good friend'.

Colin is similar to Ian Thorpe. He also says he is not gay (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-529649/Im-gay-I-like-single-says-Olympic-star-Colin-Jackson.html) but circumstantial evidence has tended to suggest otherwise.
    People used to gossip about Colin Jackson's 'close friendship' with Canadian hurdler Mark McKoy. When McKoy married some Austrian bird people just found other reasons to gossip, and so the gossip goes on. You have to wonder why the interest.

I suspect 'gay interest' abhors a vacuum. If there are no gay athletes to gossip about the gay-interested mind has to invent them. It's like ghosts, UFOs and other things that aren't there. Just projections basically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean999 wrote: »
    It's like ghosts, UFOs and other things that aren't there.

Interesting... I don't know if they are gay or not and won't state so either way but I don't always automatically believe what people say just because they say it - suspend belief, more like. I have to say that I am fascinated by lies, especially about PED use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bean999 wrote: »
    People used to gossip about Colin Jackson's 'close friendship' with Canadian hurdler Mark McKoy. When McKoy married some Austrian bird people just found other reasons to gossip, and so the gossip goes on. You have to wonder why the interest.

I suspect 'gay interest' abhors a vacuum. If there are no gay athletes to gossip about the gay-interested mind has to invent them. It's like ghosts, UFOs and other things that aren't there. Just projections basically.

How naive are you? Do you really think there are so few gay sportspeople out there? The pertinent point here is that there are incredibly few gay people out in sports mainly because they are worried about the affect on their career and how fans will view them which is incredibly sad IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope this doesn't offend any patriots but out of interest, I combined the medal tally of the home nations to see how Great Britain would have stacked up against Australia.

Australia:
    22 gold / 16 silver / 16 bronze (54)
    Home nations:
    9 / 22 / 14 (45)

Also, for comparison purposes, in the 2006 Games, the home nations combined got:
    15 gold / 14 silver / 9 bronze (38)

Congrats to all of the swimmers who medalled. Can't wait for the World LC Championships now :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this article -

"AUSTRALIA's buoyant swimming team has been given a sobering reality check with the revelation that Great Britain would win more medals if an Olympics were held now.

[...] a closer inspection of the times recorded this year reveals the chastening fact that Australia may not be as riding as high in the water as it thinks it is as it enters the countdown to the 2012 London Olympics.

On times this year, the United States would easily be the dominant nation with 14 gold, 11 silver and nine bronze, according to the Swimnews website.

Great Britain - combining the resources of the four British nations that competed independently here - would be second with 3-3-1 and Australia seventh with 1-8-5."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/commonwealth-games/swimming-figures/story-fn66fst6-1225936811014
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting stuff. I have a hunch that Australia will win more swimming medals in 2012 but the Brits could win more Golds and that is backed up by those figures.