My Brother has gone Missing

1272829303133»

Comments

• Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Jo

Lancashire cricket club are always very good at donating signed stuff. I presume you'd not really want them but I imagine Yorkshire have a similar policy.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SoapyJo wrote: »
    I am currently in the process of finding email addresses for Emmerdale, Corrie and Eastenders to see if they could donate a signed script or something that we could auction off!
    You could try the One Show team as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    Hi Jo

Lancashire cricket club are always very good at donating signed stuff. I presume you'd not really want them but I imagine Yorkshire have a similar policy.

Thanks, great idea, never thought about the cricket team!
    albertd wrote: »
    You could try the One Show team as well.

Thank you, will try them too :)
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have anything constructive to suggest at all I'm afraid, but I just wanted to say that again, I'm so impressed by how amazing and inspiring you are Soapy Jo. Your brother would be so proud of you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I don't have anything constructive to suggest at all I'm afraid, but I just wanted to say that again, I'm so impressed by how amazing and inspiring you are Soapy Jo. Your brother would be so proud of you.

Thank you, but I am only doing what any other person would do if they were unfortunately in the same position.

I have just sent emails to Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Leeds United and Leeds Rhinos. Yorkshire Cricket up next, and apparently Eastenders don't donate merchandise for fundraisers, to they are a no go from the start.

Man U have been contacted already by the organiser (my brother, mum and I are lifelong supporters, but I don't know how well a signed football will go down in a Leeds village with die hard Leeds United supporters lol).

And I have been suggested that i contact the manager at the local Sainsburys for a hamper to be made up.

Looking for a donation of selection of bottled beers now, to offer as a prize for the pool match that we think we will be doing
    :D
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Soapy Jo,

Target anywhere, local restaurants, hairdressers, DIY, nightclubs etc, sometimes it's the smaller ones that will cough up. Your local leisure centre or fitness club

Has DS itself got any contacts with people, contact them

Good luck with it and my admiration :)
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Try the banks and building societies too. They have (or used to have) a fund per branch to give items-watches and such like-for charity prizes.

As well as the nationals (do you have any companies with national offices etc near you?), try local shops as was said ^^^. I am sure they will want to be associated with such a worth while cause.

Jo you're a star! Very best of luck and keep us a-long-way-from-you posted. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Hi Soapy Jo,

Target anywhere, local restaurants, hairdressers, DIY, nightclubs etc, sometimes it's the smaller ones that will cough up. Your local leisure centre or fitness club

Has DS itself got any contacts with people, contact them

Good luck with it and my admiration :)

Thank you Mrs. T, those will be looked in to :)

The email sent to Leeds Rhinos bounced back :(
    I can't seem to find an alternative address, will have a look on Twitter and maybe facebook for them, see if I can find another way!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Try the banks and building societies too. They have (or used to have) a fund per branch to give items-watches and such like-for charity prizes.

As well as the nationals (do you have any companies with national offices etc near you?), try local shops as was said ^^^. I am sure they will want to be associated with such a worth while cause.

Jo you're a star! Very best of luck and keep us a-long-way-from-you posted. :)

Thank you, I will defo. keep you all posted :)

I have also contacted Steven's uni friends, as there was talk of them doing a sponsored walk in Steven's memory, before they decided they wanted something more permanent, like bench or trophy, this is still a work in progress, so I contacted one of them to ask if they wanted to to a sponsored walk in conjunction with this fundraising night, that way we can supply them with official sponsor forms, a bucket to collect money in too, and hopefully a few t-shirts :)

They seem up for doing a walk, so we just need a number from them, and some dates from us!
    It's all very exciting!
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Mrs. T, those will be looked in to :)

The email sent to Leeds Rhinos bounced back :(
    I can't seem to find an alternative address, will have a look on Twitter and maybe facebook for them, see if I can find another way!

Your welcome

It might be an idea to actually post things to them and include an article about your brother. If your going on Twitter try some of the GB swimmers maybe, Rebecca Adlington is on it........think outside the box, local hotels, spas, companies that do microlight flights etc. In other words scan the yellow pages for ideas :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Your welcome

It might be an idea to actually post things to them and include an article about your brother. If your going on Twitter try some of the GB swimmers maybe, Rebecca Adlington is on it........think outside the box, local hotels, spas, companies that do microlight flights etc. In other words scan the yellow pages for ideas :D

I am sure that Claire who is doing the organising in Leeds will be doing that, she has raised over £30,000 for various charities, so she has lots of contacts. But she does raise money for about 5 different charities during the year, so she has to spread everything out.

Had an email from Yorkshire County Cricket Club saying 'Unfortunately YCCC have already exceeded the amount of tickets/signed material offered to charities for 2011.'

So that kinda sucks.

Still waiting to hear back from Leeds United.
    Need to find a working email addy for Leeds Rhinos, or I will have to write to them.
    Heard back from Coronation Street, saying my email had been passed on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Heard back from Coronation Street again, saying they would love to send something, and asking me for my address :D

Good start!
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Jo. I struggled with Leeds Utd but the Rhinos were good as was Arsenal FC (the best Premier League club I found when wanting support).

Have you contacted any celebrities?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Jo. I struggled with Leeds Utd but the Rhinos were good as was Arsenal FC (the best Premier League club I found when wanting support).

Have you contacted any celebrities?

Hi, the Rhinos are usless at the moment, email on their website just bounces back to me.
    Had a convo with my cousin who is a HUGE Rhinos fan about it, I said 'maybe the inbox is full, will try later.' He replied back with 'yeah, full of complaints cus they lost the other night.' lol

Will try them again in a bit.

Not contacted any celebs yet, having a think on that one in regards to who to approach.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Received a package from Corrie today, was hoping for a signed script but they sent an item of clothing, a top, to be exact, as worn by Fiz Stape.
    So will get that up on eBay soon :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted, and I do have a few updates, and I know some of you would like to know.

Sometime ago one of the benches in the church where Steven is, was stolen (probably by kids :mad:), so Mum and Step-Dad spoke to the vicar about it and he said that the family did not want to replace it, so we said that we would.
    So a few weeks later, after looking around, Steven's bench was installed.
    I thought a few of you might like to see the inscription on the plaque.
    Inscription.
    Bench.

In August there was a ceremony? type of thing at the Church, where the vicar wanted to bless the bench.
    I am the least religious person you will ever meet, but I thought it was a nice touch. Mum and Paul went along, as Father Ken invited them, and Mum said it was a very touching ceremony, but it was very nice.

We had the fundraiser for the neonatal unit at St. James' also. £685 was raised on the night!! I was expecting around £300 so it was a great outcome.

There was an article in the YEP here and also in the Wetherby News here, who got mixed up with when he died :rolleyes: And there is supposed to be another article in the Wetherby News, as the those two articles were before the event.

Now for the sad news, the inquest was held this summer, and the coroner recorded an open verdict. I presume this is because there was no witnesses to the actual event, nor can they (or we) work out how he ended up in the river. We do have an idea of what happened, but obviously they need proof.
    Also it turned out that the police officer who saw Steven on the bridge, and happened to be one of the officers to attend my Mum's house after he was reported missing, DID actually lie. A complaint was put in about him, but basically they have covered it up, or he lied to his bosses too :mad:
    YEP article on the inquest here.

Ben Manning's inquest was held a couple of days ago too, his family got a little closure from it as the coroner there recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Anyways, that's all the catching up I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, I remember it so well.:(
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a really nice inscription Jo, and the fundraising sounds fantastic - more than double what you expected! You've done Steven proud (I bet he secretly loves his personalised bench as well :))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted, and I do have a few updates, and I know some of you would like to know.

Sometime ago one of the benches in the church where Steven is, was stolen (probably by kids :mad:), so Mum and Step-Dad spoke to the vicar about it and he said that the family did not want to replace it, so we said that we would.
    So a few weeks later, after looking around, Steven's bench was installed.
    I thought a few of you might like to see the inscription on the plaque.
    Inscription.
    Bench.

In August there was a ceremony? type of thing at the Church, where the vicar wanted to bless the bench.
    I am the least religious person you will ever meet, but I thought it was a nice touch. Mum and Paul went along, as Father Ken invited them, and Mum said it was a very touching ceremony, but it was very nice.

We had the fundraiser for the neonatal unit at St. James' also. £685 was raised on the night!! I was expecting around £300 so it was a great outcome.

There was an article in the YEP here and also in the Wetherby News here, who got mixed up with when he died :rolleyes: And there is supposed to be another article in the Wetherby News, as the those two articles were before the event.

Now for the sad news, the inquest was held this summer, and the coroner recorded an open verdict. I presume this is because there was no witnesses to the actual event, nor can they (or we) work out how he ended up in the river. We do have an idea of what happened, but obviously they need proof.
    Also it turned out that the police officer who saw Steven on the bridge, and happened to be one of the officers to attend my Mum's house after he was reported missing, DID actually lie. A complaint was put in about him, but basically they have covered it up, or he lied to his bosses too :mad:
    YEP article on the inquest here.

Ben Manning's inquest was held a couple of days ago too, his family got a little closure from it as the coroner there recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Anyways, that's all the catching up I think.
    Thank you. x
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done on all this. I hadn't seen this thread since the original posts about your brother missing / being found so it was lovely to read about the fundraising and the bench.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Hello Jo, thank you for updating us. I know I'm not the only one who thinks of you and your family from time to time. The inscription on the bench is really lovely :)
    It must continue to be difficult but I hope you are all coping as well as you can be. Thoughts and prayers are always with you.