Options

CH4+1 HD and 4Seven HD for Freesat?

Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
Forum Member
✭✭✭
These channels launch on the new COM7 mux on freeview next Tuesday.

The question is, will they launch on freesat too? I think there's still room on one of CH4's transponders for a couple of HD channels so fingers crossed.

Comments

• Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    These channels launch on the new COM7 mux on freeview next Tuesday.

The question is, will they launch on freesat too? I think there's still room on one of CH4's transponders for a couple of HD channels so fingers crossed.

Source for them launching on Freeview?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    CH4+1 HD and 4Seven HD for Freesat?

All l can say is l hope so and they'd be a useful addition to Freesat. These are new HD channels so there won't be any existing deal with Sky over them. That said, one of us ought to try to get a response from Freesat about this matter.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully, it would seem strange not to use that space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine they'd just directly replace the SD versions on freesat too, which would be a bonus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've contacted Channel 4 Viewers - should expect a response within 24 hours
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    I've contacted Channel 4 Viewers - should expect a response within 24 hours

Thanks for doing that :) and hopefully they will turn out to be available on Freesat.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They won't be launching on Sky, so they won't be launching on Freesat either. They are Freeview exclusive channels.
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We’re excited that these Channel 4 channels are joining the HD community.
    He's easily excited.
    We are pleased to bolster the Freeview HD proposition with the launch of two new HD channels
    I doubt these filler channels will do much to bolster Freeview HD. I can't remember the last time I used the SD versions so really don't care if they are on Freesat HD or not. This is a pathetic use for the Freeview bandwidth made available for additional HD channels by Ofcom at the request of Channel 4.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather they use the space to boost the pic quality of channel 5 (even though it's sd), as currently their picture is very poor, must be the worst of the 5 Psb channels.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    I would rather they use the space to boost the pic quality of channel 5 (even though it's sd), as currently their picture is very poor, must be the worst of the 5 Psb channels.
    Errr....why would they do that :confused:?
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's the job of Channel 5's owners not Freesat - they just carry what's made available to them.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I don't see the point of launching these but ignoring those who only watch via satellite. I don't have an aerial going into my Sony Bravia, which I think would receive Freeview HD if I had, it would be a lot of faff so I'd rather more HD channels launched on satellite.

On Freeview, I'll concur that it's a waste of bandwidth, normally like +1 channels but now they're going HD on a platform with limited space, some parts of the country are missing BBC FOUR HD, we could have had Channel 5 HD instead if they had not wanted to make it pay and deny it to Freeview.

4Seven HD is the only one I'd really want to see on satellite, a +1 in HD is an interesting step but not tremendously exciting.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I don't see the point of launching these but ignoring those who only watch via satellite. I don't have an aerial going into my Sony Bravia, which I think would receive Freeview HD if I had, it would be a lot of faff so I'd rather more HD channels launched on satellite.

On Freeview, I'll concur that it's a waste of bandwidth, normally like +1 channels but now they're going HD on a platform with limited space, some parts of the country are missing BBC FOUR HD, we could have had Channel 5 HD instead if they had not wanted to make it pay and deny it to Freeview.

4Seven HD is the only one I'd really want to see on satellite, a +1 in HD is an interesting step but not tremendously exciting.

If you can't get BBC Four HD on DTT, you won't get 4SevenHD & Channel4+1HD either...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats us, same old story, and these are not on freesat either....disaster.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats us, same old story, and these are not on freesat either....disaster.

yes but they are currently not on Sky or cable ether so this time your not alone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their SD channels are no worse than ITV or CH4's. In fact I'd say ITV's were the worst of the PSB's on satellite. There's quite a lot of macroblocking on ITV4 when showing sports.

Now the quality of CH5's suite on Freeview is another matter. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    They won't be launching on Sky, so they won't be launching on Freesat either. They are Freeview exclusive channels.
    Maybe CH4 are holding out in the hope of being offered another deal from Sky for these channels on satellite? Not that they'd exactly offer much quality to Sky's current HD line-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their SD channels are no worse than ITV or CH4's. In fact I'd say ITV's were the worst of the PSB's on satellite. There's quite a lot of macroblocking on ITV4 when showing sports.

Now the quality of CH5's suite on Freeview is another matter. :o

Itv4 sd is a real shocker, but it's not a Psb channel. We don't get itv4 on freeview in this part of the country on freeview. It's only via sky and freesat.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Channel 4+1 HD and 4seven HD on Freeview HD are likely to be nothing more than Channel 4 taking control of valuable Freeview HD capacity, giving them more strategic options in the future once current carriage deals expire.

Remember, Channel 4 had in the past expressed an interest in launching Film 4 HD on Freeview HD, going up against Channel 5 for a slot, which Channel 5 subsequently won and refused.

In the meantime, Film 4 HD was launched on Virgin Media and then Sky, and locked into a pay TV carriage contract.

For a time, there was a licence for E4 HD on Freeview, before that was withdrawn. There is still an HD option for More 4 on Freeview on Ofcom's licensing page.

The HD licences appeared at a time when there were rumblings about getting extra bandwidth on Freeview for HD.

The proposals were finally made public in November 2012, but the extra multiplex capacity has only just completed roll-out to around 70% of the UK population.

Back in 2012, when it was clear that more HD on Freeview was a long way away, More4 HD and Film4HD were locked into a pay TV carriage contract with Sky, enabling Channel 4 to earn some money from the channels in the meantime.

In the past, Channel 4 has used new capacity on Freeview to place a temporary service. More4+1 was replaced less than a year after its Freeview launch with Film4, when the movie channel went FTA on all platforms.

So it wouldn't be surprising, if in the longer term, Channel 4+1 HD might be replaced by Film4HD, for example. But it all depends on whether Channel 4 are tempted by any further pay TV carriage deals once the current ones run out.

And if Channel 4+1 HD is just a temporary measure to hold Freeview capacity until its ready to switch one of its other HD channels to FTA, it will explain why it's not in a hurry to add the service onto satellite.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Channel 4+1 HD and 4seven HD on Freeview HD are likely to be nothing more than Channel 4 taking control of valuable Freeview HD capacity, giving them more strategic options in the future once current carriage deals expire...
    Yes, a case of use it or lose perhaps as Channel 5 will find not taking up HD capacity options on Freeview.
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv4 sd is a real shocker, but it's not a Psb channel....
    Ofcom recognises all the other ITV digital channels (ITV+1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, CITV) and those of Channels 4 & 5 as "commercial PSBs' Portfolio Channels". In Ofcom's own words a PSB is a channel broadcasting 'shows made for the benefit of the public and not just for purely commercial purposes.' (although I think that rather narrow definition could include almost everything except for the shopping channels ;-) ).
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Channel 4+1 HD and 4seven HD on Freeview HD are likely to be nothing more than Channel 4 taking control of valuable Freeview HD capacity, giving them more strategic options in the future once current carriage deals expire.

Remember, Channel 4 had in the past expressed an interest in launching Film 4 HD on Freeview HD, going up against Channel 5 for a slot, which Channel 5 subsequently won and refused.

In the meantime, Film 4 HD was launched on Virgin Media and then Sky, and locked into a pay TV carriage contract.

For a time, there was a licence for E4 HD on Freeview, before that was withdrawn. There is still an HD option for More 4 on Freeview on Ofcom's licensing page.

The HD licences appeared at a time when there were rumblings about getting extra bandwidth on Freeview for HD.

The proposals were finally made public in November 2012, but the extra multiplex capacity has only just completed roll-out to around 70% of the UK population.

Back in 2012, when it was clear that more HD on Freeview was a long way away, More4 HD and Film4HD were locked into a pay TV carriage contract with Sky, enabling Channel 4 to earn some money from the channels in the meantime.

In the past, Channel 4 has used new capacity on Freeview to place a temporary service. More4+1 was replaced less than a year after its Freeview launch with Film4, when the movie channel went FTA on all platforms.

So it wouldn't be surprising, if in the longer term, Channel 4+1 HD might be replaced by Film4HD, for example. But it all depends on whether Channel 4 are tempted by any further pay TV carriage deals once the current ones run out.

And if Channel 4+1 HD is just a temporary measure to hold Freeview capacity until its ready to switch one of its other HD channels to FTA, it will explain why it's not in a hurry to add the service onto satellite.
    Agreed, in the future they will probably use the slots for more useful channels. At some point HD won't be premium, no matter how much Sky might cry about it, and they'll need the slots for their higher priority channels.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ' (although I think that rather narrow definition could include almost everything except for the shopping channels ;-) ).

It would IMO exclude "bought in" content and all those channels that do not produce any of their own content or rely on their own archives of movies etc that were produced for profit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Agreed, in the future they will probably use the slots for more useful channels. At some point HD won't be premium, no matter how much Sky might cry about it, and they'll need the slots for their higher priority channels.

But it's not just Sky,
    Virgin Media, BT, and Netflix also charge for HD.