Options

Anyone here ever asked for copies of your NHS GP medical records ?

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought it might be interesting to see my entire GP health history, given I have had a lot of health issues in the decade or so. Just wondered if anyone here has actually asked for a copy (not just seen on screen), and if so, how did you go about it ? Did they just post the printed info out to you ? Or do you need to go to the surgery and discuss the print outs ? Also did you get them on a disc or paper ?

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to put in a formal written request if you want a hard-copy (paper)..

The surgery can (and usually do) charge up to £50 for this.

ETA: If it's all electronic or you don't need a hard copy it may be £10, see here: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2635.aspx
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before moving from Canada, I asked for a copy of mine and my children's medical records. I had to wait a couple of weeks and they charged me $25 which I thought was pretty reasonable. I don't have it anymore, I handed it over when I registered at the local surgery here. It's possible they never even looked at it, lol, but it gave me peace of mind to know they had it for reference if anything ever came up. I suppose being able to do it electronically makes things a bit easier now.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you asked this because lately I have been thinking that I'd like to read all my medical records. Years ago I had a horrible pregnancy resulting in stillborn twin boys. Nobody talked about it, the GP I was seeing told lies about her care of me and it was just an awful time. I would love to read my notes and piece together what really happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've looked into this as want them for a family member who wasn't diagnosed with something for a very long time. The fees are on our hospital website and to get copies will cost a lot it seems. Its all on paper so very time consuming. Not so sure about at the GP as thats online so should be easier.