Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other worry is the defence looked so leaky and this was against Leicester. How much worse can it be against the top teams.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Very poor performance. We haven't looked good all season.

Nothing to go overboard though. Only three games into the league, and other teams will drop points. Problem is we'll drop more points with crap like that, but I think Walcott's return will make a big difference.

I don't think we'll win the league even with signings -- it would take Chelsea and City, maybe even Liverpool to have a sequence of bad results for a start. But fourth shouldn't be too hard to retain. This is what I've come to expect of Arsene -- fourth, continue to give raw players a chance, anything better is a bonus.

Badly need a midfielder with legs. Carvalho is a must.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very poor performance. We haven't looked good all season.

Nothing to go overboard though. Only three games into the league, and other teams will drop points. Problem is we'll drop more points with crap like that, but I think Walcott's return will make a big difference.

I don't think we'll win the league even with signings -- it would take Chelsea and City, maybe even Liverpool to have a sequence of bad results for a start. But fourth shouldn't be too hard to retain.

Badly need a midfielder with legs. Carvalho is a must.

Walcott is important but there's no point sticking him on the right and then when he goes to cross the ball, there's is no one in the box to get on the end of it.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    I agree, on the counter attack in particular we were wide open at the back.

Today was pure dross!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    Walcott is important but there's no point sticking him on the right and then when he goes to cross the ball, there's is no one in the box to get on the end of it.
    Of course, but there's more to him than crossing. He's a runner, no one in the team can make intelligent movements. He knows his limitations unlike Podolski. Plus in the short time he played with Ozil both seemed to develop an understanding.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Wenger is deluded if he thinks this team can win the title with Sanogo leading the attack.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Cazorla in the middle but couldn't sustain his good form vs Besiktas. Reckon Ozil should have been in the middle with Ox on the right and Podolski on the left with Sanchez in the middle.

Need a striker desperately.
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And say what you like about Sanogo (and I think we all have!) I'd much rather see him playing up front than Podolski.

Desperately hope Arsene has something lined up for tomorrow.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its also very frustrating to see the lack of ideas on the pitch. Other teams know how we will play and set up accordingly. We don't seem to be able to do anything different. Very few clear chances today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Wenger is deluded if he thinks this team can win the title with Sanogo leading the attack.
    But he doesn't think we'll win the title. That's the thing. He hopes we can. He can't tell the press 'we want to finish fourth' because how will that look on himself, the club, the fans, etc? He knows every team has their weaknesses and keeps pointing to the fact that six, seven teams are involved in the race.

His first target is fourth place. Anything else is a bonus. The real trophy to him is developing players and using Arsenal as a finishing school. Sure there will be duds, but you'll have the occasional good player who could attract intrest from other clubs, to sell on.

Arsenal can challenge for the league (showed that last season), but to make the next step will be impossible so long as Wenger doesn't change it up.
  • Options
    jvilson29jvilson29 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Poor again today, 5 competitive games and we havent really played well in any of them.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    But he doesn't think we'll win the title. That's the thing. He hopes we can. He can't tell the press 'we want to finish fourth' because how will that look on himself, the club, the fans, etc? He knows every team has their weaknesses and keeps pointing to the fact that six, seven teams are involved in the race.

His first target is fourth place. Anything else is a bonus. The real trophy to him is developing players and using Arsenal as a finishing school. Sure there will be duds, but you'll have the occasional good player who could attract intrest from other clubs, to sell on.

Arsenal can challenge for the league (showed that last season), but to make the next step will be impossible so long as Wenger doesn't change it up.

I did say can but take your point. We are so predictable and as long as Wenger is in charge then I see little changing. Yeah we will have mini runs and everything looks rosy then we will hit the buffers and so on. We will have three more seasons of this. I wouldn't put it past the board to keep him on beyond the three years but that's down the line. Anyway, I await with anticipation til the window closes.
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This extract from his MOTD interview tonight has been tweeted:
    We are active, we are trying but everytime you don't win a game the solution is not to buy a player.

Not sure whether to take a positive from the 'we are active' part or accept he is setting the ground for us doing nothing.

It's ironic. After what was a set of great signings at the beginning of the window it's all suddenly fallen apart and if we do fail to get a quality forward tomorrow I actually think there could be real problems this season. The team doesn't look anything like in form, we have nobody fit and capable of putting the ball in the net on a regular basis and even talented players like Ozil look disenchanted to me. Does anyone really trust Wenger to change anything?

With the squad as it is at the moment I don't think we will finish in the top 4.
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    Its also very frustrating to see the lack of ideas on the pitch. Other teams know how we will play and set up accordingly. We don't seem to be able to do anything different. Very few clear chances today.

Yep. That's the thing that gets me the most about our play. :(
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Thing is, the more people tell him we need to buy a striker, the more he digs his heels in. It was mentioned again in his pre-match interview and you could just see him bristling in indignation.

I've given up worrying about winning the title as I know we won't, mainly because we'll always be those 1, 2, 3 players short. It was great to win the FA Cup, really great, but that's all we will be for the time being - a team who has a chance of winning a cup (and I don't mean CL either).

Still, it could be worse, at least we're not Tottenham.
  • Options
    wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing Sanago instead of Podolski is pathetic.
    At least Podolski can take his chances and has in the past.
    Sanago will never do.
    If we dont get a quality striker we are fxxked.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    satellite wrote: »
    Thing is, the more people tell him we need to buy a striker, the more he digs his heels in. It was mentioned again in his pre-match interview and you could just see him bristling in indignation.

I've given up worrying about winning the title as I know we won't, mainly because we'll always be those 1, 2, 3 players short. It was great to win the FA Cup, really great, but that's all we will be for the time being - a team who has a chance of winning a cup (and I don't mean CL either).

Spot on.

The excuse could be made seasons before that we don't have the money to buy these 2+ players we need to compete but can't be said this transfer window.

Can see nothing but another scramble for fourth place unless we get the players we need to fill the holes in the squad we have.
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »
    If we dont get a quality striker we are fxxked.

I think that's it exactly. Without strength in the middle of midfield we will perform no better against the big sides than we did last year. Without someone to score goals we will perform significantly worse against the rest of the league. Honestly, after being so positive at the beginning of the month, I am starting to get a very bad feeling about this season.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We really should pick up a bunch of thugs from League One to handle the thuggish Stokish sides who play "honest" "pashun" football which is accepted by British referees.

If we are going to struggle against the middling sides how are we going to fare against top sides?

Top 4 will be a struggle this year - though Tottenham are faltering and ManU haven't started.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We really should pick up a bunch of thugs from League One to handle the thuggish Stokish sides who play "honest" "pashun" football which is accepted by British referees.

If we are going to struggle against the middling sides how are we going to fare against top sides?

Top 4 will be a struggle this year - though Tottenham are faltering and ManU haven't started.

Absolute nonsense. Leicester played to their strengths and deserved their point.
    I hope they stay up - they've got tremendous team spirit- I must admit I hadn't even heard of some of their players.
    I tell you what I bet their fans are a damn sight prouder of their players tonight that we are of ours.
    Very concerned about Ozil. Was he even on the pitch today? The boy looks really fed up at the moment.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well we better be busy tomorrow because that team is poor.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Well we better be busy tomorrow because that team is poor.

Well it isn't really is it - when you look at the names on paper.
    It certainly has some major missing parts though.
    One player we should be all over is Nigel De Jong who United are interested in.
  • Options
    bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winning the FA cup is one of the worst things to happen to us for years.
    Wenger signing a new contract is the worst for the record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    satellite wrote: »

Yep, accepted we won't win the league for a long time. I think cup competitions are different though and Wenger may try his hardest to win the Champions League. But we are miles away from Chelsea and City in terms of quality and depth, let alone Real and Bayern.

All plus ca change!!
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    sotek wrote: »
    I think that's it exactly. Without strength in the middle of midfield we will perform no better against the big sides than we did last year. Without someone to score goals we will perform significantly worse against the rest of the league. Honestly, after being so positive at the beginning of the month, I am starting to get a very bad feeling about this season.

Yeah, me too. TBH we havent really "replaced" anyone have we?
    If Wenger things Sanogo can cover for Giroud he's having a laugh. I was so optimistic when we signed Sanchez, Ospina and Debuchy and won the FA Cup and Community Sheild but now.... :o:(
This discussion has been closed.