The Realistic Analysis of England Thread

Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
Forum Member
Everyone overreacts when analyzing England. We're either the best team in the world or the worst - usually the latter. Thought i'd start a thread where only realistic opinions are allowed to analyse the actual football.

The biggest weakness for England was the defense. We defended the whole game as if we were 1-0 down in the 90th minute. Look at Ozil's first chance. We had two defenders back when they broke. This was the 5th minute.

They also left huge gaps between defenders when they were a back 4, as pointed out on BBC

England also focused on themselves too much in the game rather than exploiting the weaknesses of Germany. Germany did the opposite.

Comments

• cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    The only match where we played reasonably well and won we played with at a premier league pace. Unfortunately today we regressed to that dull, slow, pedestrian style that for some reason the players adopt when playing international football. Germany dictated the pace and style of the match from the start and we encouraged them to do so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as it pains me to say it, we really missed Rio Ferdinand defensively.
    As a Leeds fan and seeing him go to Man U it pained me exceptionally but when it comes to country I think Ferdinand is a class defender and would really have done a better job than Gerard as captain and kept us in line.
    However, as bad as the defence was, the rest of the team did nothing as well. Supposed super striker Wayne Rooney did nothing, Lampard who was expected to have a massive world cup - nothing. Taking Emile Heskey when he was done as an England player 8 years ago in Japan - another joke.
    I really just dont see where England can go from here.
    Chris Waddle said the best thing I've heard all day on 5 live :
    "Why don't the FA look at other countries and say 'how do they keep producing this talent?' Where is our Plan B? We haven't got one. The back four can't control the ball, can't pass, we lack so many ideas it's frustrating."
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    The players who will be too old for the next world cup (Lampard, Gerrard, James, Heskey ect) should be set aside now. Time for some new blood to be given a shot. This "golden generation" will be remembered as big stage bottlers.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nerves and lack of confidence.

We have played nothing like we did in the qualifying games and I have no doubt we are capable of a lot more. So many players just didn't play anywhere near their best.

I really don't know what the answer is.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I said the defence would be our downfall back in the Japan game...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=40577509&highlight=#post40577509
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    i think it's funny how yesterday the USA was the joke of the world cup and many here mocked the USA for losing..and now England lost more than the USA did...cockiness always brings bad karma:)
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Germany have technically better, quicker, more intelligent footballers than us and a couple of strikers who can find the back of the net. More often or not, class tells simple as that.

They aren't the best team in the tournament by some way but they had far too much for an over the hill, over hyped and over paid, one dimensional England squad packed with failures from previous campaigns.
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    wolf275 wrote: »
    i think it's funny how yesterday the USA was the joke of the world cup and many here mocked the USA for losing..and now England lost more than the USA did...cockiness always brings bad karma:)

It's not THAT bad... We're not French. :D
  • VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it the defence though? I feel too much importance was put on Gareth Barry as a holding midfielder. Was he supposed to go man to man with Ozil? If he was then we all know who won that battle!
  • Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    I really don't know what the answer is.

Don't worry Cosmo, you're not the only one. Doubt even Capello knows.
  • Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen on Sky Sports England had more shots on goal, and more possesion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's simple. Next time we send very few fans, the media doesn't hype it up so much, and we don't put so much pressure on the boys to win. Even before the tournament started we were hearing how they couldn't possibly come anywhere but top of their group, each game would be almost a walkover, and that Fabio was the man for the job. We couldn't lose the tournament this time. It's always the same, and so are the results. It's time we just let them play and see what happens.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want only "realistic" analysis it could be a very rude thread...:o

Seriously though, from front to back, England have been found lacking. Vicki is correct when they pointed out the loss of Ferdinand did affect the entire back line, but so much worse was the total lack of pace in the team, and the ball control that at times verged on the suicidal.

I am at a loss how England can remake the team.
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Just seen on Sky Sports England had more shots on goal, and more possesion

Stats never tell the whole story, most of the shots were from outside the box and easy for Neur to deal with. The Germans were more than happy for us to control possession, trouble is most of it was in our own defensive third. They looked dangerous everytime they got forward, we didn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England lack squad depth. Just too many players in the squad that barely merit a place in their league sides let alone the national team. Couple that with the few top players there are not performing and you get 4 dire games closed off with a right tonking off the first half decent side we meet.

We've looked ropey at the back since the warm up games. The midfield is packed with ordinary players or good players out of position and we rely solely on Rooney up front for goals.

I was going to list the poor players but the good list is shorter. Beyond Ashley Cole and Rooney, it's hard to justify any of the others wearing the shirt again. And Cole was simply "not terrible". Rooney is a mystery. Perhaps he was broken again . Who knows.

Happily, age will probably be the excuse for most of them disappearing from the scene.

England has some long days of rebuilding ahead of it.