DS Book Club?

urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking, would anyone be interested in starting a DS book club? We could pick a book a month then have a discussion thread for it where readers could debate the book and pose questions. It would be a cool way for us all to be introduced to new authors and new genres that we would not necassarily usually be compelled to read.

Anyone up for it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I think someone tried this before, not sure how it went.

I'd be interested:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested. I think it's a good idea!
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good - how would you go about picking the selection?
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking if everyone involved nominates 1 or 2 books and we could draw at random each month. Working our way through the shortlist that way. Hopefully then we could have a wide enough selection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    urt31 wrote: »
    I was thinking if everyone involved nominates 1 or 2 books and we could draw at random each month. Working our way through the shortlist that way. Hopefully then we could have a wide enough selection.

I think you should choose the first book as it is your idea!
    Then the way you have mentioned would be a good way to continue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qwerty282 wrote: »
    I think you should choose the first book as it is your idea!
    Then the way you have mentioned would be a good way to continue.

Hmmm maybe. Well, if I leave the thread open for another day or so and then we can see what the consensus is. Obviously people can join in at any time but it would be great if we could get a core contingent who take part every month.

I shall have a think about good books to get us talking, in the meantime if anyone has any ideas post them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I would suggest picking 2 weeks in advance. Not everyone may be able to get a book at short notice of a week or may want to get it from the library. If in either case if it needs to be ordered or reserved they will be able to do that.

So to start with pick two titles. One to start with and the next one. When the club begins the second book it can be decided what will follow it as book number three by doing an 2 week nomination and poll procedure.
  • syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the DS Book Club last time around and I would love for it to start up again! I think any of the suggestions would work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds like a good idea
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would join in too.
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested :)
  • Tom MillerTom Miller Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a think about how we can help you out from an admin point of view too - more than happy to get behind something like this (and similarly with film/music/games if there is sufficient interest in those areas). :)
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Sounds like fun as long as there is plenty of time to get hold of the book ,
    it would be nice to cover all Genres im a Fantasy lover but would be happy to read and give my opinion on any and everything else x at the end of the day a good book is a good book x
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in this too. I read a lot anyway but tend to stick to the same 2 genre's, it would be good to read something different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be interested I read loads
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should we set a date then, for it to start and figure out definitely how the first book will be chosen/what it will be?

I suggest the first week of October as the start date.
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,513
    Forum Member
    I'm interested, as long as we would know the book 2 weeks or so in advance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I put some thought into this today and an idea I had would be to run it on a one book every 4 weeks basis. We could announce the next book one week before the end of the previous, this would allow people up to 5 weeks to locate and read a copy of the book. What does everyone think, too short, too long, just right?

Also with regards to book selection, would it be better to do themed months or should we keep a shortlist and just draw at random each month?

Glad people are liking the idea, I really hope we can get it up and running quickly.
    Forum Member
    I just saw that exclusive to WHSmiths they are doing 2 for 1 on the books in Richard and Judy's book club at the moment. Perhaps the first 2 books could come from those 8 titles to keep the costs down a bit?

The titles are here http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/richardandjudybookclub.aspx

There are three that have caught my eye the most; Operation Mincemeat which sounds intriguing, Sister and lastly The Snowman.
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    urt31 wrote: »
    Okay, I put some thought into this today and an idea I had would be to run it on a one book every 4 weeks basis. We could announce the next book one week before the end of the previous, this would allow people up to 5 weeks to locate and read a copy of the book. What does everyone think, too short, too long, just right?

Also with regards to book selection, would it be better to do themed months or should we keep a shortlist and just draw at random each month?

Glad people are liking the idea, I really hope we can get it up and running quickly.

I think this is a great way of doing it and I was about to post something similar.

In regards to what books we choose, maybe we could all put our names down in a list and one FM is chosen at random to make the decision each month? "Random" being someone drawing the names from a hat.

It'd probably be more accessible and organised to create a new thread for each book; this way, new forum members won't be intimidated or put-off by one big, long thread but can easily join in or read discussions for each book on their own.

Maybe each thread could be titled "DS Book Club - Book #X - "Insert Title Here" by A. Author" and we could keep the admin-related decisions (choosing books etc) on this thread.
    Forum Member
    I think themed or a genre would be good because it will stop having lots of the same genre keep being read and may introduce readers to a genre they wouldn't usually read. I draw the line at Mills and Boon though. They are universally crap! :(
    Just kidding if one gets picked I'll read it, then decide that it is crap! :D

If you are looking at doing "classics" I would try and get them from the Penguin Classics range as they often turn up in those discount book shops so people can save money on those.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, count me in. Just let me know what I need to read. :)