I think the Entity was about a woman being raped by a demon. :eek:

As for tv i think the X files had its moments
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    lisalee23 wrote: »
    I think the Entity was about a woman being raped by a demon. :eek:

As for tv i think the X files had its moments

1: Yes, the entity includes a demonic being and there have been reports of rape by it during sleep paralysis.

2: X Files is massive fun - going through it all again with the other half, currently on the 3rd season. But of course, legendarily it's 'Squeeze' with Eugene Tooms that remains long in the memory. Especially if it's the first episode you ever saw when you were about 15.
  • Options
    bruce9651bruce9651 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Ghostwatch

The name of the ghost was Pipes

Also I remember there was a doc on channel 4 a few years ago about a poltergeist in a house in the 1970s

They show photos of girls been thrown from their bed and film footage of a old man's voice coming out of one of the girls:eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bruce9651 wrote: »
    Ghostwatch

The name of the ghost was Pipes

Also I remember there was a doc on channel 4 a few years ago about a poltergeist in a house in the 1970s

They show photos of girls been thrown from their bed and film footage of a old man's voice coming out of one of the girls:eek::eek::eek:

I saw that too :eek:. I need to stop reading this thread tonight cos its getting late and im going to have nightmares! Night all :yawn::sleep:
  • Options
    pinkpowerrangerpinkpowerranger Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone remember the ITV series Chiller? It was pretty creepy and was on in the mid 90s. The one I liked best was the one with the lollipop lady.
  • Options
    ImDianeSimmondsImDianeSimmonds Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Salem's Lot - the TV version with David Soul and James Mason. The dead boy floating at the window; the first appearance of the vampire...brrr!

Ghostwatch.

The Mad Death - a BBC Scotland drama series about rabies coming to the UK.

Another vote for Salem's Lot. Truly, truly terrifying and I have no desire to go back and rewatch it.

I remember that I used to put my rocking chair onto the landing every night, as I couldn't sleep with it in the room. I recall there was one scene where an older vampire was just sitting rocking back and forth.
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Threads.

And another for Threads, bleak and at the time of showing, the threat was pretty real. I was quite young but remember the horrible threat of nuclear war. It was so scary for me, because there felt a real possibility that it could happen.

And I fancied Reece Dinsdale in it. But the aftermath part still upsets me. And when I think about it now, as a mother, it is more horrifying that the baby was born and grew up in that bleak, very scary world.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lisalee23 wrote: »
    What do you think are the creepiest/scariest TV shows of all time?

For me it has to be The Incredible Hulk from the 80s. I remember being very small and having nightmares after seeing it.

Also 999 i found quite disturbing all those real life stories of people impaling themselves on garden forks etc Yuk!

Then there is Strange but True with Michael Aspel. Yikes :eek:

I think that is a very good example. I was also very young when I watched it and I could not go into any other room on my own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Sapphire and Steel scared the crap out of me when I was a kid of about 12, and I'm sure I only half understood what was going on.
    I don't know when it was last broadcast but I would like to see it again.
    Wikipedia says it was released on DVD in 2007 but showing it on something like UKGold would be nice :D
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salem's Lot scared me too when it was on the BBC in the mid 80s. I'd been allowed to stay up late because I was ill and was off school the next day and it was on after Blackadder 2. Absolutely shat myself when the vampire is at the window and where to boy sits up in the coffin even though it was obviously going to happen. Second episode wasn't as scary though.

Ghostwatch was quite scary, although it was a bit much for people to complain about a post-9pm show that was so obviously fiction, and was billed as such.

Twin Peaks also scared me, and I can't name exactly what it was about it, just a sense of unease. And the film was even worse.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode Hush from Buffy was terrifying.

There was one episode from X Files that gave me nightmares repeatedly! Weird deformed monster demon thing!

I saw Salem's Lot a few years ago.

I know its a film, but in A Level Film we were shown Nosferatu and it was very creepy for an old film. It was the way it was shot and the way that everything was so abstract and obviously the vampire itself is still one of the scariest looking in all these years.
  • Options
    Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try episode 12 of Hammer House of Horror (1980): The Two Faces of Evil, probably my all-time creepiest piece of television fiction, featuring a tour-de-force performance from Anna Calder-Marshall.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    toribaynes wrote: »
    armchair thriller!

I was going to say that too!!! :eek:
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Hammer House Of Horror, Armchair Thriller, some of the Tales Of The Unexpecteds.

3 great choices there!
    I was around 10 years old when most of these began! The themes to the first two were scary enough!!! :eek:
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Twin Peaks also scared me, and I can't name exactly what it was about it, just a sense of unease. And the film was even worse.

There is a sense of something innate to horror films about Twin Peaks, even though there is little typical 'horror film' activity depicted on-screen. I think it's this quality that captured my imagination at the time (my mother and I only started watching it to prevent my father watching the nine o'clock news).

Having said that, there are indeed scary moments, particularly the dream sequence where the comatose girl has a nightmare flashback to Laura's murder, and the subsequent murder of Maddy. Ironically it's now rather than first time round that those two sequences scare/disturb me.

I guess when I was younger I was less attuned to the disturbing quality of the implications of things that unfolded before my eyes, and more to the visceral 'thrill' of violence and terror. I still can't believe that Maddy's murder was filmed let alone shown in an American Network TV programme at that time - it's still incredibly intense and brutal to watch.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about Twin Peaks, I think it's just because there was no indication Bob could be stopped, all paths lead to the black lodge, ultimately there is no hope there.

I choose to read the final scene of Fire Walk With Me as being a happy ending, because I think it needed it; just for me.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    open-arms wrote: »
    Ghostwatch - I was terrified, I slept with the light on for days after that.

Can anyone remember a program where the title sequence included a closeup of an eye? That gave me the creeps so much I cried when it came on.

"The Outer Limits" title sequence has a close - up of an eye.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I7vPbthvWo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    The episode Hush from Buffy was terrifying.
    There was one episode from X Files that gave me nightmares repeatedly! Weird deformed monster demon thing!

I saw Salem's Lot a few years ago.

I know its a film, but in A Level Film we were shown Nosferatu and it was very creepy for an old film. It was the way it was shot and the way that everything was so abstract and obviously the vampire itself is still one of the scariest looking in all these years.

I agree very eerie. I have a friend who was a hardcore Buffy fan and she couldnt watch the full episode because it creeped her out so much.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purely for the intro....are you afraid if the dark?
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Hammer House Of Horror, Armchair Thriller, some of the Tales Of The Unexpecteds.

The HHOH episode where the pipe broke during a childrens party and sprayed them with blood gave me nightmares for weeks :eek:
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toribaynes wrote: »
    armchair thriller!

They use to open each episode with a piece of music that was mildly sinister-but it was the longer piece of music they played out with at the end of the episode that was really brilliant and creepy. The closing credits theme was just so brooding and atmospheric. It was written by Roxy Music saxophonist Andy Mackay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this is classed as tv or film but the BFG animation scared the hell out of me. The big grey giants that used to come out at night and wander the streets planting nightmares in your head :eek:
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when i was younger i remember watching 'under the mountain' and it scaring the hell out of me. No idea what it was about, it was on UTV (and more than likely all ITV regions) in the summer holidays. I was probably just an easily scared child and it was about rabbits and guinea pigs though...
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the Radio Times list from 2004

1. Stephen King's It
    2. The X-Files
    3. Ghostwatch
    4. Tales of the Unexpected
    5. Sapphire and Steel
    6. Twin Peaks
    7. Quatermass and the Pit
    8. The Twilight Zone
    9. American Gothic
    10. The Outer Limits
    11. The Woman in Black
    12. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    13. The League of Gentlemen
    14. Millennium
    15. Children of the Stones
    16. Survivors
    17. Chimera
    18. The Life and Loves of a She-Devil
    19. Chimera
    20. The Singing Ringing Tree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Armchair Thriller .....a particular episode called 'Looking For Rachel' stays with me to this day as extremely powerful. Very Sinister and not shown too late in the evening from memory approx 7.30pm

On a similar theme the ''I'll be back......'' Public Information Film with the Black Cloak floating in water warning kids to stay away from open water in the summer in the mid 70's !
  • Options
    zippykinszippykins Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I started a thread about 999 a couple of months back. I was glad to see it wasn't just me who was scared shitless by it. One episode in particular put me off fireworks for years. :eek:

There was one where a girl got her hair sucked into a vent in a swimming pool. I had to make sure my hair was totally pinned up when I went to the pool after that.

Ghostwatch would be top of my list too - I went to bed before the end and lay awake all night fearing pipes would get me.