Sainsburys refused to sell Fireman Sam DVD - because parents had no ID

The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
Forum Member
A mother and father have been told they could not buy a U-rated children's DVD for their son because they did not have any ID.

Kirsty Breeze, 19, and Ian Jackson, 24, wanted to buy the video at Sainsbury's in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire - suitable for children under the age of four - for their son Leo's second birthday.

However, they were told they could not do so without proving they were old enough and in the end Miss Breeze's mother, Jill, 42, had to go to the shop to buy the £4 DVD, Fireman Sam: A Spot of Bother.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032149/Sainsburys-staff-refuse-sell-fireman-DVD-parents-dont-ID.html#ixzz1WbtMen2k
Absolutely ridiculous. This culture of asking all and sundry for ID, Challenge 25 etc has to stop - if not I can see it becoming Challenge 40 in the not too distant future. Some till workers simply cannot have any common sense if they are making these types of decisions - time the ID laws were relaxed a bit, unless someone is obviously under 18 then ID should NOT be asked for. Makes me glad I'm not still 16 because christ knows where I'd have got my **** from in this day and age!

Comments

• skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Are sales staff really this stupid ?
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    A simple case of human error. What's the story here?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Are sales staff really this stupid ?

It will be a case of do as the company policy says or risk the sack. If I were working at a shop I'd not risk the sack just to sell a DVD.
    You should save your ire for whoever in Sainsbury's management decide to lump all DVDs into a "challenge 25" policy.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    It will be a case of do as the company policy says or risk the sack. If I were working at a shop I'd not risk the sack just to sell a DVD.
    You should save your ire for whoever in Sainsbury's management decide to lump all DVDs into a "challenge 25" policy.

Even if it's perfectly obvious the buyers are above the age of point of sale ? What a waste of productive time and resources.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A simple case of human error. What's the story here?

The story is a case of pretty staggering corporate stupidity.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    What's the story here ?

Someone messes up in a small way - company apologises :yawn:
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »

It's only a Fireman Sam DVD :rolleyes:
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, no picture of Kirsty and Ian looking all sad and dejected??
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely ridiculous. This culture of asking all and sundry for ID, Challenge 25 etc has to stop - if not I can see it becoming Challenge 40 in the not too distant future. Some till workers simply cannot have any common sense if they are making these types of decisions - time the ID laws were relaxed a bit, unless someone is obviously under 18 then ID should NOT be asked for. Makes me glad I'm not still 16 because christ knows where I'd have got my **** from in this day and age!

Did they ask to speak to a supervisor before calling her mum down ? That would have been the sensible thing to do.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    It's only a Fireman Sam DVD :rolleyes:

Seems that Sainsburys have form for making ridiculous ID based decisions -
    An RAF squadron leader was banned from buying wine at a supermarket - because his 17-year-old son was with him.

Father-of-three Mark Giles, 42, popped to Sainsbury's buy food for dinner and took son Ian to help carry the bags.

Along with his other groceries, he picked up three bottles of red wine which were on offer, but was stunned when the cashier asked if Ian had any proof of age.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1201923/RAF-officer-banned-buying-alcohol-shopping-son-17.html
    A balding 28-year-old bank manager was stunned when he was told by a zealous supermarket cashier he looked too young to buy a PG-rated film.

Lewis Peagam, who also has stubble, was refused the DVD of family film Firehouse Dog unless he handed over proof of his age at the counter in a Sainsbury's store in Birmingham.

He had picked up the movie for his nephew George's seventh birthday but said he ended up feeling like an underage teenager trying to buy alcohol.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1205784/Balding-bank-manager-28-humiliated-Sainsburys-cashier-refuses-sell-PG-film.html#ixzz1WbzUneUO
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually laughed out loud when reading this thread title :D Completely laughable!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    What, no picture of Kirsty and Ian looking all sad and dejected??

:D:D I was gutted they didn't feature one.
    Forum Member
    Seems that Sainsburys have form for making ridiculous ID based decisions -

I'm sure most retailers have made a silly mistake every now and then
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems that The Mail have form for making up ridiculous stories .....

Amended for truth ! ;)
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    No not really, just simple human error.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I work at sainsburys,

during our training we were told that we had to apply the think 25 policy to all DVDs

no-one does though,

I imagine the person that did this was new...
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Always impressed how quickly the victims of trivia will run crying to The Daily Mail.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not really, just simple human error.

It isn't human error at all, it is a complete lack of common sense.
  • Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    I work at sainsburys,

during our training we were told that we had to apply the think 25 policy to all DVDs

no-one does though,

I imagine the person that did this was new...

Well you clearly haven't done a refresher for Think 25 recently then. They updated it to get rid of the ambiguity around U and PG films to make sure situations like this don't happen. It's the fault of the till if anything, as they don't differentiate, but just prompt for Think 25 on all DVDs whether it's applicable or not.

(I worked for Sainsburys myself until recently.)
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Absolutely ridiculous. This culture of asking all and sundry for ID, Challenge 25 etc has to stop -

No it doesn't, it's there to protect and I bet you'd be the first to scream blue murder if a youngster was harmed.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This couple have taken a minor incident and smelt 'newspaper fame'. A chance of reading their own name in a newspaper......wow.

Get a life. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    It isn't human error at all, it is a complete lack of common sense.

Perhaps so but it still really isn't a story other than to raise a smile let alone "staggering corporate stupidity"
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Well you clearly haven't done a refresher for Think 25 recently then. They updated it to get rid of the ambiguity around U and PG films to make sure situations like this don't happen. It's the fault of the till if anything, as they don't differentiate, but just prompt for Think 25 on all DVDs whether it's applicable or not.

(I worked for Sainsburys myself until recently.)

I've been working there for over a year and things still arnt very clear,

though I don't apply the think 25 to anything other than '18' rated items,
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    This couple have taken a minor incident and smelt 'newspaper fame'. A chance of reading their own name in a newspaper......wow.

Get a life. :rolleyes:
    Exactly. A cashier makes a petty and stupid mistake and it gets blown up into a load of faux outrage by the scum at the Daily Mail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol ID'd for a U rated DVD...amazing.

I thought when i got ID'd for a non-alcoholic drink at tescos because it said "cider" on the front couldnt be beaten but...alas i am proved wrong.