Sexual harrasment on the street

13»

Comments

• Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you just have to apply common sense, like with everything else. The sexual comments would become harrassment if it was clear that the person they're aimed at doesn't feel the same way, but the other peson continued.

I imagine it would apply more to the workplace than on a night out.

I do find it annoying though when people act like the driver the OP described. I doesn't bother me too much in the UK as thankfully the ignorant men like that driver are not a majority.

However, I studied in southern Spain for a semester and it happened ALL THE TIME. Not just to me, to other girls too. Men would whistle, call out and make stupid noises at us in the street, beep their horns, even come up to us and start hassling us when we were going about our business. It was mostly horrible old men too.

It got to the point where I dreaded leaving the house as it just wasn't worth the stress.

Flirting is one thing. Treating someone like a walking pair of boobs/legs and making them feel uncomfortable is different altogether.

Completely agree :)

That's what my post was getting at, and it's that magical phrase; common sense.

It's something that seems to be lacking in some place (like the thing I quoted).
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I had a lot of wolf whistles when I was in my teens, just laughed it off, never thought there was anything sinister about it at all.

It's a bit creepy when you're 12 or 13 and middle aged men are wholf whistling. If it was other teenage boys then yeah I laughed it off too.
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I know. But like I said try shouting something back to embarrass him, or make him feel awkward. Try it :)

Are you insane? Feeding trolls is bad!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit unfair though, to label someone a prude just because they don't want to be objectified by some stranger, while they're minding their own business. Just because your friends don't mind doesn't mean that other women should feel the same way.

And since when is it OK for a woman to grab a guys d**k in public? Never heard of that one!

Yeah when you put it that way that's true. Aplogies to OP for referring to her as a prude.

aybe it hasn't caught on yet! it's bloody irritating though.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I know. But like I said try shouting something back to embarrass him, or make him feel awkward. Try it :)

And the d**k groping doesn't just happen in clubs, it's happened a couple of times in School and whether it's a joke or not they wouldn't see the funny side if I groped them or rubbed them up.

A girl on her own at a bus stop is in a very different situation from a schoolboy that everyone, absolutely everyone fancies as you've explained to us, and who quite clearly doesn't mind attention.
    For a girl to engage in the kind of banter you admire could actually turn out quite badly. Especially is she's only 12.
    Do the female sex a favour and don't give them any advice.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often have some yob shout at me when I'm out jogging, 'you'll never make the Olympics hurhur' is a common one. But the rude sexual comments are always from a group of young women. Maybe being part of a 'pack' emboldens them against a lone guy?
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not truly a point, more a non sequitur ramble into obscurity.

I guess you'd have to perhaps be British to appreciate it, Damned Yankee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    A girl on her own at a bus stop is in a very different situation from a schoolboy that everyone, absolutely everyone fancies as you've explained to us, and who quite clearly doesn't mind attention.
    For a girl to engage in the kind of banter you admire could actually turn out quite badly. Especially is she's only 12.
    Do the female sex a favour and don't give them any advice.

OK first of all I never knrew she was 12, that is wrong, and second of all if you would bother to have read my post after the one you quoted I aplogised to the OP.

And also I never said anyone fancied me, just because someone gropes you doesn't mean they fancy you. (I'd like to think some of them did though)

I can't help it...
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    If a male does this to a female and then mysteriously is knocked unconscious by a piece of wood contacting his head, I don't feel a second crime has been committed.

And, that's what it would take to stop most men who grope women.

So we have gone from idiot beeping a hooter to "grope hysteria" that never even happened in this instance

Hmmmm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was waiting at the bus stop this morning and i had this man about 30 aggressively pap his horn at me (About 10 times) and he shouted "hi sexy girl eye eye".It wa awful i was fully clothed and it was rather embarrasing having others at the bus stop stare at me afterwoods.
    What gives these people the right to do this ? its intimidating and makes me feel uncomfortable.Does this happen to any of you?

It used to. :cry: