The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders should see a rise tonight, even if the result was predictable, and the build up poor, we always knew the fall out, would be good, that is what EastEnders is best at.

Would like to say ratings will be 8 million but im just not sure, BBC 3 has been in the toilet since the 22:30 move.

Yes ratings will go up Christmas Day, but like tonight's, im not sure it will be by enough.

A decent Wednesday for the BBC, even The One Show preformed well.

D.M.N. its not Rich in 5 Minutes is it?
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,264
    Forum Member
    dillan wrote: »
    Twitter was eastenders mad tonight. I'm hoping for high ratings, but I think 8-8.5million will be the highest.
    Yes it's been trending a lot
    tobi wrote: »
    I agree that Text Santa will get about 4m. I think it is only in its second year and it could grow from year to year. It definitely is getting alot more promotion this year and could have a good feeling around it during the festive season.

I felt that the Eastenders episode tonight was a bit of a let down. I can't see it drawing alot of viewers back in but it should rate near 9m anyway.
    It's getting a good reponse on Twitter,Facebook and wait for it....DS:eek:

Fantastic performances from all.....I expect some complaints thought as the who's been Sh*gging My Wife line will have people reaching for the phone no doubt
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    EastEnders should see a rise tonight, even if the result was predictable, and the build up poor, we always knew the fall out, would be good, that is what EastEnders is best at.

Would like to say ratings will be 8 million but im just not sure, BBC 3 has been in the toilet since the 22:30 move.

Yes ratings will go up Christmas Day, but like tonight's, im not sure it will be by enough.

A decent Wednesday for the BBC, even The One Show preformed well.

It was. Simon ashdown just knows EastEnders so well and he's written Tomorrow and Xmas day's episode too

Last night was the press showing for EastEnders xmas and a lot of critcs were shocked by the secret of Max (which the viewers are not aware off)

I think BBC wil move the repeat back to 10:00pm next year

BBC EastEnders ‏@bbceastenders

EastEnders had NINETEEN trending topics in tonight's episode. We need a cold flannel and a lie down after that. What about you? #eastenders
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eh..?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Eh..?
    new pilot, you mention in #274. Was wondering if its the same one as I just saw, reading it again, I dont think it is.
    dan2008 wrote: »
    It was. Simon ashdown just knows EastEnders so well and he's written Tomorrow and Xmas day's episode too

Last night was the press showing for EastEnders xmas and a lot of critcs were shocked by the secret of Max (which the viewers are not aware off)

I think BBC wil move the repeat back to 10:00pm next year

BBC EastEnders ‏@bbceastenders

EastEnders had NINETEEN trending topics in tonight's episode. We need a cold flannel and a lie down after that. What about you? #eastenders

I am no fan of Twitter trends.

A 10pm move back would be nice.

I do hope the Christmas Day episode is good, but Maxs secret needs to be jaw dropping, and also I just cant see EE get the big ratings this Christmas, the past few months have done the show no favours. Tonight wont be enough.
    Forum Member
    new pilot, you mention in #274. Was wondering if its the same one as I just saw, reading it again, I dont think it is.

I am no fan of Twitter trends.

A 10pm move back would be nice.

I do hope the Christmas Day episode is good, but Maxs secret needs to be jaw dropping, and also I just cant see EE get the big ratings this Christmas, the past few months have done the show no favours. Tonight wont be enough.
    The cast and Critics said it was shocking so it must be something really :eek::eek::eek:

I think Monday will see a high figure. Everyone will have finished work (mostly) shops will be closed and there's a fantastic line up on BBC1 too. the 9:00pm slot should work well right after Merlin
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all, If people are talking about it.....

EastEnders is top UK Trend and has 5 others tonight
    and one worldwide.

Im hoping for at least 8million but I feel it will fall short (Just)

BBC3 might see a nice boost but I think the officials could be pretty high

Twitter means nothing in the scope for ratings, though; that much has been proven before. Though if the episode falls short of 8m considering the amount of pressure the BBC have given it then that will be a concern. This is arguably the biggest episode since the start of the year so they'll want a sizeable audience.

This is something which Coronation Street will probably not get due to the bizarre, random placement of tonight's episode yet again. Why do they do it? It'd be better off locked in it's usual schedule instead of expecting people to chase it around the schedule.

Saying that, it didn't hurt Last Tango in Halifax last night which picked up a brilliant rating considering the switch in nights. Town barely grabbed anyone's attention and completely collapsed in the end while BBC Two had a steady if unspectacular night. I hope Extreme Railways continues to perform decently for Channel 5; I caught a bit last night and thought it was very interesting.

THE CHRISTMAS BUMPER PREDICTION SCHEDULE CAN BE FOUND HERE.
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4, prime time seems adrift. People are not being drawn to it.

My own opinion is the talent is now stale. And the formats are just them having middleclass self indulgent 'adventures'. Making Christmas, going wild, Creating huge food... whatever... I'm not drawn to it and neither are the viewers.

Considering the amount spent on these big talent formats, compared to the docs that go out at 10pm, there is no bang for the buck. The documentaries are within touching distance of them or above in viewing figures, and get a better share.

20:00 - Kirstie's Vintage Christmas: 1.28m (5.7%) , +1: 173k
    21:00 - Heston's Fantastical Christmas: 1.58m (6.7%) , +1: 243k
    22:00 - The Twins Who Share A Body: 1.34m (7.4%) , +1: 191k

Channel 4 have got to kick their show's up the backside, big time! Same old stuff over and over again.
    Hardly story of the day, I know, but C4 News was getting closer to 700k last time I remember seeing its ratings reported here. Considering they've had a really big week (Plebgate scoop), that's a disappointing number.

An hour long news seems no longer viable for C4. Knock it down to 30mins, with a half hour current affairs/news programme on at 7.30pm.
    Glenn A wrote: »
    ITV Sport will be delighted with Arsenal and Man U's rivals in the second round of the ECL. Should Man U in particular become a cliffhanger, then ratings should be very high.
    However, this is a poisoned chalice as if both teams, and Celtic, go out, then the ECL will become another Tuesday flopzone candidate. Yet for now ITV must be delighted with the draw.

Depends on how the remainder of the tournament goes. Bayern v Real Madrid and Barca v Real Madrid in last couple of years (both SF) have rated quite high.

The draw has certainly been kind to ITV. But if all 3 get knocked out (I think Arsenal is a certainty) then it may be a bit messy for ITV in QF.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Eastenders last 6 months' main storyline has all been building up to tonight's episode. If with all the build up and promotion BBC has been giving this episode, Eastenders cant get 8.5million that will be a bad rating.

They need to reduce EastEnders to two episodes per week and get Simon Ashdown to write the episodes. Tonights was very good and you can tell the difference immediately when it is a quality written episode.
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    They need to reduce EastEnders to two episodes per week and get Simon Ashdown to write the episodes. Tonights was very good and you can tell the difference immediately when it is a quality written episode.
    Tomorrow and Xmas day is written by him too.

He's not just a writer though which is why he only writes some of the big storylines.

Chris reason has been there since 1998 (or so) and a couple of others so it's really only the newer lot that's Kirkwood bought it don't really know EastEnders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cast and Critics said it was shocking so it must be something really :eek::eek::eek:
    of course the cast will say that. As for the critics, it would hardly be the first time, the TV critics have been part of the build up hype. They are not exactly Newsnight journalists, (for what little that means any more_ in how they deal with the reporting of soap news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Monday will see a high figure. Everyone will have finished work (mostly) shops will be closed and there's a fantastic line up on BBC1 too. the 9:00pm slot should work well right after Merlin

BIB: I only hope Merlin's rather sombre conclusion doesn't put people off watching another sombre programme!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course the cast will say that. As for the critics, it would hardly be the first time, the TV critics have been part of the build up hype. They are not exactly Newsnight journalists, (for what little that means any more_ in how they deal with the reporting of soap news.

If they were critics from What's On TV, TV Choice and Inside Soap they'll be easily pleased!

Could Max's secret be:
    That twice a week he wears jogging pants and a Slazenger polo shirt?

That would be shocking for Max!
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see EastEnders tonight (I haven't watched it for a good month or so) but I was aware that Kat's lover was revealed due to people at work talking about it and seeing the trailer on BBC1. It sounds like it was a big episode, so I'm expecting the BBC1 7.30pm showing to see a significant rise of about a million (8.5-8.7m). If it falls short of 8m, it will be an extremely disappointing result.

As for last night, what on earth happened to The Town? I wasn't expecting it to fall so low!

Coronation Street is doing OK, but it should be doing a lot better. And it deserves to as it's been brilliant recently.
    Forum Member
    If they were critics from What's On TV, TV Choice and Inside Soap they'll be easily pleased!
    No One of their 'Haters' in fact
    well the guy from the Star and the Mirror which seems to slate EastEnders at every given chance
    BIB: I only hope Merlin's rather sombre conclusion doesn't put people off watching another sombre programme!
    A programme I've always wanted to watch but never seemed to manage it. May record Mondays episode
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick thank you for spoiler texting that, I am avoiding spoilers in the run up to Christmas, and not just for Merlin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick thank you for spoiler texting that, I am avoiding spoilers in the run up to Christmas, and not just for Merlin.

You're welcome, but you might want to read this particular one as I don't think it is likely at all! (Not to be taken seriously!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're welcome, but you might want to read this particular one as I don't think it is likely at all! (Not to be taken seriously!)
    fair enough, now I just need to know who you are referring to. Is it a sports guy?
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4, prime time seems adrift. People are not being drawn to it.

My own opinion is the talent is now stale. And the formats are just them having middleclass self indulgent 'adventures'. Making Christmas, going wild, Creating huge food... whatever... I'm not drawn to it and neither are the viewers.

Considering the amount spent on these big talent formats, compared to the docs that go out at 10pm, there is no bang for the buck. The documentaries are within touching distance of them or above in viewing figures, and get a better share.

20:00 - Kirstie's Vintage Christmas: 1.28m (5.7%) , +1: 173k
    21:00 - Heston's Fantastical Christmas: 1.58m (6.7%) , +1: 243k
    22:00 - The Twins Who Share A Body: 1.34m (7.4%) , +1: 191k
    Not so sure about the latter but disapointing for Kirstie and Heston as at least those are two shows in the schedules which are actually fairly unique and not just seemingly about slapping a pair of golden handcuffs on someone then working out what to chain them too.
    Hardly story of the day, I know, but C4 News was getting closer to 700k last time I remember seeing its ratings reported here. Considering they've had a really big week (Plebgate scoop), that's a disappointing number.
    C4 News has been going downhill for the last year or so IMO, since it's little mini revamp where as is so often the case in TV they tried to soften it up a bit to appeal to a wider audience, losing loyal viewers in the process.
    Glenn A wrote: »
    ITV Sport will be delighted with Arsenal and Man U's rivals in the second round of the ECL. Should Man U in particular become a cliffhanger, then ratings should be very high.
    However, this is a poisoned chalice as if both teams, and Celtic, go out, then the ECL will become another Tuesday flopzone candidate. Yet for now ITV must be delighted with the draw.
    For everyone like me who has read through the thread and seen all the mentions of this great draw without anyone mentioning the draw, here it is:

Galatasaray v FC Schalke
    Celtic v Juventus
    Arsenal v Bayern Munich
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund
    AC Milan v Barcelona
    Real Madrid v Manchester United
    Valencia v Paris St Germain
    FC Porto v Malaga

ITV will have Celtic v Juventus in week 1, Arsenal v Bayern Munich in week 2, the second leg of Man Utd v Real Madrid in week 3 and almost certainly show Barcelona v AC Milan in week 4 - so three very nice Brit ties and probably the least-worse scenario when it comes to an all foreign tie.

Europa League last-32 draw:
    Zenit St Petersburg v Liverpool (5pm)
    Newcastle v FC Metalist Kharkiv (8pm)
    Sparta Prague v Chelsea (6pm)
    Tottenham v Lyon (8pm)

Can't see any of those being promoted to ITV1 - and I would guess ITV stick with their usual Liverpool/Tottenham combo unless the 5pm kick-off puts them off. The draw for the last 16 has also been made - potentially a match up between Chelsea and Inter Milan, but nothing too exciting in the other ties.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God please let EastEnders get 10m tonight.

I want my Ratings Thread back..... :rolleyes:
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV's flopzone Tuesday may disappear next week but it'll be back with a vengence the week after.

ITV's New Year's Day schedule:
    7.00 Royal Babies
    8.00 Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (on against an hour-long Eastenders)
    9.00 Gary Barlow And Friends (on against Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys)

Owch.

Incidentally, does anyone know when ITV1 officially reverts back to being called ITV?
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, considering Coronation Street didn't get anywhere near 10m for its heavily hyped episodes based around Peter and Carla's return (an excellent trailer in my humble soap-hating opinion) then no chance.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see EastEnders tonight (I haven't watched it for a good month or so) but I was aware that Kat's lover was revealed due to people at work talking about it and seeing the trailer on BBC1. It sounds like it was a big episode, so I'm expecting the BBC1 7.30pm showing to see a significant rise of about a million (8.5-8.7m). If it falls short of 8m, it will be an extremely disappointing result.

As for last night, what on earth happened to The Town? I wasn't expecting it to fall so low!

Coronation Street is doing OK, but it should be doing a lot better. And it deserves to as it's been brilliant recently.
    Coronation Street is doing fine, overnights of over 8m and hitting 9/10m in officials. It's the healthiest of all the soaps.

Watched EastEnders for the first time in months and I enjoyed it. I disagree with Dan2008 and think that if EE doesn't see a boost it will be a disappointment, especially with the blanket promotion for this episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck with that ratings prediction Robbie! It won't happen. But hopefully it'll do better than in recent weeks.
    iaindb wrote: »
    Well, considering Coronation Street didn't get anywhere near 10m for its heavily hyped episodes based around Peter and Carla's return (an excellent trailer in my humble soap-hating opinion) then no chance.

Not even 10m in the consolidated ratings?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The storyline was awful but the reveal was good. Haven't watched in ages and watched out of curiosity like I think a few viewers would have done. If the rating stays static it'll be a disappointment.
This discussion has been closed.